Video Recording Stutters at the Beginning

armin_olat

Members
Mar 1, 2017
Hello!

I've owned a Xiaomi 12 for more than 6 months now and I'm pretty happy with the device.
There were some things that were not perfect, but I managed to resolve most of them by tinkering with the settings.
The one thing that I can't seem to fix is the stuttering when recording video.
Now, the stuttering (frame skip) happens in the beginning of the recording and lasts for a second or two after which the recording is smooth as butter.
This happens every time, doesn't matter if I just started using my phone or used it for an hour, and it's not related to overheating or something like that since my device does not overheat.
The things I've tried to do to fix it:
  • Tried all combinations of resolution and framerate settings
  • Switching to HEVC video
  • Changing the refresh rate of the screen
  • Factory reset
  • Unlocked bootloader and installed Xiaomi.eu rom
  • Tested different combinations of pretty much all settings I could find in the Camera app
  • Wrote to Xiaomi to report the issue, but never heard back
Now, I've seen some reports of people having the same issues both with the Xiaomi 12 and the Xiaomi 12 Pro, but I've found no official statement or resolution.
Hoping that someone who might have had the same issue and resolved it would be willing to share their solution with me.
I've uploaded a short video to showcase the issue. You can see the stuttering in the first 2-3 seconds of the video.
NOTE: The stuttering is visible both when recording and when watching the video later (it's present in the recording).
YouTube Video Example of the Issue

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hello!

I've owned a Xiaomi 12 for more than 6 months now and I'm pretty happy with the device.
There were some things that were not perfect, but I managed to resolve most of them by tinkering with the settings.
Now, the stuttering (frame skip) happens in the beginning of the recording and lasts for a second or two after which the recording is smooth as butter.
This happens every time, doesn't matter if I just started using my phone or used it for an hour, and it's not related to overheating or something like that since my device does not overheat.
  • Factory reset
  • Tested different combinations of pretty much all settings I could find in the Camera app
Now, I've seen some reports of people having the same issues both with the Xiaomi 12 and the Xiaomi 12 Pro, but I've found no official statement or resolution.
Hoping that someone who might have had the same issue and resolved it would be willing to share their solution with me.
I've uploaded a short video to showcase the issue. You can see the stuttering in the first 2-3 seconds of the video.
NOTE: The stuttering is visible both when recording and when watching the video later (it's present in the recording).

Sadly I experience the same behaviour on my XM12 as well, did not manage to find a fix, both with EU and global version of the rom.

Reactions: armin_olat
I have the same issue with global eu. But the weirdest thing is that i had the same problem with the OnePlus 9 Pro

I have it on all my videos from last year when I bought 12s ultra, but after latest 14.0.14.0 eu rom update there is no more issue.

Hello!

• Factory reset

Using tree pruning pics during video recording turned out to be a game-changer for my content creation. These images visually demonstrated the before-and-after transformation, adding depth to my videos and making the process more engaging for my audience. It helped me explain the intricacies of tree pruning techniques effectively. As a result, my viewers found the content more educational and informative, leading to increased engagement, likes, and shares. The visuals enhanced the storytelling, making it more compelling and memorable. The incorporation of tree pruning pics not only boosted the quality of my videos but also expanded my online presence and credibility, contributing to my success as a content creator.
. Here are some thoughts and suggestions:
  1. Hardware or Software Issue: The fact that the stuttering happens consistently, regardless of your phone's usage or overheating, suggests that it might be a software issue rather than a hardware one. It could potentially be addressed in a future software update.
  2. Updates: Keep an eye on system updates for your Xiaomi 12. Sometimes, manufacturers release patches to address such issues. Make sure your phone is running the latest software version.
  3. Community Forums: Xiaomi has an active user community, and often, solutions to common issues can be found on their forums. Other users may have faced the same problem and could offer suggestions or workarounds.
  4. Xiaomi Customer Support: It's unfortunate that you haven't received a response from Xiaomi yet. Try reaching out to their customer support again, as they might be able to provide a solution or escalate the issue to their technical team.
  5. Third-Party Camera Apps: Consider trying third-party camera apps to see if the issue persists. Sometimes, these apps offer more flexibility and fewer issues.
  6. Professional Help: If the issue remains unresolved, you might want to take your device to a Xiaomi service center or a qualified technician who can diagnose and potentially fix the problem.
Remember to back up your data before performing any major troubleshooting steps, such as a factory reset or ROM installation. It's frustrating when technical issues persist, but with patience and persistence, you may find a solution that makes your Xiaomi 12's video recording experience smoother.

Last edited:
Reactions: armin_olat