POCO M3 Xiaomi.eu ROM Beginner Questions

ppGabe

Members
Jan 26, 2021
Hello! I'm a complete beginner when it comes to this, please bear with me. I don't want to brick my new toy!
I'm currently in day 5 of waiting to unlock bootloader.

Q1: When you install the custom ROM via fastboot, can I update it via OTA?
The last fastboot version for POCO M3 is xiaomi.eu_multi_POCOM3_V12.0.3.0.QJFMIXM_v12-10-fastboot, but I want to be updated to xiaomi.eu_multi_POCOM3_V12.0.4.0.QJFMIXM_v12-10

Q2:
If not, can I just install the fastboot version, install OrangeFox, then flash the latest version via OrangeFox?
I want to install the Xiaomi.eu ROM first because apparently there's some problems with the stock ROM and OrangeFox.
Q2.1: Am I making the process too complicated?
Q2.2: Can you suggest a better, easier, and faster way of installing the Xiaomi.eu ROM, a custom recovery, and Magisk for root?

That is all for now. I might ask some follow up questions though, depending on whether I fully understand or not :) Hopefully that is tolerable.

Hello, newbie! :p

Q1: You can update ROM via OTA only if you have a working custom recovery (TWRP, OrangeFox, etc.) installed in the "recovery" partition of your device... ;)

Q2: ... So you can simply install OrangeFox (if available for your device) => Format Data (it's the button's name in "Wipe" menu and you have to type 'yes' to confirm it) => Reboot to "Recovey" => Install latest xiaomi.eu ROM (then Magisk v21.4, if you want to be rooted) and reboot your device. :)

Q2.1: Yes, a little bit. ^^ You really don't need to install the "fastboot" ROM version.

Q2.2: Don't know what you mean by "faster way". :D

Hello, newbie! :p
Hi!
Q1: You can update ROM via OTA only if you have a working custom recovery (TWRP, OrangeFox, etc.) installed in the "recovery" partition of your device...
Yep. This requirement seems to be satisfied since there's already unofficial versions of TWRP and OrangeFox for the POCO M3. Nice.
Q2: ... So you can simply install OrangeFox (if available for your device) => Format Data (it's the button's name in "Wipe" menu and you have to type 'yes' to confirm it) => Reboot to "Recovey" => Install latest xiaomi.eu ROM (then Magisk v21.4, if you want to be rooted) and reboot your device.
I do format data in OrangeFox first, reboot to recovery, then what I'm guessing I need to do here is connect my phone to my PC to transfer the Xiaomi.eu ROM and Magisk to my phone's internal storage then continue. Is this correct?
Q2.1: Yes, a little bit. ^^ You really don't need to install the "fastboot" ROM version.
Beginner mistakes :)
Q2.2: Don't know what you mean by "faster way".
Well, I was thinking of a procedure that's less complicated that what I have in mind right now, which is:
  1. Install the last Xiaomi.eu fastboot ROM
  2. Install OrangeFox via fastboot
  3. Install the latest Xiaomi.eu ROM and Magisk v21.4 via OrangeFox
But as you said, OTA works when I have a custom recovery installed so step 3 isn't necessary, just for Magisk only. Thinking of reversing the steps too.

FOLLOW UP: Would removing my lockscreen password and fingerprints solve this "encryption" problem TWRP and OF for the POCO M3 currently have?
Apparently the stock ROM has problems with encryption/decryption, resulting in gibberish folders while in recovery. This is the reason why I want to install the Xiaomi.eu ROM before OrangeFox, as that ROM doesn't have the mentioned problems. If yes, then I can follow your advice from Q2.

I do format data in OrangeFox first, reboot to recovery, then what I'm guessing I need to do here is connect my phone to my PC to transfer the Xiaomi.eu ROM and Magisk to my phone's internal storage then continue. Is this correct?
Yes, correct. :)

FOLLOW UP: Would removing my lockscreen password and fingerprints solve this "encryption" problem TWRP and OF for the POCO M3 currently have?
Apparently the stock ROM has problems with encryption/decryption, resulting in gibberish folders while in recovery. This is the reason why I want to install the Xiaomi.eu ROM before OrangeFox, as that ROM doesn't have the mentioned problems. If yes, then I can follow your advice from Q2.
I don't know for your device but maybe you can only use pattern instead of pin/password (for now). Pattern, instead of pin/password, can work for decrypt /data partition in TWRP/OrangeFox.

Follow my advice from Q2. ;)

• Love
Reactions: ppGabe
Yes, correct. :)

I don't know for your device but maybe you can only use pattern instead of pin/password (for now). Pattern, instead of pin/password, can work for decrypt /data partition in TWRP/OrangeFox.

Follow my advice from Q2. ;)
Okay, thank you very much. I think I'm ready. I'll be following what you said from Q2. Wish me luck, and I hope to bring good news by February 3.

Reactions: Poney70
Good news! I was able to successfully install OrangeFox, Xiaomi.eu, and Magisk :) Not without regrets though, I tried using adoptable storage and I regret it, will reformat the SD card as external and do a factory reset in OrangeFox again. Factory resetting doesn't erase Xiaomi.eu, right? After formatting I can just reboot to system?

Good news! I was able to successfully install OrangeFox, Xiaomi.eu, and Magisk :) Not without regrets though, I tried using adoptable storage and I regret it, will reformat the SD card as external and do a factory reset in OrangeFox again. Factory resetting doesn't erase Xiaomi.eu, right? After formatting I can just reboot to system?
Right, and yes. ;)

• Love
Reactions: ppGabe