[All-in-One] Xiaomi 14 (houji): Unlock Bootloader, Root, Flash TWRP, Flash ROM

senerex

Members
May 3, 2018
[All-in-One] Xiaomi 14 (houji): Unlock Bootloader, Root, Flash TWRP, Flash ROM

Dear Xiaomi 14 user,

This AiO does not work for the China version of Xiaomi 14 (houji) due to very tough restrictions that Xiaomi has put on unlocking the bootloader for China dedicated devices.

I'm not responsible if anything happens to your device. If you execute these AiO procedures properly then you shouldn't face any problems. Before you proceed please back up all your important data and make sure that your phone battery is charged >80%!

A. Prerequisites:

1. Install ADB and Fastboot tools with drivers on Windows

Download the latest 15 Seconds ADB Installer from here:

https://androidmtk.com/download-15-seconds-adb-installer

a. Download and unzip the latest version
b. Open the file and run it as administrator
c. Press Y (Yes) to install ADB and Fastboot
d. Press Y (Yes) to install ADB system-wide
e. Press Y (Yes) to install the drivers
f. Complete the driver installation

Restart your computer.

2. Enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" in your device

a. Enable Developer Options in: Settings/About Phone/OS version. Click on it 7 or 8 times
b. Now go to: Settings/Additional Settings/Developer Options and check "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging"

3. Create a Mi Account

If you don’t have a Mi Account, then create one here: https://account.xiaomi.com

4. Apply for permission to unlock the bootloader

Go to your Xiaomi Community App, sign in with the same Mi Account you want to add to your device and apply for permission to unlock the bootloader.

+ Open Xiaomi Community App, go to “Me” then “Set Up” then “Change Region” to Global
+ Go to “Me” then “Unlock Bootloader” then “Apply for Unlocking”

If you don’t see “Unlock Bootloader”, update Xiaomi Community App to the latest version and you’ll see it.

5. Connect your Mi Account to your device

Go to: Settings/Additional Settings/Developer Options/Mi Unlock status and check "Add account and device"

6. Some Additional Information before unlocking the Bootloader:

+ You can unlock your bootloader only if your Xiaomi account is older than 30 days.
+ You can unlock the bootloader of max 3 smartphones per year with your Xiaomi account.

B: Unlock The Bootloader

Attention: Unlocking the bootloader will erase all your data! So please back up your data before you unlock the bootloader!

1. You must enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" as per point A.2.
2. You must connect your Mi Account with your device as per point A.5.
3. Download Mi Unlock Tool here: https://en.miui.com/unlock/index.html
4. Enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer via USB cable (best would be the original cable)
5. Start the Mi Unlock Tool
6. Enter your eMail and your password of your Mi Account (the same account which you added to your device - Point A.5.)
7. Connect you device to your computer and start the unlock procedure
8. Follow the unlock tool instructions until the unlock procedure is finished
9. Reboot your device

If you want to keep your original HyperOS Rom but want to root your device then continue to point C.

If you want to install an alternative Rom,

+ Xiaomi.EU Rom then please skip point C and continue to point D.
+ LineageOS, Evolution X etc. then please skip points C, D, E and continue to point F and then point G.

C: Root Your HyperOS ROM without TWRP

1. Your Bootloader must be unlocked (see Point B).
2. You must enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" as per point A.2.
3. Download the fastboot ROM (the same ROM which is currently installed in your device) from here: https://mifirm.net/model/houji.ttt and unzip it.
4. Open the file and extract the "init_boot.img" on to your computer.
5. Transfer the “init_boot.img” from your computer on to your device.
6. Download the latest Magisk manager App from here: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk and install it on to your device.
7. Open Magisk App and click install, and then "select and patch a file" (of course you select “init_boot.img”).
8. Transfer the patched init_boot.img file from your device’s download folder on to the “ADB and Fastboot” folder in your computer. In the computer rename the patched file into: “patched_boot.img”.
9. Switch off your device. Now enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer.
10. Check if your computer recognizes your device. Go to “ADB and Fastboot” folder and enter the terminal command in command line: >>fastboot devices<< and hit enter. You should see your device now. If not, then please recheck if you have installed the drivers properly.
11. If you see your device then write the terminal command in command line: >>fastboot flash init_boot patched_boot.img<< and hit enter. Then write the terminal command in command line >>fastboot reboot<<. Now the device will restart.

Attention your device is now only temporary rooted, so don’t restart your device again just yet. Find Magisk app in your device, open it, click “install” and then check “direct install”, then press “let’s go”. Magisk will now install and make the root permanent. Now click “reboot” and the device will restart.

D: Install A Xiaomi.EU ROM

1. Your Bootloader must be unlocked (see Point B)
3. Download and put onto your computer the Xiaomi.eu ROM (please select houji) from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xi...xiaomi.eu/HyperOS-STABLE-RELEASES/HyperOS1.0/ and unzip it.
4. Switch off your device. Now enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer.
5. In your computer (in the Xiaomi.eu ROM folder) please click the file: “windows_fastboot_first_install_with_data_format.bat" (if you’re using windows, or press the proper file if you’re using mac or linux) and the computer will do the rest. When finished, your device will restart.

E: Root Your Xiaomi.EU ROM without TWRP

3. Download the fastboot ROM (the same ROM which is currently installed in your device) from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xi...xiaomi.eu/HyperOS-STABLE-RELEASES/HyperOS1.0/ and unzip it.
6. Download the latest Magisk manager App from here: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk and install it on to your device.
7. Open Magisk App and click install, and then "select and patch a file" (of course you select “init_boot.img”).
8. Transfer the patched init_boot.img file from your device’s download folder on to the “ADB and Fastboot” folder in your computer. In the computer rename the patched file into: “patched_boot.img”.
9. Switch off your device. Now enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer.
10. Check if your computer recognizes your device. Go to “ADB and Fastboot” folder and enter the terminal command in command line: >>fastboot devices<< and hit enter. You should see your device now. If not, then please recheck if you have installed the drivers properly.
11. If you see your device then write the terminal command in command line: >>fastboot flash init_boot patched_boot.img<< and hit enter. Then write the terminal command in command line >>fastboot reboot<<. Now the device will restart.

Attention your device is now only temporary rooted, so don’t restart your device again just yet. Find Magisk app in your device, open it, click “install” and then check “direct install”, then press “let’s go”. Magisk will now install and make the root permanent. Now click “reboot” and the device will restart.

F: Install TWRP

To be updated once the official TWRP for this device is available.

G: Install A Custom ROM

To be updated once official custom ROMs (Lineage etc.) for this device are available.

H: Return To Original HyperOS

1. Flashing Without MiFlash-Tool

a. Your Bootloader must be unlocked (see Point B)
b. You must enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" as per point A.2.
c. Download and put onto your computer the latest fastboot ROM (your device’s original ROM - Global, EEA, etc.) from here: https://mifirm.net/model/houji.ttt and unzip it.
d. Switch off your device. Now enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer.
e. In your computer (in the folder where you have put your ROM) please click the file:

+ “flash_all.bat" (if you want to make a clean install but keep the bootloader unlocked).
+ “flash_all_except_storage" (if you want to make a clean install but keep your data and maintain the bootloader unlocked).
+ “flash_all_lock" (if you want to make a clean install and lock the bootloader).

In all three cases when flashing is finished, restart your device.

If this method doesn’t work then try method no. 2:

2. Flashing With MiFlash-Tool

a. Your Bootloader must be unlocked (see Point B)
b. You must enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" as per point A.2.
c. Download and put onto your computer the latest fastboot ROM (your device’s original ROM - Global, EEA, etc.) from here: https://mifirm.net/model/houji.ttt and unzip it.
d. Switch off your device. Now enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer.
e. Please download this MiFlash-Tool “MiFlash2018-5-28-0_HyperOS”: https://mega.nz/file/VnEgiS6I#uMz1xSYDW59SisPcLpir44fJPUNjvNC9rFfjL4pE5xk
f. Unzip the file and open and run as administrator the “XiaoMiFlash.exe”
g. Press “select” and look for the unzipped ROM. Before you press “flash” look at the bottom right there are 3 choices: “clean all”, “save user data” and “clean all and lock” (the last one, as the name suggests, will lock your bootloader), when you choose the one you prefer then press “flash. The flashing tool will do the rest.

If my guide helped you, please click "thanks" and enjoy your phone.

