Switching to Mi 11 Ultra - Newbie Questions

DrivingDegree

Members
Jul 10, 2021
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I've been reading a couple of posts here which seem to be extremely helpful so thanks in advance for all that :). I have placed an order for a Mi 11 Ultra from China with stock firmware (China ROM) and I have a couple of questions since this will be my first Xiaomi device ever. Please note I am based in Mexico and I don't have any issues with using the device in English all the time (I prefer it), but I've seen the China ROM still has some chinese apps and screens without translation. So:

1. Is it recommended to stay on the China ROM for any reason? Or would you recommend/prefer to unlock the bootloader and flash Xiaomi.eu latest stable version?
2. Does anyone know if all Google Apps and Android Auto work in China ROM and/or Xiaomi.eu? I use Android Auto very frequently along with all google apps and I wouldn't like to lose that functionality vs my current phone (Note 10+).
3. Is there any issue with Netflix, Amazon Prime or Banking apps with either China or Xiaomi.eu ROMs?
4. Is there any advantage or reason to install the official Xiaomi Global ROM? I've read updates are slower and safetynet can also fail in those versions so I don't see why would someone install those (?).
5. Is there any feature that is in the China ROM but NOT in the Xiaomi.eu ROM or viceversa?
6. Any known bugs in latest China ROM and latest stable Xiaomi.eu ROM?
7. How stable are Xiaomi.eu Weekly ROMs?
8. Does Xiaomi.eu update via OTA like any other phone (without data loss), or is it particularly hard/cumbersome to update every time via OTA?

I am switching to Xiaomi since my current daily driver (Samsung Note 10+ Exynos) is overheating and has a false contact sometimes in the charge port; S21 Ultra is not an option for me in Mexico as supply is scarce right now and I don't want another Exynos phone due to thermal and battery issues. OP 9 Pro was in my list but the camera is not convincing at all for what it costs. Importing S21 Ultra with Snapdragon from US was more expensive than importing Mi 11 Ultra from China too and Xiaomi seems to have better hardware so I'll give it a try.

I appreciate a lot any help and tips you can provide me to make this transition to Xiaomi a little easier. Thanks in advance! :)

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I've been reading a couple of posts here which seem to be extremely helpful so thanks in advance for all that :). I have placed an order for a Mi 11 Ultra from China with stock firmware (China ROM) and I have a couple of questions since this will be my first Xiaomi device ever. Please note I am based in Mexico and I don't have any issues with using the device in English all the time (I prefer it), but I've seen the China ROM still has some chinese apps and screens without translation. So:

1. Is it recommended to stay on the China ROM for any reason? Or would you recommend/prefer to unlock the bootloader and flash Xiaomi.eu latest stable version?
2. Does anyone know if all Google Apps and Android Auto work in China ROM and/or Xiaomi.eu? I use Android Auto very frequently along with all google apps and I wouldn't like to lose that functionality vs my current phone (Note 10+).
3. Is there any issue with Netflix, Amazon Prime or Banking apps with either China or Xiaomi.eu ROMs?
4. Is there any advantage or reason to install the official Xiaomi Global ROM? I've read updates are slower and safetynet can also fail in those versions so I don't see why would someone install those (?).
5. Is there any feature that is in the China ROM but NOT in the Xiaomi.eu ROM or viceversa?
8. Does Xiaomi.eu update via OTA like any other phone (without data loss), or is it particularly hard/cumbersome to update every time via OTA?

I am switching to Xiaomi since my current daily driver (Samsung Note 10+ Exynos) is overheating and has a false contact sometimes in the charge port; S21 Ultra is not an option for me in Mexico as supply is scarce right now and I don't want another Exynos phone due to thermal and battery issues. OP 9 Pro was in my list but the camera is not convincing at all for what it costs. Importing S21 Ultra with Snapdragon from US was more expensive than importing Mi 11 Ultra from China too and Xiaomi seems to have better hardware so I'll give it a try.

