Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Roms For Dummies

Samo Dadela

Members
Feb 14, 2016
Hi,

So I got a new Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (bought in Slovenia). It's:
- android version 5.0.2 LRX22G
- MIUI 7 by xiaomi.eu 5.9.24 | Beta

I wanted to update the ROM since I noticed some glitches. The documentation that came with the phone says: To update the phone system, please contact the individual official locl Mi (?) affiliates or use self-updating feature of Mi phone. And then there's a QR code, that points to: http://en.miui.com/download-274.html

On that page I downloaded Stable Full ROM pack:
Author: MIUI Official TeamVersion: V7.1.3.0.LHMMICK (MIUI7) Size: 935M

I followed the instructions, but got an error: install update.zip failed update.zip signature verification failed

I then started googling around for the problem but got more confused than before. In the process I found different sites like xiaomi.eu, en.miui.com, www.miuios.cz... then found that there are china, global, local roms... Then there are ROMs that suppport OTA, others don't... Then there are codenames like 'hermes'... I went and read the FAQs regarding those different ROMs but I still have no idea what to flash. The whole time it is not clear if those ROMs are from Xiaomi or private builds - who is the owner of those sites... I'm not too kind to install some unsupported developer version that could contain dangerous code.

Long story short:
- What's the proper latest/stable ROM for this device and my country (Slovenia)? Preferably one that would give me OTA updates in the future?
- Is it safe to flash the ROM from the QR (7.1.3.0) code above (I like the Stable and Official in the name) ? How?
- What is the latest version of the ROM I already have (xiaomi.eu 5.9.24 beta)? Is it better that 7.1.30?
- Please specify if operations are dangerous/irreversible.

I'm really sattisfied with the phone, specs, price, design... but this ROM story could be a little easier. I hope this is because Xiaomi is just entering other countries. In the future I'd like to see: one device - one official rom (signed and supported by Xiaomi). Everything else should be called a mod.

Best regards,

Samo

BTW: I tried also updating via Updater and MiPCSuite, but they both say there is no newer version (which looks strange, I guess there were updates after 24 sept 2015).

Hi,

I wanted to update the ROM since I noticed some glitches. The documentation that came with the phone says: To update the phone system, please contact the individual official locl Mi (?) affiliates or use self-updating feature of Mi phone. And then there's a QR code, that points to: http://en.miui.com/download-274.html

I followed the instructions, but got an error: install update.zip failed update.zip signature verification failed

I then started googling around for the problem but got more confused than before. In the process I found different sites like xiaomi.eu, en.miui.com, www.miuios.cz... then found that there are china, global, local roms... Then there are ROMs that suppport OTA, others don't... Then there are codenames like 'hermes'... I went and read the FAQs regarding those different ROMs but I still have no idea what to flash. The whole time it is not clear if those ROMs are from Xiaomi or private builds - who is the owner of those sites... I'm not too kind to install some unsupported developer version that could contain dangerous code.

Long story short:
- What's the proper latest/stable ROM for this device and my country (Slovenia)? Preferably one that would give me OTA updates in the future?
- Is it safe to flash the ROM from the QR (7.1.3.0) code above (I like the Stable and Official in the name) ? How?
- What is the latest version of the ROM I already have (xiaomi.eu 5.9.24 beta)? Is it better that 7.1.30?

I'm really sattisfied with the phone, specs, price, design... but this ROM story could be a little easier. I hope this is because Xiaomi is just entering other countries. In the future I'd like to see: one device - one official rom (signed and supported by Xiaomi). Everything else should be called a mod.

Best regards,

Samo

BTW: I tried also updating via Updater and MiPCSuite, but they both say there is no newer version (which looks strange, I guess there were updates after 24 sept 2015).
Hello, you have a Beta version, continues with the Beta ..., that's great. If you install a stable you must first make all the necessary Wipe

Hi,

Long story short:

Best regards,

Samo

Hi Sir, if you choose STABLE version you must wipe data wipe cache if you want install it.
I suggest you to update only Beta ROM. SO you can choose to install Stable or Beta Update.

Reactions: Stefano131270
Hi,

Long story short:

Best regards,

Samo

Hi,

Now you're using the weekly rom from xiaomi.eu and the latest (as of today) for redmi note 2 is version 6.1.29 (29 January 2016). I would recommend you to stay with this weekly rom as you don't need to wipe everything when updating to the latest version.

If you choose to change the rom to the global stable version, you might need to wipe everything on your device. Also, maybe your language selection is not available in the global stable version. Not like xiaomi.eu version.

Xiaomi.eu weekly:
- weekly update
- bugs fix faster
- lots of language selection (eur)
- based on developer rom (extra features)
- ota update not available

Global stable:
- very slow update
- limited language selection
- ota update is available
- stable (xiaomi.eu rom is actually stable enough)

That's all I can think off right now. Maybe this can help you choose the version you want. After you choose, then maybe we can help guide you to flash the rom later.

Hi,

First thing... WOW :) Three responses in such a short time - awesome! Thanks, guys.

Now, just for the record, as regards stable roms. I did wipe everything in MiRestore (vol_up+power) prior to flashing. However following the wipe, I had to do the initial setup because the flash instructions for stable instruct to upload the file in download_roms and use Updater. Is that why it failed?

