Upgrading From Weekly To Stable Rom

promaty

Members
Nov 25, 2016
I've just bought a new Mi 5s and I would like to install a Stable EU rom. However, stable version is not yet available, but we do have Mi 5s support in 6.12.1.

Question: If I install 6.12.1 will I be able to upgrade to stable without flashing my phone and resetting android device ID?

Furthermore when I switch from Official China MIUI to EU weekly using TWRP, will all my data be deleted? I don't quite understand if it is an updater or a clean reinstall.

Last edited:
Furthermore when I switch from Official China MIUI to EU weekly using TWRP, will all my data be deleted? I don't quite understand if it is an updater or a clean reinstall.
AFAIK when going dev <-> stable you should wipe data, otherwise strange errors could happen.
If with "my data" you are asking about pictures, music and other stuff of storage, the answer is no, unless you flash a fastboot rom and pick the option to wipe storage.
In any, if you really care about data you should take a backup on cloud or with app like Titanium Backup and then a backup with TWRP so you can restore your phone.

What's the difference between that xiaomi.eu_multi_MI5S_V8.0.10.0.MAGCNDH_v8-6.0.zip and this xiaomi.eu_multi_MI5S_6.12.1_v8-6.0.zip? And another question, should we download new one weekly? I recently downloaded the first one but confused of things as of now.

The first one is a stable version, the second is a weekly.
For stable V8.0.10.0 is the tagged MIUI version, for weekly you have just V8 and 6.12.1 is the release date (2016.12.1).

The first one is a stable version, the second is a weekly.
For stable V8.0.10.0 is the tagged MIUI version, for weekly you have just V8 and 6.12.1 is the release date (2016.12.1).
That was a fast reply sir and thank you. I'm not quite familiar with things so i hope you'll be patient. What's the difference between stable and weekly? Do you mind elaborating?

All weekly Rom are pretty stable.
I'm on the 6.12.1 who is the only one Rom who bring the bokeh effect to our phone.

All weekly Rom are pretty stable.
I'm on the 6.12.1 who is the only one Rom who bring the bokeh effect to our phone.
What's the features in weekly and what's the features in stable? Im sorry I am new here I cant understand some terms.

That was a fast reply sir and thank you. I'm not quite familiar with things so i hope you'll be patient. What's the difference between stable and weekly? Do you mind elaborating?
Weekly is what is knows upstream as developer; it's the branch where new features are added, but as those features are new they are not deeply tested by a wide user base, so bugs, even serious bugs, could happen. From time to time, when new features seems consolidated and known bugs squashed, a stable version is created.
If you have doubts, you should go with stable.

Weekly is what is knows upstream as developer; it's the branch where new features are added, but as those features are new they are not deeply tested by a wide user base, so bugs, even serious bugs, could happen. From time to time, when new features seems consolidated and known bugs squashed, a stable version is created.
If you have doubts, you should go with stable.
Once I chose either stable or weekly can I change again from another like from stable to weekly or vise-versa? Or is it permanent?

I never found any bugs on weekly Roms for years.

BUT if the bug just happen for the new feature, there is almost no difference with the stable Rom... except some functions missing on the stable one.

Try and you will see.

What's the features in weekly and what's the features in stable? Im sorry I am new here I cant understand some terms.
You should read changelogs on official forum to know what have been added as new feature and what bugs have been fixed.

Yes you can, but it's not recommended. But from Xiaomi.eu stable to xiaomi.eu weekly, I eard from user that it works

I never found any bugs on weekly Roms for years.

BUT if the bug just happen for the new feature, there is almost no difference with the stable Rom... except some functions missing on the stable one.

Try and you will see.
I remember about a weekly for RN2 with a bug causing no notification for sms. It took two weeks to fix that so many people reverted to the previous version.
And AFAIK an upstream developer version was causing brick on Redmi 3 Pro (as far as I can remember) few weeks ago.

Yes you can, but it's not recommended. But from Xiaomi.eu stable to xiaomi.eu weekly, I eard from user that it works
Clearing data should be enough to solved eventual problems.
As you said there are more chances that you'll have problems going from weekly to stable than on the other way around.

Reactions: Adrien R
But it's very rare and you know it. And with twrp it's very easy to restore your backup of the last weekly system partition, or even flash something with adb or MiFlash...

I never eard about this semi-brick for Redmi note 3,roms are tested before xiaomi.eu release it, that's why last week there was no update for our phone for example. So this is looking strange but I trust you. But it was many a rare case for user who flashed the China dev version who is available on en.mi.com because xiaomi.eu test it before, no?

For example I was with a mi5 before, flashing every weekly, and there was no bug so far.

But it's very rare and you know it. And with twrp it's very easy to restore your backup of the last weekly system partition, or even flash something with adb or MiFlash...
Yes, but for people who just want a phone that works and that doesn't care much about new features, think about also people who use their phone to work...or for people that doesn't know about adb twrp and so on, I think it's better installing a stable rom and start experimenting, then when you've learn how to flash backup and recover and feel confident with all the tools needed you can install a weekly. This is just my opinion...

I never eard about this semi-brick for Redmi note 3,roms are tested before xiaomi.eu release it, that's why last week there was no update for our phone for example. So this is looking strange but I trust you. But it was many a rare case for user who flashed the China dev version who is available on en.mi.com because xiaomi.eu test it before, no?
Yes, for what I know: http://en.miui.com/thread-420387-1-1.html
But what if the problem is caused by particular conditions, so affecting a small user base like in this case, and no one reports it?

For example I was with a mi5 before, flashing every weekly, and there was no bug so far.
Great to know!