Xiaomi.eu 10.3.11.0 (VIOLET) Default Encryption

Soebianto

Members
Sep 15, 2017
I hesitated to flash xiaomi.eu ROM on my RN7 Pro since I got the device 2 weeks ago because It doesn't support encryption by default (at least that's what I read from many threads and forums).

After reading a few threads on how to manually activate the encryption (i.e. editing the fstab.qcom file), I finally flashed the Xiaomi.eu ROM last night, and it turned out this EU ROM (10.3.11.0) does support FBE encryption by default ! No need to edit the fstab.qcom since the FBE is enabled right out of the box.

I did check the fstab.qcom file right after I flashed the ROM, it's exactly the same as the one in the MIUI ROM, minus the 'avb' flag on the System partition.

I also checked the encryption by booting to TWRP and not entering lock screen pattern, and all files in /sdcard & /data/data are unread-able, this is a proof that the Data partition is encrypted.

These are the steps I took :
1. Boot to TWRP (I use Peter TWRP)
2. Format the Data partition, wipe cache & dalvik
3. Reboot to TWRP
4. Flash Xiaomi.eu ROM
5. Reboot to System, finish the initial setup and set a lock screen password.

These are pretty much the steps as written in the Xiaomi.eu ROM's thread.

Hopefully the encryption right out of the box is by design by Xiaomi.eu's Developers.

I have been using the phone for a whole day, no problem at all so far, all smooth, battery backup is also good, 6% batt / hr sot (wifi with 2 sim card, no game, mostly chats & browsing).

Notes :
* For those who don't want encryption, can flash 'DecScript-Universal-v2.zip' right after flashing eu ROM (step no 4), before rebooting to system, but please remember if your phone is currently encrypted, you need to do step no. 2 above.

* Step no. 2 is not needed if you're currently on eu ROM and you want to keep your phone encrypted.

* I am not responsible if you brick your phone, get stuck in a bootloop, or if your phone grows arms and tries to kill you. Do this at your own risk!

Last edited:
I hesitated to flash xiaomi.eu ROM on my RN7 Pro since I got the device 2 weeks ago because It doesn't support encryption by default (at least that's what I read from many threads and forums).

After reading a few threads on how to manually activate the encryption (i.e. editing the fstab.qcom file), I finally flashed the Xiaomi.eu ROM last night, and it turned out this EU ROM (10.3.11.0) does support FBE encryption by default ! No need to edit the fstab.qcom since the FBE is enabled right out of the box.

I did check the fstab.qcom file right after I flashed the ROM, it's exactly the same as the one in the MIUI ROM, minus the 'avb' flag on the System partition.

I also checked the encryption by booting to TWRP and not entering lock screen pattern, and all files in /sdcard & /data/data are unread-able, this is a proof that the Data partition is encrypted.

3. Reboot to TWRP
4. Flash Xiaomi.eu ROM

Hopefully the encryption right out of the box is by design by Xiaomi.eu's Developers.

I have been using the phone for a whole day, no problem at all so far, all smooth, battery backup is also good, 6% batt / hr sot (wifi with 2 sim card, no game, mostly chats & browsing).

Thanks.
Good to know that latest TWRP do the job as required! Bye bye Fstab!
But It is better and much correct to say:
- Hopefully the encryption right out of the box is by design by TWRP's Developers.

Reactions: iamme729
Good to know that latest TWRP do the job as required! Bye bye Fstab!
But It is better and much correct to say:
- Hopefully the encryption right out of the box is by design by TWRP's Developers.

I was trying to say that hopefully Xiaomi.eu maker intentionally supports the encryption, so that we don't have to manually editing the fstab.qcom (or worst, some people said they had to 'port' some files from official MiUI ROM to have encryption on Xiaomi.eu, think it's Mi 6) everytime we flash new Xiaomi.eu ROM. This has nothing to do with TWRP.

I wasn't talking about newer TWRP that support encryption as I'm using peter TWRP that's 'quite old'.

I don't really care if official TWRP support encryption or not, as long as the is 'unofficial' TWRP that supports encryption like Peter TWRP.

Peter TWRP's developer had made the encryption codes available for quite sometime, but somehow the official TWRP still won't support it, don't know why..

I care more about why TWRP doesn't support backup data partition on multi user/profile (second space, dual apps), many people has reported this problem more than a year ago.

Last edited:

3. Reboot to TWRP
4. Flash Xiaomi.eu ROM

Notes :
* For those who don't want encryption, can flash 'DecScript-Universal-v2.zip' right after flashing eu ROM (step no 4), before rebooting to system, but please remember if your phone is currently encrypted, you need to do step no. 2 above.

* Step no. 2 is not needed if you're currently on eu ROM and you want to keep your phone encrypted.

* I am not responsible if you brick your phone, get stuck in a bootloop, or if your phone grows arms and tries to kill you. Do this at your own risk!

I'm on Redmi note 7 Pro (Violet) Chinese version. Currently on xiaomi.eu beta 9.8.15
I flashed following all the steps you describe including flashed fcrypt and Magisk before booting up.

I don't know exactly what to do to upgrade to a higher version since my phone is ok and not encrypted.
Can I dirty flash?
What will happen to encryption?
Will it remain or do I have to flash fcrypt again?

I really don want to go through a clean flash this time again.

If you're upgrading to a higher version on the same xiaomi.eu beta ROM, then all you need is dirty flashing the ROM (there are a lot of people saying you need to clean flash when you're upgrading to a new major version i.e MIUI 10 to MIUI 11, but I never did that and there was no problem so far) and make sure you fcrypt and Magisk before booting up.

Last edited:
Dirty flashed to mi eu 11.0.3.0 without problem, encryption works.
I tried encryption on my MI8 with EU stable 11.0.3.0 but it gave me an android logo bootloop. I have also tried WEEKLY 9.10.24 but after input the PIN in order to start the encryption it doesn't do anything.

I have also tried WEEKLY 9.10.24 but after input the PIN in order to start the encryption it doesn't do anything.

Because the encryption is no forced by default on xiaomi.eu MIUI 11 for Mi 8, you can force it yourself by editing '/vendor/etc/fstab.qcom', change 'encryptable=ice' to 'fileencryption=ice'.

Can you help me?
I try this but I don not see the folder etc

I see vendor but it do not contains folder etc, and I do not see file fstab.qcom
I was install beta miui.eu v11 with Twrp and without reboot system, I was search with file Manager but the folder and file do not exist.

Can you help me?
I try this but I don not see the folder etc

I see vendor but it do not contains folder etc, and I do not see file fstab.qcom
I was install beta miui.eu v11 with Twrp and without reboot system, I was search with file Manager but the folder and file do not exist.
that's because you forget to "mount" vendor in twrp mount section.
you can refer to this long thread where I helped a guy in a similar situation.
(Story starts post 22.)