Xiaomi Mi 2S not showing up on Android SDK debugging

twig

Members
May 29, 2013
I bought this phone for personal use and love it, but I would like to also use it for development.
I've worked with many phones in the past (Samsung Galaxy S1/2/3/3mini, Sony Xperia X10/X10mini, ZTE T12, HTC One) and a few others.
But I am having some trouble getting my Xiaomi Mi 2S to show up on the Android debugger.

The Mi 2S debugs fine on Windows XP x86, but not on my Windows 7 x64 SP1 as it just doesn't appear.

My MIUI 3.5.10 is Android 4.1.1 with development mode on.
NVKoPYR.png
Rpnr4nX.png

5J97zdS.png

Below is a list of things I've tried to fix it so far.

• I've installed the MiPhone manager and let it update to the latest version (1.0.4.5271).
I manually copied the translated English strings from this threadusing ResHack.
Not many settings for debugging here.

lr1qpGx.png

• I've uninstalled the drivers (deleted as well) and used the latest drivers from the MiPhone manager folder.
qMQaRsW.png

• I've tried using "adb kill-server" and "adb devices", nothing.
  • I've tried with different cables and both USB2 and USB3 ports.
  • My Android SDK is high enough to support the RSA fingerprinting in the new Jellybean, but it never showed up.
cuUBX66.png

But I never see this on Win7 x64:
adb-crop-new.png

• When I plug the phone in, I get the "virtual CD" and MTP device. No problem using MTP and CD, but cannot access it for debugging.
bkv3D1e.png

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

You need to put the vendor id into your adb_usb.ini file so it gets detected by adb properly.

Had to do this for both my 64 bit Windows and Ubuntu Linux OS.

It worked fine after that. I'm running on a normal MI2 though so your results might differ.

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk 2

Hi Coldbird,

Unfortunately the adb_usb.ini already had the correct vendor ID in there.
The drivers downloaded from MiPhone Manager also had the correct IDs for both x86 and x64 file, so I'm pretty confused.

Then I'm just as clueless as you are I fear.

I'm really curious though what the issue is.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk 2

Most definitely.
I even tried debugging while it's in photo mode rather than MTP, no luck.

There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off MTP mode and just use the regular USB mode though.

Did you allready figure this out? I constantly have bugs and i want to make a logcat but it keeps saying "waiting for device" :)

Did you allready figure this out? I constantly have bugs and i want to make a logcat but it keeps saying "waiting for device" :)

on Windows..? install MiFlash... it will install required drivers...

On windows go to c://Users/{your-username}/.android
On Linux ~/.android
(don't know about Mac)
open the file adb-usb.ini on a text editor and add this three lines:
Code:
0x8087
0x2080
0x2717
Save the file, open a CMD (or terminal) and type:
*if adb is not declared on the system PATH you will have to go to the android-sdk/platform-tools folder.
Code:
adb kill-server (enter)
adb start-server (enter)
reconnect the device, now it should be recognized.

Good luck.

Reactions: valav and ingbrzy
So i will have to install the full android SDK if so this: LINK

I allready installed Miflash it doesnt help.

I dont understand why the device doenst automaticly install itstelf or why there isnt any driver pack available so i can install the drivers manually.

@ingbrzy:
Where can I get the latest MiPhone?

@roenano:
that vendor ID & kill/start server method works for my WinXP x86 computer, but not my Win7 x64 computer.

Also, the IDs you gave me didn't work. I had to use 0x2717 as that's what my Mi2S shows up as.
WzC6CHf.png

@Really_Whacky:
No, the device isn't showing up when I use USB.
I use my Xiaomi Mi2S to debug my apps with the WiFi ADB app.
I rather use USB because I don't have WiFi on the train.

@ingbrzy: Ahh that's the first thing I tried.

Please see my first point under "Below is a list of things I've tried to fix it so far"

"I've installed the MiPhone manager and let it update to the latest version (1.0.4.5271)."​

I added an image of it as well.

@Really_Whacky: Yes, as ingbrzy said it's that popup that appears when you plug your phone in.
You get a CD drive and a USB drive, the CD being the setup files for "MiPhone Manager" or "MiFlash" as ingbrzy calls it.

I dont get anything when i plug it in only "MI2 Portable Media Player"

Edit; i found it still cant make a log.

Hi, I also have some troubles with debugging MI2S. On Windows side everything is working well. Phone is showing in ADB i can run my APKs using IntelliJ/Eclipse but... logcat file can be access only once.

Logcat is working well only if i reboot my MI2s and first thing i fire will be APK run by eclipse. If I disconnect phone and then connect again logcat will not be displayed and I get "Unable to open log device '/dev/log/main': No such file or directory".

Other way to see logcat is to run app called CatLog (from google play) but i has to be first apk i run after reboot. If i run something else and then CatLog nothing is showed.

Using ADB shell and root account I've checked the file /dev/log/main and it is really gone. Very strange behavior...

I think it isn't PC side error because to use CatLog I don't have to be connected to PC and /dev/log/main is still disappearing.
I've tried new Miui 3.6.21 and stock (3.5.3?)

When I develop rebooting phone again and again takes a lot of my time ;-) Any ideas?

I dont know why but mine is working now. I have been trying to get this to work for a long time now and now it suddenly works. I am using a Mi2 and I did all the stuff above before but it never worked. I just tried it again today and my device was active on eclipse.

I already installed all the drivers previously but they didnt work then i followed all the above comments but still it didnt work. The next day, i tried it again and somehow it works.

On windows go to c://Users/{your-username}/.android
On Linux ~/.android
(don't know about Mac)
open the file adb-usb.ini on a text editor and add this two lines:
Code:
0x8087
0x2080
This worked for me!!!!
Good luck.

I have the same problem. I tried uninstalling every driver and program (miflash, miphone) from windows, and the installing the drivers pack from Xiaomi. Not luck. Now it doesn't even appear. Before it appeared as "offline"
Also, when I connect the phone there's always a "USB device" that can't be installed. I can see M2 and copy anything to internal memory, ut maybe this other "USB device" is the problem. However, no matter what drivers I try to install, (from miphone, miflash, the one downloaded directly from xiaomi page, the ones from Android SDK/Google USB) windows always says that it didn't find the correct drivers.
Well, now I reinstalled MiFlash and it appears again, but again as offline.
I'm frustrated :(

Edited: I'm using Windows XP and of course SDK is updated and all necessary packages installed.