Xiaomi M2 Review

Would buy a Xiaomi M2 instead of a brand name high end device like Samsung?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mrunmai Yadav

Members
Mar 7, 2013
Xiaomi M2 review

Where to get one: http://www.ibuygou.com/crazy-discount/
Specifications: http://goo.gl/T6PaQ
How to get one:
The one I got was a 32 GB version of the Xiaomi M2. You can get one here. The offer is for a limited stock but keep watching this space for offer on the device. The website (www.ibuygou.com) accepts PayPal as well as other standard online payment methods. They have various shipping options including DHL, Fedex, EMS and Registered Airmail and Airmail and ship internationally. The cheapest is the Airmail (free). But I recommend at the very least opting for a registered airmail so that you can track the package. I personally changed my shipping to DHL because I couldn’t wait for the device to arrive. The customer care executive was extremely helpful when changing the shipping method.
5lRJYNh.jpg

The device was shipped in a day and arrived within a couple of days once I changed my shipping method to DHL from registered airmail. The packaging was appropriate and there was no damage. The device however, ships with minimal accessories and in-box items. The seller fortunately, added a connector for my country.

Device Hardware:

The Quad core 1.5 GHz device flaunts a 2GB RAM and Adreno 320 GPU. The amazing 342 ppi – 1280x720 4.3 inch screen is supported by a 2000 mAh battery. It has an 8 MP rear camera and 2 MP front facing camera. The only thing I miss in this device is the memory card slot so make sure you opt for a highest possible capacity version you can afford. The phone has all the other standard stuff that smartphone have like GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.
One thing I was concerned about was the battery life. Even though there is an option to buy a battery with 3100 mAh capacity (here); the only downside you need to put on an ugly black color cover instead of the standard one. But to my surprise the battery is powerful enough to last for about 8 hours with heavy usage and a whole day for light users.
The camera on the device is extremely responsive and has a good quality lens. The photos are crisp and have no lag between continuous shots. There is a led illumination available. The front facing camera is decent and enough for video chats. The GPS works as expected. The hardware is powerful enough to play graphics intensive games like Vector. But the hardware does tend to heat up with extensive use on GPU intensive games. The heating is something Xiaomi has to look into.
The call quality is crystal clear but the speak phone volume is limited. The speaker volume for the device is to a lower side in general but not so low that it becomes unusable. The signal quality is decent and does not cut off at poor signal reception places.
9usAYuB.jpg

WqhfKcZ.jpg

NNROgqu.png

iCNBquy.png

Device Software:

The device comes preloaded with MIUI JBLv11 (based on Android 4.1.1). For international users, there is no Google play store. But one can go to the MIUI market app and download it without any hiccups. MIUI is basically an acquired taste but is an excellent shell over the standard Android OS. It comes preloaded with a number of features that provide excellent customization options.
With the 2GB RAM the device runs like butter. Even with around 200 applications installed on my device it still runs very fast and has 1GB of RAM available at all times. MIUI comes with preinstalled task manager, specialized apps like Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, MIUI market, themes, etc. People who miss the Android JellyBean experience can install a custom launcher like GO Launcher EX and get an Android JB theme.
One thing about MIUI that a user can appreciate is there are frequent updates available and if you choose to root the device and install a development build there are weekly updates. The OS still has some quirks that you would notice from time to time on the English version but overall the experience is fulfilling and not incomplete. Some things you have to get used to are Chinese names/characters in names for online library of themes, wallpapers, etc.
There is something called a MiDrive that serves the same purpose as the Apple Cloud service. You can backup many things online along with files you specify and are available at i.xiaomi.com
2ZQ9aTn.jpg

3m2MYSQ.jpg

Overall review:

The Xiaomi M2 is a great phone at a great price. The specifications are amazing and are available at a relatively cheap price. The hardware performance is great and the software is highly customizable. The camera performs well and the battery life supports the superb device. My opinion is if you want something compact at a reasonable rate that fits in your pocket unlike the latest trend of 5 inch phones, this is a great device. The seller has multiple reviews and accepts PayPal so your purchase is protected. The only problem I found was the lack of a memory card slot on the device. My experience using the device has so far been great and I would recommend this to anyone who plans on upgrading to a quad core super powered Android device.

Note: Screen Shots, Camera Shots and other images available at http://goo.gl/UkoKz .
Sample Video from Xiaomi M2 primary camera at http://goo.gl/LqBv9
Sample Camera Shot:

5J1LJz0.jpg

SiGKyzj.jpg

That was a nice review great :) Well whats about the Sound output through speakers and headset? and do you face any network issues in India like its showing only 3G instead of H or H+ ?
I am also from India looking to buy this beast soooon..!;)

anyone can comfirm it's support 3G on GSM network? I read on ibuygou it have 2G and 3G WCDMA, I dont understand :(

That was a nice review great :) Well whats about the Sound output through speakers and headset? and do you face any network issues in India like its showing only 3G instead of H or H+ ?
I am also from India looking to buy this beast soooon..!;)

Hey Abhilash,
The Speakers are a little low on Sound but are crisp and just so that you can imagine the quality .. think of iPhone speakers with lower output.
It does support 3G networks and works well with almost all the major carriers.. I tested it with Vodafone, DocoMo, Airtel and BSNL... I personally don't use 3G so battery life with 3G I cannot comment on but with EDGE it lasts very easily with heavy(with background data, 2+hours gaming, 4+ hours music and 1+ hours video.. and this is with around 200 apps installed on my device of which we can consider one fourth require background data service) usage for about 8 to 10 hours.
And one more thing Google Now works very well with it (at least in Mumbai)

Reactions: afterburner
Hey yadav,
It was a good review. I am from India too. I want to gift the same to my girl friend. How much you have paid for the phone? Does ordering from the mentioned website attract any customs ? If yes can you give me a breakup of the costs incurred?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Hey yadav,
It was a good review. I am from India too. I want to gift the same to my girl friend. How much you have paid for the phone? Does ordering from the mentioned website attract any customs ? If yes can you give me a breakup of the costs incurred?

Anyone?

Hey yadav,

I paid INR 24,000 and customs of 889 INR. However, the site ships the item as a gift so you may or may not incur the custom charges. I used paypal.

Is the miniUSB port of Mi2 compatible with miniUSB of GalaxyS3? Cause I'm looking for some portable charger for Mi2, but only found some of S3 :(