TWRP / Orangefox recovery for Redmi Note 9 Pro (Joyeuse)

Yes if the ROM name has the word fastboot. If it does not contain the word fastboot, it is a recovery ROM that is installed in TWRP or OrangeFox.

Last edited:
Install it using windows_fastboot_update_rom.bat without any problem.
after that i install new orangefox which work great too..
all seems work well since now..

Install it using windows_fastboot_update_rom.bat without any problem.
after that i install new orangefox which work great too..
all seems work well since now..
The .bat file does a format though like previous fastboot files right?
I suspect this one will need to as well in order to update to fbev2, so was wondering if there's any strong reason to update.

there is two .bat files. One just update without format and another for clean install which format data.
I use just to update the rom. since now i have no problem.

Reactions: sir_bazz
****** and Share-it apps cannot create Hotspot connection for file transfer
MIUI 13 for joyeuse

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

TWRP 3.7 for MIUI 13 - miatoll:
Tested: flashed this rom: https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/joyeuse/stable/V13.0.1.0.SJZMIXM/
And Decrypted it
Thank you. Is the source is open?
I have this problem with OrangeFox - guess you solved it? I hope..!
Edit: nope, it fails exactly the same way..

copying '/data/misc/keystore/persistent.sqlite' to '/tmp/misc/keystore/persistent.sqlite'
I:Is encrypted, do decrypt page first
I:Switching packages (TWRP)
I:Set page: 'decrypt'
I:Set page: 'decrypt_pattern'
I:Set page: 'trydecrypt'
I:eek:peration_start: 'Decrypt'
Attempting to decrypt FBE for user 0...
Attempting to decrypt user
Handle is 'cc82fab6864eaaac'
password type: pattern
Using synthetic password method
Attempting to decrypt user's synthetic password
fscrypt::GetPassword_Token
Is_Weaver
using secdis to decrypt spblob
Attempting to unwrap synthetic password blob
spblob v2 / v3
Attempting to unlock user storage
I:recv error on uevent
Attempting to prepare user storage
failed to fscrypt_prepare_user_storage
Free_Return
Failed to decrypt user 0

Full log attached.

I don't know whether it's important or not but /metadata/vold/metadata_encryption is empty for me..

Attachments

• recovery.log.zip
    7.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Reactions: dungphp
Thank you. Is the source is open?
I have this problem with OrangeFox - guess you solved it? I hope..!
Edit: nope, it fails exactly the same way..

copying '/data/misc/keystore/persistent.sqlite' to '/tmp/misc/keystore/persistent.sqlite'
I:Is encrypted, do decrypt page first
I:Switching packages (TWRP)
I:Set page: 'decrypt'
I:Set page: 'decrypt_pattern'
I:Set page: 'trydecrypt'
I:eek:peration_start: 'Decrypt'
Attempting to decrypt FBE for user 0...
Attempting to decrypt user
Handle is 'cc82fab6864eaaac'
password type: pattern
Using synthetic password method
Attempting to decrypt user's synthetic password
fscrypt::GetPassword_Token
Is_Weaver
using secdis to decrypt spblob
Attempting to unwrap synthetic password blob
spblob v2 / v3
Attempting to unlock user storage
I:recv error on uevent
Attempting to prepare user storage
failed to fscrypt_prepare_user_storage
Free_Return
Failed to decrypt user 0

Full log attached.

I don't know whether it's important or not but /metadata/vold/metadata_encryption is empty for me..
OFOX 12.1 or my TWRP 12.1 only for Android 12.1 and 13, not 11
I will try with your log

Reactions: crok.bic
OFOX 12.1 or my TWRP 12.1 only for Android 12.1 and 13, not 11
I will try with your log
Thank you for your time and effort to look into this.
I'm using the Xiaomi.EU Android 12 MIUI V13.0.1.0.SJZMIXM for my Joyeuse.
The interesting (to me) is the fact that the log says that metadata decryption failed - even though there aren't any files in /metadata/vold/metadata_encryption and still the ROM works just fine. For an experiment.. I formated the whole /metadata (I made a backup, just in case..) and rebooted the ROM: works fine. Rebooted to ROM: still saying metadata decryption failed (and thus decrypt of user 0 failed..). But I'm not sure whether the Xiaomi.EU (and the official MIUI) is using metadata anyway (since -as I mentioned- the directory for me is empty and nothing has been generated in that directory after I formated it). Hope this helps you for further investigation.:emoji_thumbsup:I would really love to see a solution for this and I can provide logs and even debugs if you share a debug build. Thanks!

Thank you for your time and effort to look into this.
I'm using the Xiaomi.EU Android 12 MIUI V13.0.1.0.SJZMIXM for my Joyeuse.
The interesting (to me) is the fact that the log says that metadata decryption failed - even though there aren't any files in /metadata/vold/metadata_encryption and still the ROM works just fine. For an experiment.. I formated the whole /metadata (I made a backup, just in case..) and rebooted the ROM: works fine. Rebooted to ROM: still saying metadata decryption failed (and thus decrypt of user 0 failed..). But I'm not sure whether the Xiaomi.EU (and the official MIUI) is using metadata anyway (since -as I mentioned- the directory for me is empty and nothing has been generated in that directory after I formated it). Hope this helps you for further investigation.:emoji_thumbsup:I would really love to see a solution for this and I can provide logs and even debugs if you share a debug build. Thanks!
Can you give me the link of Xiaomi.EU Android 12 MIUI V13.0.1.0.SJZMIXM recovery ? I just tried Xiaomi's fastboot. Thanks
Edit:
I just flashed (fastboot) MIUI V13.0.1.0.SJZMIXM on my device with format data and after installing it still went to TWRP normally, TWRP decrypted the rom just fine. Chances are that you upgrade from Android 11 to 12, so the data has some problem without decrypted the data.

