Viber issues

Ogre78

Members
Jul 5, 2011
I can't get Viber to work properly. The app starts ok, and I can activate it on my phone, but pretty much immediately it says that Viber has been deactivated on this device and that I need to reactivate. When I try that, the same thing happens again.
Have anyone managed to get Viber working with Miui?

Samsung Galaxy S, Miui 1.8.5, English pack

Regards

Johannes

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I have Viber working on MIUI 1.8.5 properly. Also receiving and making calls with no issues.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

I can't get Viber to work properly. The app starts ok, and I can activate it on my phone, but pretty much immediately it says that Viber has been deactivated on this device and that I need to reactivate. When I try that, the same thing happens again.
Have anyone managed to get Viber working with Miui?

Samsung Galaxy S, Miui 1.8.5, English pack

Regards

Johannes

Hi,
This is a member of the Viber Development Team!

In order to isolate the source of the problem, let's try something.
Try removing Viber, install it again, and this time register with a different number (for example - your home number, a family member, a friend, etc.)
Does the problem still persist?

@Stefan & @Ogre78

We suspect that it's some kind of a collision of Viber with MIUI.
Both of you - please check your IMEI serial number and post it here. That information will help us identify the problem.

You can find it in System --> About phone --> Status --> IMEI

I await your replies,
Thanks,
Viber.

Ah, I found out what was wrong!
When I checked the IMEI it seemed a bit off so I checked the IMEI printed behind the battery - they didn't match! I have now restored the efs folder, the IMEI is back on track and Viber seems to be working OK.

Thanks for pointing me to the imei :)

Ah, I found out what was wrong!
When I checked the IMEI it seemed a bit off so I checked the IMEI printed behind the battery - they didn't match! I have now restored the efs folder, the IMEI is back on track and Viber seems to be working OK.

Thanks for pointing me to the imei :)

Excellent!

Please elaborate on your solution, so we can guide other users to do it.
What is this EFS folder, and how exactly do you restore it?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there! I have exactly the same problem! I'm using Google Nexus S, and somehow my IMEI changed to something generic, and now i'm unable to use Viber. I don't have EFS folder backed up, so i'm stuck with this IMEI.

Is there another solution to get Viber working?

Thanks!

@Igor

In your current EFS, try to find a file that contains the IMEI credentials. Then, change the value manually to your real IMEI (found on the back of your phone). Then Viber should work just fine, because you'll go back to having your real, unique IMEI.

EDIT: See the solution posted by paul77 above.

Hi there! I have exactly the same problem! I'm using Google Nexus S, and somehow my IMEI changed to something generic, and now i'm unable to use Viber. I don't have EFS folder backed up, so i'm stuck with this IMEI.

Is there another solution to get Viber working?

Thanks!

I'd be interested to know which rom you flashed to cause this problem. The only NS rom that have seen do this was the Sense port over at xda.

The only way to reinstate your IMEI(if you haven't got a backup) is to send the phone back to Samsung - I'm sure you probably already know that by now.

Sent from my Nexus S using the miuiandroid.com forum app

@Igor

In your current EFS, try to find a file that contains the IMEI credentials. Then, change the value manually to your real IMEI (found on the back of your phone). Then Viber should work just fine, because you'll go back to having your real, unique IMEI.

EDIT: See the solution posted by paul77 above.

I'm afraid that's not possible, the file is encrypted.

Edit.... Perhaps I should have mentioned earlier that Viber works absolutely fine on my phone with MIUI - thanks for a great app :)

@paul77

Do you mean that there is no way to manually change the IMEI that the ROM mistakenly overrode?
What about the link to the guide you posted earlier?

And thanks for for the warm comments. We're glad you're enjoying Viber :)

Like paul77 said it above, there is no way to change it manually because that file is encrypted. So for now, i'm stuck with this generic IMEI, and i'm unable to use Viber. At least i can use my phone :).

There is one tutorial where u can manually change hex values in that encrypted file, but it's only for Galaxy S. We will try to find solution for Nexus S too.

I've rooted my Nexus two days ago, and flashed Brainmaster's MIUI, and tried few kernels.

It would be great if you in Viber could allow this IMEI to have multiple Viber accs :)).
IMEI in question: 004999010640000, many of us stucked with it...

EDIT: and apparently some iPhones have that IMEI too...

@Igor

I wish it were that easy...
We've been going overboard trying to solve this issue, but realized there simply isn't an "easy fix".

In our next big version, Viber 2.1, we will introduce a new ViberID mechanism that will NOT be IMEI-based. This will bypass the identical IMEI problem (caused by the custom ROM that you installed) and allow you to use Viber just fine.

However, you'll need some patience for that :(

@Igor

I wish it were that easy...
We've been going overboard trying to solve this issue, but realized there simply isn't an "easy fix".

In our next big version, Viber 2.1, we will introduce a new ViberID mechanism that will NOT be IMEI-based. This will bypass the identical IMEI problem (caused by the custom ROM that you installed) and allow you to use Viber just fine.

However, you'll need some patience for that :(

That would be great! I just hope that this IMEI won't be blacklisted by some operators.

We will try to find the solution for this problem. For now, only solution is to send the phone to Samsung.

Thanks for your answers...looking forward for Viber 2.1 :)

That would be great! I just hope that this IMEI won't be blacklisted by some operators.

We will try to find the solution for this problem. For now, only solution is to send the phone to Samsung.

Thanks for your answers...looking forward for Viber 2.1 :)

I'd be surprised if brainmasters rom wiped your efs folder but I can't think what else might have done it either. It's a bit of a mystery.

I think only one person ended up being blocked after the issue with the sense rom so you will probably be ok.

I hope you find a solution - good luck.

I'd be surprised if brainmasters rom wiped your efs folder but I can't think what else might have done it either. It's a bit of a mystery.

I think only one person ended up being blocked after the issue with the sense rom so you will probably be ok.

I hope you find a solution - good luck.

Well, it doesn't seem like a coincidence that only ROM holders got stuck with that generic IMEI. It seems that some version of certain ROMs overrode the original IMEI and probably mistakenly kept one person's IMEI out there. Now tons of users of that certain ROM all have the same IMEI, and it interferes with VIber's functionality.

ihave tha same proplem in viber give me this massage viber was deactivated on this device but my mobile samsung galaxy S2

Are you using a custom ROM?

If you are, please check your IMEI number (universal device identification number) inside the phone's "About" page. Once you found it, please compare it with the real IMEI number that's written on the back of your phone.

Some custom ROMs override the original IMEI you had when you received your phone, and this is the cause to the deactivation problem. We plan to provide a fix for this issue soon (Viber 2.1.3) by collecting all the problematic IMEI's from our users, and manually whitelisting them. If you'd like to make sure yours is also included in the list, you can let me know what IMEI is written in the "About" page, so we make sure it's going to be included in our fix.

the number inside the phone not the same number on the back of the phone what can ido to fix this problem and make viber work?

This is a known IMEI to us (it's a generic one, that your ROM "creates").
In Viber 2.1.3 (released in 1-2 weeks), this problem should be fixed.

Our pleasure :)
Feel free to contact me here for any other question/suggestion you might have.