Invalid "Other files" filling up my phone very rapidly

mkvanvugt

Members
Dec 22, 2020
In the past 2 months or so I have had this issues where the 64G of my xiaomi mi 8 is being bloated by "other files". They appear predominantly when I delete large video files, so I strongly suspect there is a problem in the MIUI 12 with deleting files properly. At some point my phone becomes 99% full and the only thing that fixes it then is to do a full reset to factory settings, which solves the issue, but then once again the "other files" start to accumulate. Sadly, "other files" also seems to be immune to both the native cleaner and deep cleaner apps that come with the system. What should I do?
UPDATE: I now literally saw it happen: the moment I deleted a large video file, the size of my "Video" files went down and the size of my "Other Files" went up by the same amount. Yet there is nowhere in the file manager that I can find the file anymore so I do not know how to delete it.

Last edited:
Hello
If you use TWRP or Orangefox, try to verify that in these folders there are no junk files such as logs or backup copies since they take up a lot.
you should also bear in mind that "others" may be occupied by game files or other files that MIUI cannot put into a category

For anyone that's currently dealing with having to wipe everything on a regular basis. Have you tried switching between EXT4 and F2FS? Maybe it's a bug in one of the file system implementations and until they get it fixed you could switch to the other. If F2FS is bugged, I would think the performance penalty with EXT4 would be well worth not having to deal with regular wiping.