Last edited:
Can you give me the link of Xiaomi.EU Android 12 MIUI V13.0.1.0.SJZMIXM recovery ? I just tried Xiaomi's fastboot. Thanks
Edit:
I just flashed (fastboot) MIUI V13.0.1.0.SJZMIXM on my device with format data and after installing it still went to TWRP normally, TWRP decrypted the rom just fine. Chances are that you upgrade from Android 11 to 12, so the data has some problem without decrypted the data.
Indeed I started with an Android 11 build, one of the first Xiaomi.EU builds and upgraded from build to build to the latest one and yes, indeed at the very moment my /data has the same data as before (I will explain why I emphasise this). But! When I formated /data for testing and started the phone from scratch yes, it was fine in OrangeFox, too! Then when I set a PIN or pattern for screenlock (for reference) since I'm using fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone then it's the same: TWRP and OFox says decrypt unsuccessful BUT I still can browse files on my internal storage and I can see everything in /data, too. Weird! I already formatted the phone and tried to set PIN / pattern from scratch (for reference) but it's really the same.. no joy.. can you please set a PIN / pattern and try again? Without PIN / pattern it works without error message && with PIN / pattern it seemingly decrypts user data, too, but with the infamous error message... Weird!

Indeed I started with an Android 11 build, one of the first Xiaomi.EU builds and upgraded from build to build to the latest one and yes, indeed at the very moment my /data has the same data as before (I will explain why I emphasise this). But! When I formated /data for testing and started the phone from scratch yes, it was fine in OrangeFox, too! Then when I set a PIN or pattern for screenlock (for reference) since I'm using fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone then it's the same: TWRP and OFox says decrypt unsuccessful BUT I still can browse files on my internal storage and I can see everything in /data, too. Weird! I already formatted the phone and tried to set PIN / pattern from scratch (for reference) but it's really the same.. no joy.. can you please set a PIN / pattern and try again? Without PIN / pattern it works without error message && with PIN / pattern it seemingly decrypts user data, too, but with the infamous error message... Weird!
Please test this recovery: https://my.opendesktop.org/s/agNbDopjmrcWoB3
For Android 11 only !

Please test this recovery: https://my.opendesktop.org/s/agNbDopjmrcWoB3
For Android 11 only !
Hi. As I mentioned the actual unit in my hands is running on Xiaomi.EU V13.0.1.0 which is Android 12 and unfortunately I can't check it on Android 11 at the moment. Never the less I tried the TWRP build you posted with the ROM this phone runs on and it does not work, not even asking for PIN / pattern and of course filenames and dirnames on /data remains garbled. (Log attached, just in case).

Attachments

• recovery_for_TWRP-miatoll-Android11-v3.7-10102022.log.txt
    36.9 KB · Views: 140
I added information about the latest versions of both ROM and TWRP/Orange recovery to the first post at the beginning.

Kindly, to anyone who has an idea of how to proceed.
As also reported by others (I think... ?), once the latest ROM for Joyeuse has been updated (13.0.2.0) via Fastboot, and the new Recovery O-Fox (11.1_x_A12) has been flashed, the latter detects that the device is encrypted (even in the absence of an access PIN\password), and access to 'Internal Storage' is impossible, given the encryption of Files and Folders...
However, even in this impasse, I still managed to flash Magisk 25.2 from Recovery, because the \Root partition is normally accessible...
I don't understand anything anymore... !!
I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong, and actually there is a way to get 'Internal Storage' decrypted\readable, or is it actually not (for now?) possible to access it... ??
Infinite thanks to all for your kind attention.

..the new Recovery O-Fox (11.1_x_A12) has been flashed, the latter detects that the device is encrypted (even in the absence of an access PIN\password), and access to 'Internal Storage' is impossible

Guess you flashed the FBEv2 version of OFox (R11.1_4_A12_FBEv2.zip) but MIUI is using FBEv1 (R11.1_3_A12_FBEv1.zip is the latest) so I suggest you to flash the latest FBEv1.

Reactions: Nikko_Foxx
Guess you flashed the FBEv2 version of OFox (R11.1_4_A12_FBEv2.zip) but MIUI is using FBEv1 (R11.1_3_A12_FBEv1.zip is the latest) so I suggest you to flash the latest FBEv1.
Oh...
I Really thank you !!
err... do you think it could be BAD if I flash it over the FBEv1 ?...
Better to do it from Fastboot?

@rbarat:

Allow me: maybe, in the first post, where there are all the links, it could be the case to point out that, flashed the V13.0.2.0, wanting to install the O-Fox Recovery, it is 'Good & Right' to refer to the FBEv1.
Maybe they will all be more savvy than me who fell for it, but that's it...!!
:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: