When will Xiaomi Mi2(S) receive the MIUI update to KitKat 4.4???

Nico W.

Members
Dec 16, 2012
Hi,

The question stated in the title is for the moderator of Miuiandroid.com .
I'm an absolute Xioami fan going on 2 years now.
I noticed the announcement of the ongoing development surrounding MIUI based on KitKat 4.4.
You started out with a Xiaomi product: The Mi3, logically.
But then I got confused: Next was the Nexus... Really???
With all the respect, but Xiaomi was the inventor of MIUI, then along came the hardware...
It seems priorities are illogically sorted at miuiandroid.com on this subject.
How could you make it seem as a respectable decision to have Xiaomi Mi2(S) owners stand by and watch the nexus owners being favored over people who supported Xiaomi financially by actually buying a product from them?
I am very dissapointed that the f$*#ing Nexus is always getting first bites off everything on the market. Xiaomi phones rule above anything for me and MIUI remains native only to those phones. So even though everyone loves and is entitled to experience the fantastic MIUI, if there's a waiting line then Xioami phone owners should stand first in line...

I respect all you guys doing the hard work for our benefits and a bottom of my heart THANK YOU to all of you. The preceding paragraph is merely my honest opinion and is not intended to offend any person (not even the nexus owners :) )

Sincerely

Maybe it's because Miuiandroid has no control over what Xiaomi does?

Miuiandroid only modifies the base roms released by Xiaomi and they haven't released KK for the Mi2(s). The reason why the Nexus got the KK Miuiandroid rom first was because the Nexus already has an oficial KK rom available.

Yes, Xiaomi is taking long to release KK for the Mi2(s) (I have one also and I'm tired of waiting, that's why I installed M1cha's CyanogenMod KK) but last I heard Xiaomi are already beta testing it, so in theory, it shouldn't be long now...

Last edited:
Maybe there saving kitkat for v6, anyway if you want kitkat miui install kk wiui. Its working great so far for me.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk

Xiaomi is xiaomi, nothing to say. It looks like they won't support mi2 for a lot of time in future. If you ask for kk miui they give u Ivan's. I'm thinking that v6 will still be based off 4.1 and that's a sh!t. Xiaomi is not testing it so far I know because they never done something about development on mi2x like on the mi3td. The thing I don't understand is why. It has qcom soc, not mediatek or tegra, qcom has the best support over the world for these things.
Xiaomi say: "we have miui, a rom driven by community, but Devs can go away, let's simple add bugs cuz we're lazy (give a look at mi3 kk) and an update every week" : the only thing that change is the number on build.prop, there are only new useless features and fixes and new bugs for mi3"
BTW xiaomi.eu (aka miuiandroid) has nothing to do with xiaomi, at least some people here has something to do with, but this community can almost nothing on them

Sent from my nexus 7

Xiaomi is xiaomi, nothing to say. It looks like they won't support mi2 for a lot of time in future. If you ask for kk miui they give u Ivan's. I'm thinking that v6 will still be based off 4.1 and that's a sh!t. Xiaomi is not testing it so far I know because they never done something about development on mi2x like on the mi3td. The thing I don't understand is why. It has qcom soc, not mediatek or tegra, qcom has the best support over the world for these things.
Xiaomi say: "we have miui, a rom driven by community, but Devs can go away, let's simple add bugs cuz we're lazy (give a look at mi3 kk) and an update every week" : the only thing that change is the number on build.prop, there are only new useless features and fixes and new bugs for mi3"
BTW xiaomi.eu (aka miuiandroid) has nothing to do with xiaomi, at least some people here has something to do with, but this community can almost nothing on them

Sent from my nexus 7
Man, I have a Mi3 and you have depressed me. But you are completely right.
I expected the best software support from a company (except maybe Google and Nexus) and it is really worse than any big brand like HTC, Sony, Samsung or LG.
If this doesn't change, I won't ever buy a Xiaomi again, even if they start selling in Europe.

Man, I have a Mi3 and you have depressed me. But you are completely right.
I expected the best software support from a company (except maybe Google and Nexus) and it is really worse than any big brand like HTC, Sony, Samsung or LG.
If this doesn't change, I won't ever buy a Xiaomi again, even if they start selling in Europe.
for me this is the last xiaomi, too much downsides. Nexus is the way.

Inviato dal mio MI 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Silver, nexus, mandragola, amy kind of phone mantained directly from google is the way

Reactions: bobanbg
Silver, nexus, mandragola, amy kind of phone mantained directly from google is the way

I think you are not looking price/get ratio,Nexus phones are more expensive and way harder to get (at least in my country).
Anyway you still get option to update to newest OS without any difficulties,Xiaomi ships phones rooted with recovery that can install unsigned ROMs.
I dont see problem here.

Reactions: paulrlz
No warranty means lower price. Wrost quality means lower price too. Nexus are ways better than xiaomi phones. You pay exactly what you got. Nexus arent perfect , but xiami phones have a lot of problems (hardware and software), difficulty fixed by the ghost warranty

No warranty means lower price. Wrost quality means lower price too. Nexus are ways better than xiaomi phones. You pay exactly what you got. Nexus arent perfect , but xiami phones have a lot of problems (hardware and software), difficulty fixed by the ghost warranty

Well I holded Nexus 4 and it didnt fell very different from Xiaomi MI2S and if you ever read their forums you will see they also have/had "hardware/software" problems but I didnt experience any problem with MI2S ( yes not even ghost touches ) so I cannot agree with you for that.

But for warranty,yes it is ghost warranty but I never had any problems with any of my smartphones past 4 years,most problems come from users side which arent covered,btw when Xiaomi comes to EU market this might change.

Well I holded Nexus 4 and it didnt fell very different from Xiaomi MI2S and if you ever read their forums you will see they also have/had "hardware/software" problems but I didnt experience any problem with MI2S ( yes not even ghost touches ) so I cannot agree with you for that.

But for warranty,yes it is ghost warranty but I never had any problems with any of my smartphones past 4 years,most problems come from users side which arent covered,btw when Xiaomi comes to EU market this might change.
I had nexus 4, so I know the problems that the phones have. but the build quality and the speed of the phone.. well nothing comparable with mi2s.

no, in therms of speed and support, I/o performance build quality, warranty. yes in terms of battery life, camera, display and reception :)

But Nexus uses older S4 Pro chipset while MI2S Snapdragon 600,its newer and noticeably faster you are more likely comparing MI2 with Nexus 4 not MI2S because I would put MI2S right in middle of Nexus 4 and 5 in terms of speed.

Even GPUs are not same (between Nexus 4 and MI2S)

Check here:
http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

But Nexus uses older S4 Pro chipset while MI2S Snapdragon 600,its newer and noticeably faster you are more likely comparing MI2 with Nexus 4 not MI2S because I would put MI2S right in middle of Nexus 4 and 5 in terms of speed.
hardware dosen't mean nothing without optimization, and s4 pro is not such less powerful than 600 :) the problem with mi2s is the lack of sources and the I/o speed

Reactions: XperianPro
hardware dosen't mean nothing without optimization, and s4 pro is not such less powerful than 600 :) the problem with mi2s is the lack of sources and the I/o speed

Optimization?
Google never ever optimized their phones.
Why do you think people are download optimized dalvik libraries from other phones if they are optimized.

Alsi for chipset difference,there are things to talk about 50% stronger gpu ,50 % faster CPU and so on.

-___- "google never ever optimized their phones".
So think what did a company that have to port and optimize the unoptimized android in he s phone. A bad company like xiaomi (we are with old 4.1 source, with an android version 2 years old, without optimizations and kernel updates)
Dalvik libraries went from motorola moto x, a Google company (until Lenovo buyed him).
Dalvik its obsolete, google its working in art to improve performance (and this is going to clash with the first affermation, that "google never ecc").
50%, 20% 10% are only mere percentages, because you dont use all your processors at 100% in 80% of cases, and when you try to do this, your snapdragon 600 would go only a bit better than an s4 pro. Why? Thermal trottling.
This if all the two phones have the same grade of android optimizations. And this is not the case. An example of xiaomi optimizations: the driver of the camera is the same in mi2\mi2s. For this bad coding behaviour we with 13 mpx sensor, have a crappy focus, expecially in macro s. And not to mention the 24 frame per second in video recording.
As for performance, i would add another example in xiaomi mi2s bad optimization (less in m1cha builds,with nexus 4 sources). Try to install a program from market, and try to write some in internet: 1-3 seconds of choppiness! And this would make your phone unusable when you have to update a lot of apps. And for me with 260+ apps this will happen often. This example is with stock miui. Its wrost with ivan kernel relase (mokkee etc) that are using xiaomi 4.1 sources with hacks. With m1cha builds is far better, at pair with nexus 4. I dont know wich was your grade of modding in nexus 4, but for me, sabermod + franco unofficial kernel oc'd to 1.7 ghz, was faster than stock mi2s. Stock the nexus 4 was less immediate , but much more smooth.

