TWRP not decrypting data

The best way to ensure success is:
1. Flash xiaomi.eu rom for fastboot (please use last version).
2. Install TWRP and then flash the rom
This ensures success always :D
However, when using the fastboot rom, the percentage of your phone into a brick is quite high :D
Never, ever had issues with fastboot rom. Have done install using <fastboot boot twrp.img> process, format storage first and then installing rom which creates persistent twrp install simulating a recovery partition. But decryption of data doesn't always work, as twrp sometimes does not recognize the pattern/password that is assigned when installing the rom during initial configuration. When this occurs, the only thing is to totally wipe everything by doing a complete format and doing a brand new install. This defeats the purpose of an OTA upgrade.

Reactions: VultureXT
Never, ever had issues with fastboot rom. Have done install using <fastboot boot twrp.img> process, format storage first and then installing rom which creates persistent twrp install simulating a recovery partition. But decryption of data doesn't always work, as twrp sometimes does not recognize the pattern/password that is assigned when installing the rom during initial configuration. When this occurs, the only thing is to totally wipe everything by doing a complete format and doing a brand new install. This defeats the purpose of an OTA upgrade.
I have not encountered a case of not being able to decrypt data (out of 65 Mi11/Pro/Ultra phones that I installed using TWRP). Before twrp, I had to deal with at least 5 phones that stuck fastboot (brick) when installing fastboot rom.
Most recently I had to deal with a Mi11Pro phone that had fastboot rom installed (12.5.4) but it jumped to slot B. As a result, it stuck fastboot (brick)

Reactions: Poney70
I have not encountered a case of not being able to decrypt data (out of 65 Mi11/Pro/Ultra phones that I installed using TWRP). Before twrp, I had to deal with at least 5 phones that stuck fastboot (brick) when installing fastboot rom.
Most recently I had to deal with a Mi11Pro phone that had fastboot rom installed (12.5.4) but it jumped to slot B. As a result, it stuck fastboot (brick)
I have had to reformat the storage several times and do complete installs over again. There are several others here on this site that have also mentioned having experienced the problem and offered their remedy for it too me.

I have not encountered a case of not being able to decrypt data (out of 65 Mi11/Pro/Ultra phones that I installed using TWRP)....

Well, I have now since factory reset my device and started with a clean install of the latest weekly....

The interesting part is: I can find the decrypted data under /data/media/0 as stated in the workaround link somewhere above this message ;)

For my understanding this can only mean two things:
a) the TWRP is actually decrypting but has some issue with links or mounting under /sdcard (or whatever is leading to the error message)
b) the ROM isn't really encrypting anything (or at least not the internal storage part)

Hi, I have the same problem with my Mi 11 Ultra. Have you managed to find a solution yet?
As linked above you should find all your data in /data/media/0, so you can download updates and install them from there...

Gesendet von meinem M2102K1C mit Tapatalk

Yesterday I installed the Czech weekly rom via / data / media / 0 , the installation was successful but after rebooting the phone no longer booted into the system but ended up in twrp again. When I try to reboot again the phone reports that the operating system is missing. Is there anyone else here who has a problem with twrp on Mi11 Ultra?

Yesterday I installed the Czech weekly rom via / data / media / 0 , the installation was successful but after rebooting the phone no longer booted into the system but ended up in twrp again. When I try to reboot again the phone reports that the operating system is missing. Is there anyone else here who has a problem with twrp on Mi11 Ultra?
Did you format data after flash? You must when changing branches due to possible partition differences. It's the data format that you have to type yes in agreement. It's in the wipe menu of twrp.

So, Is there any new information? Is there any more specific instructions on how to fix this that will definitely work? And without deleting all the information?

So, Is there any new information? Is there any more specific instructions on how to fix this that will definitely work? And without deleting all the information?
No, with the latest OTA I had to use an old fastboot (weekly EU rom) and do the upgrade from there without entering any security info. TWRP wouldn;t even let me do a format from within TWRP since it wouldn;t mount data. TWRP works, as long as you do not enter security info, such as pattern, however if you enter a pattern, FP and face unlock in MIUI, TWRP won't recognize the pattern all the time.