I appreciate a lot any help and tips you can provide me to make this transition to Xiaomi a little easier. Thanks in advance! :)

1. Yes of course ! Chinese stock full of Chinese apps, poor sync with Google services.
Xiaomi Eu is based on the cn but without all Chinese stuff, without blotware and ads, full languages and full google service.
2. I don't know specifically on Android auto app, but I'm sure That it will work better in eu rom
3.in my mi 11 pro i had a problem with Netflix, get slow pic on HDR video's, solved when i moved to eu rom.
5. Again, eu is based on cn rom, so i think all features on the cn existing in eu rom.
6. In mi 11 pro/ultra eu rom bugs- cant add wireless payment, and music with Bluetooth interrupted by notification sound/whatsapp messages sound.
7. Don't know
8. OTA in eu rom isn't really available, you download the upadte zip from ota, but install it on TWRP. Very simple and easy, and no computer needed.
I really recommend you, enjoy your device!

Reactions: Poney70
Hello,

I am in San Diego, and I imported my phone from China since it is cheaper than the Global one. Once I got it I used the Mi Unlock Tool to unlock the bootloader. You will need to establish a Mi account prior to that as you will need to bind your phone to your account. Then wait 7 days once it was unlocked, the device can be flashed. I always use the Xiaomi.eu roms as it has more features and Google services. It's pretty straight forward procedure to install TWRP recovery and rom and both are outlined on this forum. BTW, once you unlock your phone, if will reboot and format your phone by doing a factory refresh. So if you have any data/photos, etc...you need to back that up first.

Last edited:

Why would you not flash the Xiaomi EU ROM. It has the best of all versions and as it's based predominantly on the Chinese stock versions, it will always have the latest updates and no Chinese language apps. Yes you have to unlock but with the EU ROM, you don't lose any security because of the unlock state

All Google apps work, not like the hacked version put on some Chinese exported phones. Yes Android auto works but you need a good cable. Seems some usb cables are not as good as others where Android auto is concerned

The EU ROM passes widevine L1 DRM and safetynet, so you should not have any issues with banking apps. You may need to delete the twrp folder for some odd ones but I've not heard of any not working without rooting the phone.

The Global ROM uses Google's phone and message app, not Xiaomi. They don't fail safetynet but don't update regularly either. I have tried the Global ROM but never got on with it, the EU is a much better version for me

There is a massive list of what's extra in the EU over the stock Chinese and there is nothing you would notice to keep using the Chinese version

As the EU ROM is based on the Chinese, any bug's would be transposed over but at least they get fixed quicker

I use the weekly, have no issues but it's your own choice. Do you mind updating weekly?

Updates are now updated by using TWRP recovery. You can download and install manually or wait for the ota update notification and use the download app to get the ROM, check it and reboot to TWRP. You then unlock TWRP and install it, wipe dalvik and reboot system. It is no big deal.

Why would you not flash the Xiaomi EU ROM. It has the best of all versions and as it's based predominantly on the Chinese stock versions, it will always have the latest updates and no Chinese language apps. Yes you have to unlock but with the EU ROM, you don't lose any security because of the unlock state

All Google apps work, not like the hacked version put on some Chinese exported phones. Yes Android auto works but you need a good cable. Seems some usb cables are not as good as others where Android auto is concerned

The EU ROM passes widevine L1 DRM and safetynet, so you should not have any issues with banking apps. You may need to delete the twrp folder for some odd ones but I've not heard of any not working without rooting the phone.

The Global ROM uses Google's phone and message app, not Xiaomi. They don't fail safetynet but don't update regularly either. I have tried the Global ROM but never got on with it, the EU is a much better version for me

There is a massive list of what's extra in the EU over the stock Chinese and there is nothing you would notice to keep using the Chinese version

As the EU ROM is based on the Chinese, any bug's would be transposed over but at least they get fixed quicker

I use the weekly, have no issues but it's your own choice. Do you mind updating weekly?

