Problem with not using internal DNS derived from DHCP configuration

sbobi

Members
Aug 1, 2021
Hi,
Sorry to ask about this. It seems that there is a bug existing in DNS configuration and usage in WLAN environment. In our company the DNS servers are restricted to internal ones only. I can't access any ressource because the Redmi Note 10 tries to resolve every request over the Gogle DNS only.
I cross-checked it by some traffic captures on the firewall.
Is there a possibility to fix that? Even I changed to static addressing in WLAN configuration it is not working. So it sucks really.

Kind regards

Sbobi

Reactions: OXOTA
Hello,

I guess you should disable "Private DNS" feature in phone's settings => Connection & sharing => Private DNS

;)

Hello,

I guess you should disable "Private DNS" feature in phone's settings => Connection & sharing => Private DNS

;)
It is disabled and the requests are still going over Google instead the local one configured. Even both (phone and DNS) are now in the same LAN segment, mos t request are using the wrong DNS server. It is a Redmi Note 10 pro (MIUI 12.5.3.0(RKFEUXM))

I removed the SIM cards and turned on WLAN only - then it worked. It must be a problem when SIM is installed. At this point the local DNS is not function any more. Also when you turn off mobile data. And Private DNS is still disabled.

Last edited:
Update:
I captured the traffic destined to DNS server. My findings show a strange behaviour of the Xiaomi. DNS traffic is send out bei Xiaomi with correct source IP and correct MAC address, to the destination IP address of the DNS server, but the MAC address of the gatwaway is used instead the correct one of the DNS Server (both Xiaomi and DNS server are locally in the same LAN segment, so this should never happen - network basics, IP stack problem).

Hi,
Sorry to ask about this. It seems that there is a bug existing in DNS configuration and usage in WLAN environment. In our company the DNS servers are restricted to internal ones only. I can't access any ressource because the Redmi Note 10 tries to resolve every request over the Gogle DNS only.
I cross-checked it by some traffic captures on the firewall.
Is there a possibility to fix that? Even I changed to static addressing in WLAN configuration it is not working. So it sucks really.

Kind regards

Sbobi
I encountered the same issues on my xiaomi.eu Mi9 as well. Apparently the OS is using the Google DNS when it's not able to access the ISP DNS. It's a really strange behavior .

I find a solution to modify your DNS settings. You may go to your 'WiFi settings' on your phone and set your 'IP settings' from DHCP to static and voila.

I find a solution to modify your DNS settings. You may go to your 'WiFi settings' on your phone and set your 'IP settings' from DHCP to static and voila.
For me, even this is not working. I did set DNS statically, but the phone is still using the Google DNS. This is kind of weird and honestly I don't like it.

For me, even this is not working. I did set DNS statically, but the phone is still using the Google DNS. This is kind of weird and honestly I don't like it.
I also faced the same issue. even set it to fixed DNS server, the phone still use Google DNS. This bug is seems not fixed.

I also faced the same issue. even set it to fixed DNS server, the phone still use Google DNS. This bug is seems not fixed.
I just realised the Private DNS option in my phone is set to "Auto"
Once I set it to "Off" then I can use the DNS Server which I selected.