Redmi Note 8 chinese - Which ROM, that can lock bootloader and work 110% with banking and Play store?

insomniacno1

Members
Feb 23, 2024
Hi Guys, made a mistake and bought an "Original Redmi Note 8 with Global ROM".

It worked fine but bootloader were unlocked, and since I need my banking apps, I read on hard reset that I could lock the bootloader with

fastboot oem lock

And it locked the bootloader and factory reset the phone.

Unfortunately, that send the phone into recovery bootloop, with an error in red saying "version mismatch".

Later it turned out the phone is Original CHINESE Redmi Note 8, modified by seller and had Global ROM android 11,MIUI 12.5.2.0 installed - AND Unlocked bootloader in order for everything to work.

I had a local phone shop unlock bootloader, install Original Chinese stock Rom and recovery(English though) 12.0.x.x(can't remember the excact version, but android 10), and lock bootloader again. Everything worked but I couldn't install Google Apps or Play store. Then I saw there were an OTA update, and it updated to MIUI 12.5.5 Stable 12.5.5.0(RCOCNXM) Android 11.

But still couldn't get Play store Installed. I tried all Google installers from the net, all installed but I couldn't toggle Basic Google Services to ON.

Did a factory reset, now phone worked quicker but no matter what I have tried so far will make Play store work.

So now I am tired of this, worked on this for 3 weeks.

Phone:
Redmi Note 8 M1908C3JE 4/64
48Mps
gingko
MIUI 12.5.5 Stable 12.5.5.0(RCOCNXM) Android 11.

This is NOT the 2021 model!

What I like to do is the following, please help me make it correct and tell me if something is not possible :

Unlock bootloader and flash Xiaomie.eu or Global ROM android 11, preferebly Stock. Please advice me to which one work 110% with my phone.

Lock the bootloader and use banking apps.

I don't want to root if possible, because the banking apps of my Country can detect that and will not work.

I also don't want to keep the chinese, too many menus in chinese, or keep trying to get Play store working.

If none of this is possible, please point out whats not possible, I will flash the phone with Global again and keep bootloader unlocked, sell it but inform buyer of the unlocked bootloader (something original seller didn't do). Then buy ORIGINAL Snapdragon model(I don't like mediatek or unisoc, heat problems) .

For the last part I need link to Global ROM or stock that will work with my model and I need to know if I need to flash the recovery too, or if I can leave it, or should install TWRP instead.

Thank you in advance

Jan

Ps. I live in the Philippines, so take that in mind for ROM that should work with our tele networks.

EDIT : I got the local phone shop to unlock bootloader and flash Global ROM MIUI 12.5.2.0 and leave the bootloader unlocked. Everything is working without having to root - Well, banking Apps are not working and will not work with unlocked bootloader.

So I am going to sell it again.

Too bad that there is no solution for this

PS2: If anyone of you know how to remove password protected Lockscreen on Samsung Galaxy A31 SM-A315G/DS without data loss, then please PM me.

Photos attached - Certification is the same on both Setup's.

IMG_20240224_184903.jpg

IMG_20240222_134326.jpg

IMG_20240222_134405.jpg

IMG_20240222_134502.jpg

The photos with white background are from "Original" Setup when just bought
IMG_20240224_035430.jpg

IMG_20240224_035438.jpg

Last edited:
You can't lock the bootloader with any ROM except the Chinese ROM

If you don't want root and want the banking apps, you can't use the other official ROMs.

Google made it harder to fake a locked bootloader recently, and the ROMs for your device are probably all old, so it may also be problematic with all custom ROMs.

Honestly, if you just want something that just works, the easiest solution would be to buy a Global Device.

(also, "with Global ROM" is a serious hint that the device have an unlocked bootloader)

You can't lock the bootloader with any ROM except the Chinese ROM

If you don't want root and want the banking apps, you can't use the other official ROMs.

Google made it harder to fake a locked bootloader recently, and the ROMs for your device are probably all old, so it may also be problematic with all custom ROMs.

Honestly, if you just want something that just works, the easiest solution would be to buy a Global Device.

(also, "with Global ROM" is a serious hint that the device have an unlocked bootloader)
Thank you for your reply, this is good information.

So, I believe I will get the local shop to flash the phone with a ROM and leave bootloader unlocked and sell the phone again. Its a good phone and it looks/feels almost new, but I need those banking apps, and they need to be installed through Google Play store only.

What ROM would you recommend for this phone. model, link please, Global or Xiaomi.eu taking in mind its going to be sold in the Philippines?

I understand that Global is for most phones outside china, but Xiaomi.eu is the modified version of The CN ROM and get more updates. What else should I know?

Will the phone still get updates on Global or Xiaomi.eu, though bootloader is unlocked?

You said :
"If you don't want root and want the banking apps, you can't use the other official ROMs."

Could you clarify, taking in mind that I understand much of this but not all(Computer tech, not phone tech).

Do you mean that if I root, then I can use the banking apps on unlocked bootloader?

Or did you mean that I need to root to install other Official ROMs - What other official ROMs are there for this phone model?

Also, the local phone shop is not experts in this, the answer is usually "I will try". So either I need to do this myself or have a complete guide for them to follow(well me too ).

Last question, is there any way to get this phone to work with Google Play store and all Google Apps, using Chinese ROM(are there other ROMs than the one using now) and Locked bootloader, and all menus in english? I tried :
Google installer 3.0
TTA Google installer for MIUI 12.5 and the one for 12.5.5
All+One Google installer for 12.5 and 12.5.5
TTA Google base ON for MIUI 13(didn't work)

And remove everything then download and manually install in this order:
Google Framework services
Google Account Manager
Google Play Services
Google Calendar sync
Google Contacts sync
Google Play store

But most of the time Play store installed but would open then close, even if I got it to open and stay open Sign in were in black text and nothing happened when clicking it.

Also Google Account were not in Accounts and sync until I ran one of the installers, and no matter what I tried I were not able to toggle Google basic Services to ON - this might be why Play store don't work.
It could be specific to this ROM version, or something the local shop messed up.

I even tried factory reset.

But, still couldn't get it working.

I know this forum is for Xiaomi.eu, but I tried getting answers in other forums, and in this forum I got the best help.

With kind regards

Jan

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about your device, and I don't know anything about the specifics of Philippines.

Updates are finished for some years now (at least for official and Xiaomi.eu ROMs)

You can have a look at this thread, I believe it applies to the MIUI 12 X.eu ROM and maybe even the official Global ROMs, but I did not test it personally.