Updates are now updated by using TWRP recovery. You can download and install manually or wait for the ota update notification and use the download app to get the ROM, check it and reboot to TWRP. You then unlock TWRP and install it, wipe dalvik and reboot system. It is no big deal.
Here's what I did, Unlock the bootloaderonce I did that make sure that the bootloader is unlocked in developer options and USB Debugging is also checked (toggled). Then I rebooted to fastboot. I made sure that all my Windows drivers, etc were already installed, as well as, your ADB/Fastboot files. I downloaded TWRP and copied to my ADB directory. I also downloaded the Xiaomi.eu rom to C: drive my PC. I then ran the <fastboot boot twrp.img> command. This booted into TWRP, Ithen formated the storage and rebooted the device back into recovery. You may have to run the <fastboot boot twrp.img> command again. After that, I copied the rom over and flashed it. During the orginal install, TWRP 3.5.1 is permanently installed.

To install the EEA or Global roms download the oficial.TGZ fastboot files from Xiaomi and use the MiFlash tool. Directions are on the Xiaomi community website.

Reactions: lurkingintheforest

Sorry just a quick question about weekly update, you mentioned you should wipe dalvik, I haven't been doing this. Is wiping dalvik the correct process then?

Sorry just a quick question about weekly update, you mentioned you should wipe dalvik, I haven't been doing this. Is wiping dalvik the correct process then?
Yes,it clears any cache from apps or settings that may have been updated in the update. That is why it is presented to you after a manual update next to reboot system. In the ota update, a script runs it before reboot, so you don't see the option.

Yes,it clears any cache from apps or settings that may have been updated in the update. That is why it is presented to you after a manual update next to reboot system. In the ota update, a script runs it before reboot, so you don't see the option.
I see, I have been doing the updates OTA, so it has been doing it automatically? thank for this

Reactions: Mark F
Wiping cache is preferable in that it helps to eliminate older data in cache that can cause problems with a newer istall of an OS or app.

This is just a link advertising the EDL flash by (someone who has the EDL codes, not a service center) Xiaomi Authorised account.
Very handy if you brick your phone.

This is just a link advertising the EDL flash by (someone who has the EDL codes, not a service center) Xiaomi Authorised account.
Very handy if you brick your phone.
This is for people with stolen phones that can't unlock their phones legally, right? If you are able to access Fastboot you should be able to run the the MiUnlock tool from your PC and unlock your device and flash by either installing TWRP or the MiFlash tool.

This is for people with stolen phones that can't unlock their phones legally, right? If you are able to access Fastboot you should be able to run the the MiUnlock tool from your PC and unlock your device and flash by either installing TWRP or the MiFlash tool.
No, this is for people who have bricked there phone through fastboot and can get a ROM back on their phone again to work. Some people with 11 ultra's have been having problems with a fastboot loop. These people have already unlocked their bootloaders.

No, this is for people who have bricked there phone through fastboot and can get a ROM back on their phone again to work. Some people with 11 ultra's have been having problems with a fastboot loop. These people have already unlocked their bootloaders.
How do you brick your phone through fastboot? I have had 5 Xiaomi phones and never brick my phone through fastboot.

Not easy until you come across the AB partition system that the one+6 and 11 Ultra uses. The script can run on the wrong partition leaving it useless (as it was not known to be an issue at first release). Just a continuous fastboot loop. Obviously you have already unlocked the bootloader. For the 11 Ultra, if you have not read here about it, had its first fastboot EU ROM script bricking the device's. Only from Stock Chinese. So ok if you ran it from EEA or Global to EU but sometimes from Chinese, it would brick. Mine included. But a quick call to an Xiaomi approved account holder (or someone who has the key gen) and an EDL flash to Global, then forward with a fastboot flash to EU. Obviously this was before a working TWRP was released.
Xiaomi used to allow EDL flashes by customers but withdrew it a few years ago but somehow, the codes or a key gen used to provide EDL codes for miflash was found and now these guys are our last resort. But for a £23 charge, it was worth it.

Reactions: Poney70
The Mi A2 had an A/B partition. So did the 10 pro, I believe. Not sure about the Mix 2 or 2S. Of course, I could legally unlock the bootloaders with my properly registered Mi accout.

