unlocking bootloader breaks GPay?

gooeyman

Members
Jan 31, 2023
may I confirm this is true for 12SU/13U? Is there a way to retain GPay but still switch from China to EU ROM? If root is needed, I'm afraid it will break my banking apps or other simple apps like Macdonald's too.

I had my phone unrooted on Xiaomi.EU beta and Gpay worked just fine.

Now I am rooted as this is the only really comfortable working way to get 3rd party launcher with gestures (and ad removal is better as well ;))...

Gpay ist still working fine, but this is ofc the usual cat-and-mouse game and may be cumbersome to hide root to all apps...

I had my phone unrooted on Xiaomi.EU beta and Gpay worked just fine.

Now I am rooted as this is the only really comfortable working way to get 3rd party launcher with gestures (and ad removal is better as well ;))...

Gpay ist still working fine, but this is ofc the usual cat-and-mouse game and may be cumbersome to hide root to all apps...

I'm ok if it's cumbersome, but I recall when I rooted my Samsungs last time, hiding root only works for the less secure (especially non-banking) apps. So my question will be if hiding root can work on all apps properly?

GPay will work for you if you install xiaomi.eu ROM. No root needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ok if it's cumbersome, but I recall when I rooted my Samsungs last time, hiding root only works for the less secure (especially non-banking) apps. So my question will be if hiding root can work on all apps properly?
on my rooted device everything works all right - Gpay, Banking apps, Insurance apps.......

on my rooted device everything works all right - Gpay, Banking apps, Insurance apps.......
which tutorial do you follow for rooting yours, and is there a way to unroot & have Google not realize it was ever rooted before?

which tutorial do you follow for rooting yours, and is there a way to unroot & have Google not realize it was ever rooted before?
Before thinking about how to root I'd recommend to think about why :)

I have some very specific personal reasons for rooting and nowadays I more and more wonder whether it's really worth the hassle....

There are some tutorials here on the forum, I can check for a link later - the rooting itself is pretty straight forward, the "hiding root" is constantly becoming more complicated ;)

Before thinking about how to root I'd recommend to think about why :)

I have some very specific personal reasons for rooting and nowadays I more and more wonder whether it's really worth the hassle....

There are some tutorials here on the forum, I can check for a link later - the rooting itself is pretty straight forward, the "hiding root" is constantly becoming more complicated ;)

Yes there are strong reasons for me. Using adaway with root gives almost negligible battery drain, whereas Adguard without root on my 12SU currently is draining my battery like crazy.. so I need to be sure that root/hiding it does not kill off any functionality (especially payments) before I proceed.. since it likely cannot be undone..

Reactions: s3axel
First of all rooting is revertible, you can even unroot an installation without any side effect aside from root-based-functions being lost ;) and if all else fails a clean install (not just reset) will always put everything back on stock.

My procedure for rooting :

Assumptions:
- Bootloader is unlocked
- Xiaomi PC driver is installed
- Magisk app installed on phone
- platform tools from Google installed on PC

1. Patch init_boot.img (must be the one coming with the ROM you have installed) with Magisk app and copy patched image to PC
2. Boot phone to fastboot mode
3. Flash modified image with "fastboot flash init_boot_ab <magisk-image-name>"
4. Reboot phone
5. Setup Magisk (if you don't see Magisk app just reboot again), this will require another reboot to fully install Magisk
6. Enable Zygisk and hide Magisk app by changing name
7. Install Magisk module "systemless hosts"
8. Install current Shamiko module
9. Install current LSposed module
10. Important: reboot after each step 6-9!
11. Install Hide my Applist xposed app, enable and reboot.
12. Setup HMA as described here
13. Force-stop and Clear data for the following apps:
-Play store
-Play Services
-all critical apps like Wallet, Banking-Apps etc
14. Reboot and re-setup all those apps

Now you should be good to go....

If you want to fully remove root just select the "uninstall Magisk" Option in Magisk App, Boot to fastboot and flash original init_boot.img as in Step #3, reboot and uninstall all root-related apps. Most probably you have to go through steps 13+14 again...

For each ROM update go through 1-4 again, no need for the rest...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hyacin and Liviati