Redmi 3 Pro Gps Issue

dzenk

Members
Nov 5, 2016
I have the following problem; I get an instant fix and a bunch of satelites as soon as I start the GPS and an app that requires the GPS. Even from inside of the building I'm getting 3 or 4 satelites and the fix.

But after some time (1/2 - 5 minutes) I loose the fix for about 20 seconds, then it's back. After a couple of minutes it happens again and again. In the time as I don't have the fix, the 'GPS Test' freezes - if it ran before or it doesn't show any satelites - if I start it in the time as no fix is there.

The problem exist from the moment I've got the Redmi. I've changed from the 'shop' rom to MIUI 7 Global to MIUI 8 Global. No improvement. I would exclude a hardware problem since there is always the same pattern (mentioned above) and it happens also if thephone isn't moved.

It seems to me, like some proces stops the GPS Tracking, but the tracking restarts after some seconds again...

I'm sorry, but I don't find an explanation and solution for that. Any ideas? Is this issue known to anybody and would it be solved if I install the eu rom?

It's a common issue, I really do not know the reason. I think it's not an hardware problem, because since I installed cm everything works fine. So it was a software problem

Inviato dal mio Redmi 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Thanks greenlabel. Funny, you say that that is a common issue but I couldn't find anything about it in different forums...
It's a pitty since I find the 8 global ok, apart that some languages are missing.
Well I'll have to play with the bootloader and try to install the CM...

In Italian forum we discuss a lot about this. Not everybody but many people noticed this problem (mainly with Google Maps, a little less with Nokia here).
I do not know the really reason cause not everybody had the same Rom (someone official, someone xiaomi.eu, someone miui.it, someone with locked bl,someone unlocked).
I was thinking to find a solution but when I flashed cm (I was missing my Nexus) I noticed that GPS worked fine. I was thinking to go back Miui in a couple of days but my Nexus side has won for now. If u wanna try, I can really recommend cm13 rc1 by Anik, it's stable and works fine.

Anyway, I sow that for a lot of modded Miui (for example thunder, if I remember good) the modder indicates 'gps fix', so probably the issue is known and maybe there's a way to fix it directly in Miui

I noticed this issue as well from a month or so and I thought the app"GPS status" could fix it as it did with a previous phone, but that didn't help.
Also manually editing the gps.conf file did not work.
Apparently I just fixed the issue with TOPntp, which basically overwrites the gps.conf with different settings and server.

Reactions: LOLO9393
Hi feuerbach81, can you please describe what exactly did you do with the TOPntp? Does the phone have to be rooted for that?
I also have the following problem, bootloader is unlocked, but the PC doesn't recognise the phone when it's in fastboot... Problem with the drivers I guess, I'm working on it...
Grüße

Hi feuerbach81, can you please describe what exactly did you do with the TOPntp? Does the phone have to be rooted for that?
I also have the following problem, bootloader is unlocked, but the PC doesn't recognise the phone when it's in fastboot... Problem with the drivers I guess, I'm working on it...
Grüße
Simply install the app, allow root permissions then open it and clic on "save file and reboot".
I forgot to mention it in the previous post, the app obviously requires a rooted device, but that's not a big deal if you are on this forum.
And if you play with pokemon go, simply unable superuser after you fixed your gps :)

I installed the app before I got the answer from feuerbach. Since my Redmi wasn't rooted it didn't work. I tried to root it but I was stuck at the bootloop. Since the TWRP recovery was still working I installed the cm 13 by anik.
Gps is working now without problems. So it's definitly not a HW issue. I guess I'm a bit too old to play the Pokemon go ;) ...
I guess I'll stay with the cm for a while. Everything works, I still have to see about the energy consumption. It takes much less ressources then MIUI but opticaly I would prefer MIUI. I have the feeling, that MIUI has somehow more vivid colors and better contrast.
Yes, It's a dilema.
Any experience with xiaomi eu roms?

Last edited:
I was on .eu Rom, they're good but with the GPS issue you know.
In cm13 also smart lock with position works good.
Look is quite different from Miui, it's a personal question to like more one or the other.
Right now I feel good with anik Rom, everything works really good and power consumption is OK (similar to Miui, maybe a Little less with my usage, but it's difficult to notice it).
Anik is working on cm14.1, I'm waiting for a stable version.
In cm13,if you want different look, there's the possibility to install a lot of themes.
The only thing I can suggest is to do a nandroid backup before starting to install themes,because if the theme is not perfect it can create problem in all Rom. So, if you find problems and going back to stock theme you do not solve, you can restore nandroid backup in a couple of minutes.

Back to MIUI, this time to the one from the xiaomi.eu . I switched back from CM13 because the battery consumption was about 20% higher and from the optical reasons.
I'm sad to say - the GPS problem is back - also after I rooted the .eu rom and installed the TOPntp (tested with different setups) as suggested by feuerbach81.

I don't know what to do... With MIUI I'm having the feeling that I own a premium phone but the GPS issue.
By CM everything works, but what suppose to be black is a glowing dark silver (contrast problem) and the colors are somehow dull. The optics in general bother me somehow - there is just not a higher class feeling. And the battery consumption is a bit higher - there are 3 or 4 hours missing to get through 3 days of use what is easily done with the MIUI in my case.

I took a look what is going on with the CM14. It seem like the Anik stopped the development?

If you take a look at GPS.conf right after installing any recent .eu rom, you will see all the lines are commented out.
I believe you could just edit it with root permissions (there are a few specifically meant for Italy/Europe) and apps like root browser or similar.
I'll do some tests after installing the upcoming rom overwriting the file via adb: installing and uninstalling SuperSU is a waste of time.
Regarding CM, I really love it, but this phone best advantage is the battery and I don't wanna miss it.

actually im not sure if it is a bug. if i understand you right, you loose gps fix when the screen is inactive. this is because of the default xiaomi power saving feature. i had that problem when trying to track hikes on holiday. as long as display is on everything works as soon as display locked no gps.
the solution is to give the apps the right permissions. its now in security app -> battery -> power saving for apps (the button with the lightbulb).
then i think you have to select the app and use no restriction. (edit 2: set app to no restriction and then u get a new setting for background location service below. u gotta set this to "granted" in order to work and mby also lock the app in taskmanager so it doesnt get closed accidently.) i can't test it as i dont have a suitable app installed right now. if it doesn't: search for 'miui gps fix in standby"
hope i did understand your problem right and it helps.

edit: it's also in settings --> battery --> manage apps battery usage. there it says that restriction can affect gps. its hidden really well if you don't know where to look...

Last edited:
@Illumino
No it is a miui bug !

The proof is that everything works well under CM13

No running app works (endomondo, runtastic etc...) with miui 8

I do not understand why this problem is always present especially by seeing all the post regarding this kind of problems

No it is a miui bug !
It's not.

I'm using Strava, Google Maps, Orux and all the others and had the same problems. Still since I changed settings for power saving problems are gone.

GPS is working on CM out of box because there aren't these settings!

@Illumino
No it is a miui bug !

The proof is that everything works well under CM13

No running app works (endomondo, runtastic etc...) with miui 8
I tried it yesterday installed gps logger and went for a walk. with power saving adapted it did never stop tracking no matter if display was on or off. only the accuracy was not that great (>10 meters). so you do not loose the fix if power saving is set correctly.
tried it on 6.12.1 and 6.12.9 same result.

So i have tested since yesterday on three redmi 3 pro this manipulation.

Disable mi.com location from the Settings and Account menu and then restart the redmi 3 pro.

Endomondo / runtastic and run keeper work perfectly .

If I reactivate the mi / com localization nothing works so it is a problem with miui!

Interesting. Did you try to use navigation (google maps, Nokia here or other)?

Tapatalkato dal mio Redmi3