TWRP Backup : Error 255 in createTarFork() process.

GWp5HYjuug

Members
May 8, 2020
Hello !

* TWRP version : 3.5.0_9_0
* MIUI.eu version : 21.1.28 beta, Android 11
* Magisk : Not installed

I wanted to do a TWRP backup prior to dirty flashing the latest beta version of MIUI.eu, but bump into this error in TWRP. Basically the backup process exits with an error 255. Is there a way to repair this without wiping my device and flashing a previous backup (those are a bit old ... ). Here is the end of my recovery.log file written in the TWRP file - containing the relevant info:

Code:
I:addFile '/data/drm' including root: 1
  ==> set selinux context: u:object_r:drm_data_file:s0
found policy '/data/drm' - '1DK' - '950fc22999e6a9ad'
I:addFile '/data/drm/fwdlock' including root: 1
found policy '/data/drm/fwdlock' - '1DK' - '950fc22999e6a9ad'
I:addFile '/data/drm/fwdlock/kek.dat' including root: 1
I:addFile '/data/extm' including root: 1
  ==> set selinux context: u:object_r:extm_data_file:s0
failed to lookup tar policy for '/data/extm' - '61c1031e7e245788'
I:Error adding file '/data/extm' to '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/30ff47ee/2021-02-14--16-14-58/data.ext4.win000'
Error creating backup.
I:ERROR tarList for thread ID 0
Error creating backup.
I:InfoManager saving '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/30ff47ee/2021-02-14--16-14-58/data.info'
createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255
Backup Failed. Cleaning Backup Folder.

Edit : Would this be safe to still flash the latest MIUI version ?
Edit 2 : Another funny piece of information is that the data/extm folder that's causing the error is seemingly empty - Is it possible to just delete it then ?

Last edited:
Did you activate the second space? Usually this error is related to this situation.

Inviato dal mio Redmi K20 Pro Premium Edition utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: vasil_d
I did face the same problem when I have used SECOND SPACE or DUAL APPS.
Try to remove/uninstall the DUAL APPS , reboot, reboot again in TWRP and try the backup again.

Hello,

Yes, you can safety delete '/data/extm' folder and create your backup.

:)

thanks for your comment. I was looking for this comment if it is really safe to delete that folder. I tried to delete the folder and now I am able to backup in twrp :)

Check the full "recovery.log" to know which path TWRP can't decrypt. ;)

Hello i have the same problem on Redmi Note 9S with OrangeFox 11.0 (i try other twrp but same problem) and MIUI V12.0.2.0.RJWEUXM, but i can't see the content of the data/misc folder via twrp (I see inconsistencies, it is encrypted i think)
what is the problem? please any help
I:Error adding file '/data/misc/DbHfvCx8sfeFjQeZEadC9C/REBbGucJ91VOn,7,WOn4ExA95DM' to '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/a5e4367a/2021-06-18--14-46-30/data.f2fs.win000'
Error creating backup.
Error creating backup.
I:InfoManager saving '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/hjtt4367a/2021-06-18--14-46-30/data.info'

Last edited:
Hello i have the same problem on Redmi Note 9S with OrangeFox 11.0 (i try other twrp but same problem) and MIUI V12.0.2.0.RJWEUXM, but i can't see the content of the data/misc folder via twrp (I see inconsistencies, it is encrypted i think)
what is the problem? please any help
I:Error adding file '/data/misc/DbHfvCx8sfeFjQeZEadC9C/REBbGucJ91VOn,7,WOn4ExA95DM' to '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/a5e4367a/2021-06-18--14-46-30/data.f2fs.win000'
Error creating backup.
Error creating backup.
I:InfoManager saving '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/hjtt4367a/2021-06-18--14-46-30/data.info'
my problem was solved with the latest version OrangeFox-curtana-stable
R11.1 here
(change log: Add support for MIUI 12.x Android 11 decryption)
(redmi note 9s, stock miui V12.0.2.0.RJWEUXM)

I have the same problem and logs every time show me a different patch, always on /data/

How can i solve?

Hello same problem for me with Redmi note 9 pro (joyeuse) :
createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255"
I don't know if this is related but I have also a message in red on startup of backup process : "E:Unable to decrypt FBE device"

Envoyé de mon Redmi Note 9 Pro en utilisant Tapatalk

Hello,

Yes, you can safety delete '/data/extm' folder. ;)

EDIT: In TWRP, go in "Advanced" menu => "Terminal" => Type: rm /data/extm -Rf

Then try to create a backup again now.

:)
Greetings, I'm having the same problem, and I'm trying this solution, but I know how to get to that TERMINAL, but that's explained, you have to write it down and hit the "v" for ok? I do it and it doesn't do anything or I don't know how to apply it... could you explain it to me? thank you

Well, apologies for writing again so soon. I wanted to ask my question again. Looking for solutions, for my problem when making Backups with TWRP, PitchBlack or Orangefox... I have noticed a detail.
I have tried with several modified TWRP, all Recoverys install and open fine. But when doing the Backup with the recovery, I got errors with red letters, you know what I mean, it gives you a warning that the data is going to be saved except for certain things (that's fine with me), but then, error of something with red letters, one of them the one expressed in this thread.
Watching videos of people who are testing Miui 14 with custom roms...in one of them, I noticed that the orangefox recovery file that he had on his phone is not the latest version to download. The latest version of Orangefox, R11.1_5_A12_FBEv2, I installed it and I got errors, and it is true that when the recovery starts, the first thing that comes out are a lot of strange folders, I think they commented on some site that it's like it can't decrypt them the Orange fox. But I decided to download an earlier version of R11.1_3_A12_FBEv1, and when it started, the folders that were visible were read well, that is, they were the folders such as ocm or they are in the internal memory of the mobile... I just tried to do the backup (I select all the boxes), and it is being done without any error.......
Now.....I want to update to miui14 (for ota because I get the notice of the EU Rom), I wonder if that version goes wrong, for example that I don't like how it goes... if I wanted to recover my backup as it was before... can I restore all the checked boxes?, should I do it right?
I can understand that all the recovery problems, when making backups or other functions, is due to the fact that the data in the mobile is encrypted (depending on the rom that is installed), and that the recovery cannot "decrypt" it?... Is that so?... sorry for so much message, thanks