Xiaomi Mi 5 Type C Connector

Gabe9

Members
Dec 13, 2015
Hi Guys
Did you heard about the story of Type c connector and quick charge 3.0 by qualcomm?
I'm searching the web without any answer... The problem is that the type c connector supports a maximum voltage of 5V and snapdragon's chargin method at Higher Voltage (till 12V).
Now I'm charging my mi5 with my redmi note 2 charger (5V 2A)
Do you know something about it?
Thanks a lot

Hi Guys
Did you heard about the story of Type c connector and quick charge 3.0 by qualcomm?
I'm searching the web without any answer... The problem is that the type c connector supports a maximum voltage of 5V and snapdragon's chargin method at Higher Voltage (till 12V).
Now I'm charging my mi5 with my redmi note 2 charger (5V 2A)
Do you know something about it?
Thanks a lot
then you do not use quickcharge 3 but quickcharge 2. Also most usb C cables limit to QC2 ...

If you need mi5 2.0A EU plug Wall Charger ,Type C cable USB Data Sync Charge Cable or Type C OTG cable, you can have a look in dragon-tt.

Reactions: Gabe9
dragon-tt.com is a shop selling original xiaomi parts .

Thanks a lot
Is that 2.0A EU plug Wall Charger original? I saw it in the site and it seems very well made. I'm italian, is there any problem to buy something on that website from here?

Just buy an Aukey QC3.0
Thats what I have and it works fine, it outputs constant 3000mah, i measured it with Ampere! application

If you go through Benson Leung's G+ page, most of the things will be clarified. The Problem is that since this is all new technology, actual impact is still unknown. While QC3,0 or 2,0 is not directly compliant with USB type C, there is no problem when a QC charger is in use to charge a USB Type C device.
Lets see the scenario - when one end (phone connection) is type C and other end is USB type A (normal) then the bundled charger should work just fine as it draws higher power and USB type C can sustain the higher flow. (Agreed that it still is no compliant)

Now the same cable if used to connect any other USB device, typicalls a PC or another old non QC charger, there might be a problem. As this legacy device may not draw power at higher flow but the phone with usb type C might demand it, hence it will be left to the cable to negotiate the correct flow of current between two ports. If the cable is a bad one (so many of them on Benso Leung's page) it will fail to negotiate a proper charge and this might damage the legacy device with USB type A. (It will be forced to draw more current than it is supposed to)

So safer option is to use bundled cable with bundled QC charger for charging purposes only. However use a certified cable for connecting to PC or any other legacy chargers or devices. I am using AUKEY USB type C to type A cable which is also certified by Benson Leung. Its available on Amazon.de as well as Amazon.com. Xiaomi's cable is not tested yet and hence cannot be sure if its a good one. I saw one report of cable with Mi4S being tested and it turned out to be a bad one so not sure what is bundled with Mi5.

Please do not bash my confusing explnation and what I am saying might be wrong as I am not an engineer and I do not understand watt and current etc in detail. I have just derived from Benson's explnation what is important to general user.

Note - I used bundled cable with legacy charger and apparently the charger is damaged (does not charge any more) This could well be a coincidence.

That's an old myth now already that Qualcomm has disproved, but that is still lingering in good old Internet fashion.
To quote from the Qualcomm FAQ:

Quick Charge is designed to be connector-independent. Quick Charge can be implemented with a variety of formats, including USB Type-A, USB micro, USB Type-C, and other proprietary connectors.​

As far as I understand its not a myth. As per Qualcomm, QC3.0 can be implemented with USB type C with onus of managing voltages with device OEMs. However if OEMs do not take the USB type C regulations in consideration and do not control voltages (Qualcomm tech works on variable current and at times over the value allowed under USB type C framework)

HTC issued a statement on this that they have implemented within Qualcom defined rules. They do not mention anything about USB type C regulations.

However if OEMs do not take the USB type C regulations in consideration and do not control voltages (Qualcomm tech works on variable current and at times over the value allowed under USB type C framework)

All USB is 5V, there's no place in 'pure USB' for the Qualcomm QC voltages (9V and 12V), irrespective if one considers micro USB or type C.
Strictly speaking, higher voltages are not required for QC, as 5V @ 3.6A is exactly the same wattage as 9V @ 2A or 12V @ 1.5A. They are negotiated between the device and the charger as an optimisation of the charging process.

And as far as the Mi 5 is concerned, there's confirmation on the miui forum:

Mi5 features, including QC 3.0 on
en miui com @slash@ thread-231465-1-1.html

QC 3 test of Mi 5:
en miui com @slash@ thread-233477-1-1.html

Yes MI5 supports QC3.0 The problem is if you use a legacy device like a old laptop USB port with this phone with a bad type c cable, it might hurt the legacy port. Any way, as I said it works for me to use a certified Aukey type C cable for legacy devices and the bundled QC 2.0 charger for charging.

My personal first experience with the Aukey PA-T15 (QC 3.0):
  • Start at 49% charge
  • 93% charge after 35 min
  • Full charge after 55 min