Last edited:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

1. Waiting time to unlock the bootloader

Q. If I receive the message: "unlocking can be done after 72h etc.". Is there a way to skip this waiting time?
A: Unfortunately you have to wait for that time to pass. There’s no way around it (that I know of).

2. Unlock procedure stops at 99%

Q: If my unlock procedure stops at 99%, what could be the problem?
A: Most probably you're using two different Xiaomi accounts. You have to use the same account that you have added into the device also in the unlock tool otherwise it will not work.

3. Recommended ad-blocker (for rooted devices)

Q: I want to block the advertisement in all apps, what app can you recommend?
A: If you decide to root your device, then you can install AdAway from here: https://adaway.org/. In order for AdAway to work properly please add in the Magisk App the Systemless Hosts (Magisk/Settings/Systemless Hosts).

4. Retaining the root after ROM update

Q: If I root my device as per point C or E of the AiO and I install a system update in my device, is the root still available?
A: Unfortunately root will be removed after the system update. So you have to repeat the procedure in point C or E (depending on what rom you have in your device).

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for write this procedure, but unafortunaly i have an issue, i did all the steps BUT, when i try to bind my xiaomi account (with the permission to unlock the BL in the global xiaomi community) still having the "couldnt add, please go to xiaomi community and apply... etc" error, my phone is the xiaomi 14Pro with chinesse rom and hyperOS by default. i saw some people saying people with this issue need to apply in the chinese community x_x ? but impossible if you are not a chinese citizen. thanks a lot.

How do you check if it is a china dedicated device? I can't find Xiaomi community app at all. Mine only has "mi community"
You can click the link in C.3. in post #1 of this thread and check all the rom versions. Current chinese stable version is OS1.0.31.0.UNCCNXM. Go to your device settings/about phone amd you can see your OS Version.

Last edited:
You can click the link in C.3. in post #1 of this thread and check all the rom versions. Current chinese stable version is OS1.0.31.0.UNCCNXM. Go to your device settings/about phone amd you can see your OS Version.
I have UNACNXM. Xiaomi community says successfully applied for unlock permissions but the binding option in developer options says I still need permissions

Hello, regarding the root all went fine, however when I run some EXTENDED root checker like TB checker, I get this report and I would like to know if someone knows, if its necessary to take care of the red items. Thanks for any reply.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 136
@serenex
C: Root Your HyperOS ROM without TWRP

3. Download the fastboot ROM (the same ROM which is currently installed in your device) from here: https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/firmware/houji/ or here: https://mifirm.net/model/houji.ttt and unzip it.

Hello,
First of all thank you for the guide.

My phone is a Xiaomi 14
OS version: 1.014.0.UNCEUXM
I think it is global, right?

Thank you..

In step C.3 from the first link, if i download the file: fw_houji_miui_HOUJIEEAGlobal_OS1.0.14.0.UNCEUXM_d0dc61697d_14.0.zip from the first link, but .....
Where it is located the init_boot.img file?
This is the unzipped file:

1710452810509.png

Or ....
If from the second link, which file do we need to download?
I dont see my OS version in the list.
Can you link it? or send me a message? : )

And last question....
Can we use this procedure for the stable right?

Thanks a lot

@serenex

Hello,
First of all thank you for the guide.

My phone is a Xiaomi 14
OS version: 1.014.0.UNCEUXM
I think it is global, right?

Thanks a lot
Hi, you have the same version that I have on my phone, and that is the EEA version. It looks like you were downloading the recovery (*.zip) file from the first link. So I removed the first link to avoid confusion. As I said in AiO you need the fastboot (*.tgz) file. Please download the exact fastboot file with the OS number that you have in your smartphone right now. If you click the link in point C.3. (https://mifirm.net/model/houji.ttt), then select Fastboot EEA, you'll be forwarded to this download link: https://mifirm.net/download/11669. Download that ROM from the the Miflash-Server (it is faster), unzip it and you'll find the init_boot.img. The rest of the steps as per AiO.

In the meantime Xioami.EU Team seems to have released the stable version for Xiaomi 14 (houji), hence yes that is the download link:

P.S.: I'm sure you know this but let me write it nonetheless, if you want to flash Xiaomi.EU ROM you don't need to first root your existing original HyperOS ROM. After you have unlocked the bootloader you can proceed immediately and flash the Xiaomi.EU ROM.

Hello, regarding the root all went fine, however when I run some EXTENDED root checker like TB checker, I get this report and I would like to know if someone knows, if its necessary to take care of the red items. Thanks for any reply.

I guess the current form of root satisfies your needs for root, you can use the desired apps that require root and hence enjoy it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruchval
P.S.: I'm sure you know this but let me write it nonetheless, if you want to flash Xiaomi.EU ROM you don't need to first root your existing original HyperOS ROM. After you have unlocked the bootloader you can proceed immediately and flash the Xiaomi.EU ROM.
Thanks for replying.

I guess that STEP 3 refers to unlock the original xiaomi rom.
and stay in that.

And step "E: Root Your Xiaomi.EU ROM without TWRP" refers to the current xiaomi.eu - hyperOS rom
after installing the current STABLE or WEEKLY EU or HYPEROS from xiaomi.eu.

this was a bit confusing at time of reading, now its clear.

my suggestion change xiaomi.eu by hyperos.eu :)

--------------------

I tried to flash the xiaomi.eu hyperos stable, and it ends in a fastboot loop :(
xiaomi.eu_multi_HOUJI_OS1.0.32.0.UNCCNXM_os1-14.zip

---> fixed here

Last edited:
Hello!
Has anyone else encountered this error?
the good PIN code is not accepted by this version of TWRP.
"password failed, please try again!"
At first I thought I had typed it wrong, but I didn't. It just refuses to accept it and thus won't unlock TWRP.
Also, is the top of TWRP pink for anyone else? Not the usual blue.
TWRP: twrp-3.7.1_12-v8.6_A14-houji-skkk

Attachments

• 12001.jpg
    12001.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 80
Oh, I see.
Is it enough to turn off the PIN in the system, and TWRP will work fine afterwards?
Can't this color be changed? 1-2 lines in the log are hard to read.

Thanks for the information. I try to read up on things. I found the information on this page.
If TWRP can't recover, you can't install, backup, or restore from backup.
If I install from OTG from USB, will it work if TWRP can't decrypt the internal storage?

Last edited:
I had my 14 ultra China version
and the bootloader was unlocked by ncunlock. com.
I flashed the latest Taiwan version and followed your tutorial for rooting and it works very well.

May I ask, if ever I will receive a new official update, does my phone will boot as normal even the root was gone? Coz I know it will replace all the filesystem inside including boot.

Can anyone tell me if there is an official version (Indian, Russian, Taiwan, Indonesia) of HyperOS with Mi Dialer and Call Recording?

mi 14 i have done all actions i got approved but i get this message this device is not activated please activate it and try to unlock it again
If you followed Dash A. Above (especially No. 4.-6. "community unlock") and the advices linked below, I have no further clue: :emoji_shrug:

No. An unlocked bootloader is required for installation via Miflash.

spaceboyagr

There is one method, but not everyone will succeed. Check out similar videos. (Use only if you have a Global Device)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Just got my 14Ultra (Global) today. The first thing I did was turn go attempt to unlock the bootloader. I created a Mi account and it says I need to wait 30 days. I guess didn't read the first post carefully enough. I've been watching for the 14Ultra for several months planning to install the xiaomi.eu rom (once it is available). I guess I should have created my account months ago, now I feel stupid.
I hoped that the xiaomi eu rom would be available sometime in the next week or two and I'd switch over. I'd rather not setup/transfer everything on the new phone only to need to wipe it to install the new ROM. I guess I need to do that or stick with my old phone for another 30 days

Is there any way around this 30day barrier?

Just got my 14Ultra (Global) today. The first thing I did was turn go attempt to unlock the bootloader. I created a Mi account and it says I need to wait 30 days. I guess didn't read the first post carefully enough. I've been watching for the 14Ultra for several months planning to install the xiaomi.eu rom (once it is available). I guess I should have created my account months ago, now I feel stupid.
I hoped that the xiaomi eu rom would be available sometime in the next week or two and I'd switch over. I'd rather not setup/transfer everything on the new phone only to need to wipe it to install the new ROM. I guess I need to do that or stick with my old phone for another 30 days

Is there any way around this 30day barrier?
You could ask if someone is willing to lend you their account as everybody can unlock 3 devices per year.. Friend of yours maybe?

Sent from my Mi 11 Ultra.