I just saw a video on line. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly it's a workaround. The guys with Mi 11 are having decyption issue as well. Here's the video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Once you enter multiple unlock methods seems to be the issue, such as pattern, fingerprint and face unlock. While it works fine in MIUI, the information is not properly transferred to TWRP and results in the file becoming corrupted. When you recieve OTA and you reboot to TWRP, it often fails to decrypt your data. If this isn't an issue others are experiencing too, there wouldn't be a video created about this. Being defensive won't correct the problem with TWRP 3.5.1.

The best way to ensure success is:
1. Flash xiaomi.eu rom for fastboot (please use last version).
2. Install TWRP and then flash the rom
This ensures success always :D
However, when using the fastboot rom, the percentage of your phone into a brick is quite high :D
How can you deny the problem? It is a widely known issue. There is a decryption problem with TWRP 3.5.1. Watch the video! By The Way a fastboot rom will not brick your phone or xiaomi.eu wouldn't have used it. It's just a script. No different than issuing any ADB command.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hoangsang
Haha, I'm not a TWRP developer. I'm just a user of the TWRP version shared by xiaomi.eu :D

• Haha
So like I said, you know nothing. Please don't give your lies about having done extensive testing when you are user just like anyone else. So why are you being so defensive over a faulty product, if there is no attachment to it?
I work phone installation service and the number of phones I install is a lot :D Sorry, I don't want to argue with you guys. For you twrp is buggy, for me it's perfect :D

I work phone installation service and the number of phones I install is a lot :D Sorry, I don't want to argue with you guys. For you twrp is buggy, for me it's perfect :D
Install is okay, its after the install the problem occurs. The password is corrupted by TWRP and when an OTA comes and you go into TWRP, it will not allow you to decrypt the data. Many people have documented this issue, some have even produced YouTube videos. None of this would have been done if this was perfect.

• Haha
Reactions: hoangsang
Install is okay, its after the install the problem occurs. The password is corrupted by TWRP and when an OTA comes and you go into TWRP, it will not allow you to decrypt the data. Many people have documented this issue, some have even produced YouTube videos. None of this would have been done if this was perfect.
The only response from a phone shop boy. You so smart, you're almost as smart as a box of rocks.

I think I found better solution, all you need to do is flash using fastboot twrp once again on already installed. You can use XiaoMiTool V2 if you don't have ADB. I don't try with lock patter but passwords works fine. The only downside of this is that everytime you will reboot into recovery it would be crypted again, so you need to install TWRP once again (or use OTG :D).

Did you format data after flash? You must when changing branches due to possible partition differences. It's the data format that you have to type yes in agreement. It's in the wipe menu of twrp.
I try to move from stable to weekly but i can not format data using twrp i dont know how to do it

Inside the wipe menu of twrp is a format data option. Use this and type yes when asked to confirm. See attached screenshot

Attachments

• IMG_20210409_154240.jpg
    IMG_20210409_154240.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20210409_154310.jpg
    IMG_20210409_154310.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20210409_154347.jpg
    IMG_20210409_154347.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 295
Inside the wipe menu of twrp is a format data option. Use this and type yes when asked to confirm. See attached screenshot
Yes, you need to format your data first. Then reboot to preferably to Recovery, but Fastboot or TWRP. If you reboot to fastboot, you will need to run the <fastboot boot twrp.img> again. Now copy the rom from your PC to your device. Select <INSTALL> locate your rom and flash it. When it is done flashing, reboot to system. The first install may take upwards of 10 minutes, so be patient and wait!

Yes, you need to format your data first. Then reboot to preferably to Recovery, but Fastboot or TWRP. If you reboot to fastboot, you will need to run the <fastboot boot twrp.img> again. Now copy the rom from your PC to your device. Select <INSTALL> locate your rom and flash it. When it is done flashing, reboot to system. The first install may take upwards of 10 minutes, so be patient and wait!
i already did this before and install the xiaomi.eu rom 12.5.7 and after that update to 12.5.10 but now i want move to weekly and the twrp cannot read data and canot decrypt the data even now i took screnshot from the twrp but it didnt saved when i try to format data i get error twrp cannot mount system