Btw: Flash the lastest m1cha official cm to see the difference between nexus 4 and mi2s.

Last edited:
Reactions: dextructor
-___- "google never ever optimized their phones".
So think what did a company that have to port and optimize the unoptimized android in he s phone. A bad company like xiaomi (we are with old 4.1 source, with an android version 2 years old, without optimizations and kernel updates)
Dalvik libraries went from motorola moto x, a Google company (until Lenovo buyed him).
Dalvik its obsolete, google its working in art to improve performance (and this is going to clash with the first affermation, that "google never ecc").
50%, 20% 10% are only mere percentages, because you dont use all your processors at 100% in 80% of cases, and when you try to do this, your snapdragon 600 would go only a bit better than an s4 pro. Why? Thermal trottling.
This if all the two phones have the same grade of android optimizations. And this is not the case. An example of xiaomi optimizations: the driver of the camera is the same in mi2\mi2s. For this bad coding behaviour we with 13 mpx sensor, have a crappy focus, expecially in macro s. And not to mention the 24 frame per second in video recording.
As for performance, i would add another example in xiaomi mi2s bad optimization (less in m1cha builds,with nexus 4 sources). Try to install a program from market, and try to write some in internet: 1-3 seconds of choppiness! And this would make your phone unusable when you have to update a lot of apps. And for me with 260+ apps this will happen often. This example is with stock miui. Its wrost with ivan kernel relase (mokkee etc) that are using xiaomi 4.1 sources with hacks. With m1cha builds is far better, at pair with nexus 4. I dont know wich was your grade of modding in nexus 4, but for me, sabermod + franco unofficial kernel oc'd to 1.7 ghz, was faster than stock mi2s. Stock the nexus 4 was less immediate , but much more smooth.

Btw: Flash the lastest m1cha official cm to see the difference between nexus 4 and mi2s.

Well do Linpack test on stock Mi2S and Nexus 4,you will difference but you cant change things that are hardcoded on OS layer,Jelly bean will always be jelly bean and about thermal throtling its not so agressive as you might thing,I can play Riptide GP2 for half hour then thermal throtling would begin.

EDIT: What do you mean to flash CM to see difference?

Linpack.. Antutu, its not about benchmark. My hd7870 ghz is better than a gt660, but in many games I get wroster perfomance! Why? Because the driver are not optimized! This I what I m trying to say. Regarding thermal, is more aggressive that you think with the standard hotplug. Its not a mere hardware run. In google hands, mi2s shure will go better than nexus 4. But now its not the case (unless you don't flash m1cha cyanogen)

Ps: thanks for the qpt optimized dalvick, I forget about that.

Linpack.. Antutu, its not about benchmark. My hd7870 ghz is better than a gt660, but in many games I get wroster perfomance! Why? Because the driver are not optimized! This I what I m trying to say. Regarding thermal, is more aggressive that you think with the standard hotplug. Its not a mere hardware run. In google hands, mi2s shure will go better than nexus 4. But now its not the case (unless you don't flash m1cha cyanogen)

Nah,never take ghzs(for ex. my Xperia U out performs tegra 3),especially between AMD and Intel or Nvidia,you will always see Nvidia or Intel perform better on lower ghz frequency,its not just about driver.But I can agree stock Mi2S is not great(well its damn Jelly Bean) but still performs pretty good on it.

Nah,never take ghzs(for ex. my Xperia U out performs tegra 3),especially between AMD and Intel or Nvidia,you will always see Nvidia or Intel perform better on lower ghz frequency,its not just about driver.But I can agree stock Mi2S is not great(well its damn Jelly Bean) but still performs pretty good on it.
For ghz i meant Ghz edition, the version wich have the performance between 660 and 660ti. Intel is better than amd for his IPC, and nvidia for the developers, and commercial accords. Anyway now we are ot.