What is the problem if I do not install any custom ROM and continue with using the official China Rom pre-installed on Mi 8 SE?

Adly2010

Members
Aug 31, 2018
What is the problem if I do not install any custom ROM and continue with using the official China Rom pre-installed on Mi 8 SE? I am an English user and China Rom has the English language and I can install Google Play and other Google Apps >> so what is the problem if I used this China ROM?

So, why do many English users remove their China ROM and install a custom ROM?
Because they like it more than the China's.
I don't mind English on my phone but because of specific apps I prefer it on local language. I believe that xiaomi.eu ROM is better optimized for EU countries. Usually I unlocked bootloader to try Chinese developer version but then with TWRP recovery and magisk I can try many experimental features and great apps like Viper4android. Sure you can do the same with Chinese rom too but once the bootloader is unlocked I find it easier with xiaomi.eu rom. But to be onest I miss encryption by default and APK signature passed on xiaomi.eu roms. On the other hand official MIUI forum has become so confusing and with no support by official staff members that makes that forum pointless. In the end it's all about personal preference and what you want to use your phone for I believe.

Don't know about SE. But when I first got my Mi 8 with Chinese ROM, and installed Google apps, the contacts wouldn't sync. Google Pay didn't work. It also didn't allow changing the launcher and some other default apps.

to me, google service is the main reason i perfer global/ EU ROM over China ROM :emoji_smile:

The only difference is the google framework i guess, and china dev rom wouldn't pass safetynet

There are a LOT of changes, this list of posted on every single release thread in the forum:

Our ROMs features (Whats not in Global):
  • Based on China Stable / Weekly builds (except HMNote3SE)
  • Enabled search gesture (swipe up) on the desktop
  • Enabled MiDrive in File Explorer
  • Added landscape mode for SMS app
  • Sunrise/Sunset in the weather app
  • Google apps support integrated
  • Importing theme from zhuti.xiaomi.com via ThemeManager
  • No useless Chinese bloatware apps
  • More free RAM due to less background processes
  • Unified flat style app icons for both system and 3rd party apps (eg. Play Store icon flat too, unlike official global MIUI)
  • Advanced menu with color icons (not just text like in official MIUI releases)
  • No any Chinese character under the full system
  • Mi Video, Mi Music, Mi Browser: No any useless Chinese content
  • No possibility to re-lock bootloader accidentally with flash any xiaomi.eu release
  • Added real 27 languages translation made by Official MIUI Fansites and MIUI Fans
  • Added EU T9 dialer support
  • Added charging sound switch
  • Added Spell Checker switch
  • Added Screen-OFF animation
  • Optimized GPS settings for EU
  • Optimized Battery consumption
  • Optimized RAM consumption
  • Added OIS auto-calibration for MI5
  • Added 4k Video support for MI4C, MI4S, HMNote3Pro, HMNote3SE, HMNote4X
  • Added 3D Touch to MI5S 3GB RAM version
  • Added GSMalphabet into SMS app
  • Added more icons grid layout 4x5, 4x6, 5x5, 5x6
  • Added Toggles 5x3 layout
  • SafetyNet passed (Google Pay)
  • Play Store Certified
  • Deodexed
  • Added automated tasks
  • Added game speed booster
  • Added erase module (magic elimination) to Gallery photo edit options
  • Fixed low volume sound via headphone
  • Fixed Google assistant voice response issue
  • And more, and more made by our 5 years MIUI mods experience.