Last edited:
The Mi A2 had an A/B partition. So did the 10 pro, I believe. Not sure about the Mix 2 or 2S. Of course, I could legally unlock the bootloaders with my properly registered Mi accout.
But as I said, this has nothing to do with unlocking bootloaders or mi accounts. This is further on the route to flashing customs ROMs. Everyone had already fully bonded their phones to their mi accounts. They had to to unlock their bootloaders to flash the EU ROM.
The issues came during the process of the first fastboot flash from Chinese stock ROMs. There was no issues when fastboot flashing from a Global or EEA model. It was just something that affected the flash of the Chinese stock to EU. It seems to have not flashed the active partition properly and was unable to change to the other partition. I don't know the exact reason but it did leave many people with just fastboot loop. Recovery had been corrupted, so and EDL flash was the only way out. I've not had any problems with my O+6 AB partition system, so it was just one of those things. But again, this has nothing to do with dodgy accounts, locked bootloaders or stolen phone workarounds.

But as I said, this has nothing to do with unlocking bootloaders or mi accounts. This is further on the route to flashing customs ROMs. Everyone had already fully bonded their phones to their mi accounts. They had to to unlock their bootloaders to flash the EU ROM.
The issues came during the process of the first fastboot flash from Chinese stock ROMs. There was no issues when fastboot flashing from a Global or EEA model. It was just something that affected the flash of the Chinese stock to EU. It seems to have not flashed the active partition properly and was unable to change to the other partition. I don't know the exact reason but it did leave many people with just fastboot loop. Recovery had been corrupted, so and EDL flash was the only way out. I've not had any problems with my O+6 AB partition system, so it was just one of those things. But again, this has nothing to do with dodgy accounts, locked bootloaders or stolen phone workarounds.
I think you are misunderstanding me, if you can access Fastboot and you have a valid Mi account, you should be able to unlock the device again if it has been locked using the Mi Unlock tool. Once you have unlocked the bootloader again, you should be able to flash TWRP or stock rom. I have accidentally relocked the bootloader and unlocked the device again and reflashed the rom. If you were not the original owner and the bootloader had been unlocked and then locked, that device would be bound to the previous owners Mi Account and might not unlock using a different account other than the one that had been bound to it.

On my Mi 11 Ultra, which I imported from China and is the Chinese variant, I have flashed CN stock to EEA, then to Global. Finally installing TWRP and flashing Xiaomi.eu stable then the weekly beta rom in order to compare all the roms with no issue.

Last edited:
The thing is the Mi flash tool only relock your bootloader if you follow the wrong procedure, it doesn't do that for pleasure

The thing is the Mi flash tool only relock your bootloader if you follow the wrong procedure, it doesn't do that for pleasure
yes, but if it is your device and your account is bound to the device and you can access Fastboot, you should be able to unlock the bootloader again.

I think you are misunderstanding me, if you can access Fastboot and you have a valid Mi account, you should be able to unlock the device again if it has been locked using the Mi Unlock tool. Once you have unlocked the bootloader again, you should be able to flash TWRP or stock rom. I have accidentally relocked the bootloader and unlocked the device again and reflashed the rom. If you were not the original owner and the bootloader had been unlocked and then locked, that device would be bound to the previous owners Mi Account and might not unlock using a different account other than the one that had been bound to it.

On my Mi 11 Ultra, which I imported from China and is the Chinese variant, I have flashed CN stock to EEA, then to Global. Finally installing TWRP and flashing Xiaomi.eu stable then the weekly beta rom in order to compare all the roms with no issue.
No, I think it's the other way around. This has absolutely nothing to do with bootloaders, locked or unlocked.

It is about the use of an EDL flash when some users found their phones bricked after using the first fastboot EU ROM from stock Chinese.

yes, but if it is your device and your account is bound to the device and you can access Fastboot, you should be able to unlock the bootloader again.
Yes you can, if you relock your bootloader by mistake (or choice)

Yes you can, if you relock your bootloader by mistake (or choice)
Most people accidentally relock their bootloader by not choosing the correct radio button in MiFlash when they attempt to flash a rom using the MiFlash tool. If they can still access Fastboot, they should be able to log in using their Mi account to their MiUnlock app on their PC and re-unlock their device. I know, I have done it before, so I always make sure to double check that radio button in the lower right hand corner of the app. By default, its on <clean all + lock>. Make sure to uncheck that to one of the others before you hit flash in MiFlash tool.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: keses96 and Goldggg