Anyway... considering your responses (aymoto gave a really good description) I guess I'll stick with beta. If I understood correctly: beta == xiaomi.eu weekly, right?

So... can you please help me updating from xiaomi.eu 5.9.24 beta to 6.1.29?

One more thing, please... just in case... before updating I'd like to backup the current state/rom in case I need to go back. I read that this can be done with TWRP, but I could not find the download link for TWRP for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2. So regarding TWRP:
- how to install it? is it safe?
- how to backup MiRestore (TWRP will overwrite it, right)?
- will TWRP 'survive' the upgrade from 5.9.24 to 6.1.29 or do I need to install it again after update?

Regards,

Samo

BTW: Can someone explain the codenames "hermes"? Does that mean Xiaomi Redmi 2 Note?

Hermes is the one you want and I recommend sticking with eu updates. If there is any problems it only takes four or five days to get fixed unlike the official roms. I am new as well so I won't advise on downloading etc but latest eu rom is great. These guys do great work. All the best.

Reactions: Samo Dadela
Hi,

First thing... WOW :) Three responses in such a short time - awesome! Thanks, guys.

Now, just for the record, as regards stable roms. I did wipe everything in MiRestore (vol_up+power) prior to flashing. However following the wipe, I had to do the initial setup because the flash instructions for stable instruct to upload the file in download_roms and use Updater. Is that why it failed?

Anyway... considering your responses (aymoto gave a really good description) I guess I'll stick with beta. If I understood correctly: beta == xiaomi.eu weekly, right?

So... can you please help me updating from xiaomi.eu 5.9.24 beta to 6.1.29?

One more thing, please... just in case... before updating I'd like to backup the current state/rom in case I need to go back. I read that this can be done with TWRP, but I could not find the download link for TWRP for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2. So regarding TWRP:
- how to install it? is it safe?
- how to backup MiRestore (TWRP will overwrite it, right)?
- will TWRP 'survive' the upgrade from 5.9.24 to 6.1.29 or do I need to install it again after update?

Regards,

Samo

BTW: Can someone explain the codenames "hermes"? Does that mean Xiaomi Redmi 2 Note?
1)for install TWRP see here http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=224679&extra=page=1&mobile=2
2) you don't need to backup MI recovery because you can use this guide http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=147646&extra=page=2&mobile=2
3) if you upgrade from xiaomi.eu then the TWRP will "survive"
"Hermes" is the code name of xiaomi redmi note 2

TWRP isn't necessary.... you donwload Weekly Rom Hermes then You start recovery mode then you wipe data wipe cache ... then you restart phone system.. when system has started you choose UPDATER APP choose three in top right and choose CHOOSE UPDATER PACKAGE and select ROM HERMES. ENJOY YOURSELF

1)for install TWRP see here http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=224679&extra=page=1&mobile=2
2) you don't need to backup MI recovery because you can use this guide http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=147646&extra=page=2&mobile=2
3) if you upgrade from xiaomi.eu then the TWRP will "survive"
"Hermes" is the code name of xiaomi redmi note 2

Thanks, Fabio13.
I managed to install TWRP3. Tried the Updater method first but got "signature verification error". I then found this thread (using: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img) and it worked: http://en.miui.com/thread-207290-1-1.html

Reactions: Fabio13
MatrixLinux: Flashed to 6.1.29 (hermes) by using Updater.

Another question: Should I wipe (factory reset) each time I want to update?

Thanks to everybody.

TWRP isn't necessary.... you donwload Weekly Rom Hermes then You start recovery mode then you wipe data wipe cache ... then you restart phone system.. when system has started you choose UPDATER APP choose three in top right and choose CHOOSE UPDATER PACKAGE and select ROM HERMES. ENJOY YOURSELF
I don't know you can flash xiaomi.eu through MI recovery? Updater yes, but still it use twrp. Isn't?

Reactions: MatrixLinux
... I then found this thread (using: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img) and it worked

I've also had good experience using fastboot to flash TWRP recovery (on Hermes - ie, RN2).
AFAIK this also seems to be the only means for Linux users anyhow.
It would be nice if someone with a MI forum account could also post their TWRP images here as well, for the benefit of xiaomi.eu users without such an account.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

FYI: After update to 6.1.29 Mi PC Suite does not work anymore - stuck at connecting 30%. Any ideas?
Found some posts, but non solve the problem. I already have the latest version 2.2.0.7032. Also windows recognizes the device correctly (no exlamation marks in device manager), adb works.

FYI2: In the process of troubleshooting MiPCSuite I turned off USB MTP mode (DON'T DO IT) - to no avail ;)

Then to re-enable there's an app called MIUI USB Settings, but that won't work because it seems that the update to 6.1.29 turned off developer options (which MIUI USB Settings needs)... so I had to re-enable developer options: http://www.enableusbdebugging.com/2015/09/enable-usb-debugging-on-xiaomi-redmi-note-2.html

Got MTP mode back - Mi PC Suite is still broken, though... but what an adventure :)

:D

It is a known bug with Mi PC suite. We only can wait either next firmware update will fix it or new version of Mi PC suite will..