[ultimate Guide] How To Unlock Bootloader, Root And Flash Recovery On Redmi Note 3

sebsch1991

Members
Sep 23, 2011
Unlock Bootloader

You can easily unlock your Bootloader with the following procedure. You dont need to apply for any Unlock Code or other stuff.

REQUIREMENTS:
-- RedMi Note 3
-- Developer ROM installed (stable will not work !!!)
-- working MI-Account (verified and SIM CARD activated)
-- Unlocking Software ( get it here )

1. Start your Phone running a developer ROM
  2. Proceed through the Setup Wizard
  3. Connect your Phone to your verified Mi-Account (Settings -> Accounts)
  4. Login to i.mi.com and make sure that your new RedMi Note 3 is connected to that Account. (It appears that it only works when you connected a SIM-Card/Phone Number to your Account - Can be from another phone but your Account must be linked to a SIM-Card.)
  5. Reboot your Phone to Fastboot Mode (Power + volume down)
  6. Connect your Phone via USB to your Computer
  7. Start the MiFlashUnlock.exe (find the link at REQUIREMENTS)
  8. Click the left Button (chinese text)
  9. Login with your Mi-Account you used to link your new Phone
  10. Press the Button with chinese Text and watch the show
  11. Your Bootloader is unlocked when the progressbar shows 100%.
  12. Reboot your phone.

Flash TWRP Recovery
You will need the TWRP recovery to root your device. Further you will be able to install Custom ROMs (like sMiUI) on your device.
I have linked an existing TWRP Image made by a guy called "cloud". Unfortunately he still had a bug in his version which cancelled ROM installations for the RedMi Note 3! I patched the TWRP Image and fixed this bug. So you will find a fully working TWRP Image in the Requirements.

REQUIREMENTS:
-- RedMi Note 3
-- Unlocked Bootloader (see above)
-- TWRP Image File ( DOWNLOAD )
-- Fastboot Binaries (you can find a fastboot.exe in the Unlocking Software ZIP)

1. Boot your Phone to Fastboot Mode (Power + volume down)
  2. Connect your Phone via USB to your Computer
  3. Start a windows terminal in the directory where your patched TWRP Image and Fastboot exe is located.
  4. type "fastboot flash recovery TWRP_redminote3_patchedBySebsch1991.img"
  5. Wait for the process to finish
  6. type "fastboot reboot"
  7. After your system comes up you can reboot to Recovery mode (Power + volume up)
  8. Enjoy your fully working TWRP Recovery

Enable ROOT Access

REQUIREMENTS:
-- RedMi Note 3
-- SuperSU Zip-File ( DOWNLOAD )

1. Download the SuperSU Zip-File and copy it on your Phone
  2. Boot your Phone to Recovery Mode (Power + volume up)
  3. Chose "INSTALL"
  4. Chose the downloaded SuperSU Zip-File
  5. Wait for installation process to finish
  6. Reboot your Device
  7. Enjoy rooted RedMi Note 3!
Check out www.smiui.net for a pre-rooted ROM with many other Features! (redmi note 3 version coming soon)

Last edited:
I am on China Developer 5.12.24 ROM, will it work ?
Also, for 3gb/32gb version hope it works.

Pls tell me, once we unlock the bootloader, will we be able to upgrade the ROM via OTA ?

Because there r not many ROMs are available for this device, as officially its unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Hi! You should add this part (Developer ROM installation) to your guide:

WARNING: During this Process all data will be wiped
  • Download Developer ROM here
  • Place that .zip file at the root of the internal storage (don't paste it in any folder).
  • Go to Updater App (you will find it in Homescreen > Tools (folder) > Update)
  • Tap on the 3 dots (right corner of the screen) > Select .zip file downloaded previously.
  • The phone will reboot and you will be on Developer ROM!
Thanks to Muz_paray from en.miui.com.

Skickat från min HUAWEI CRR-L09

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1451141702974.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1451141702974.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,285
Probably you need fully activated and verified Xiaomi account. I have the same when using new Xiaomi account (but not binded to Sim card).

Wysłano z MI Note

Reactions: sebsch1991
Probably you need fully activated and verified Xiaomi account. I have the same when using new Xiaomi account (but not binded to Sim card).

Wysłano z MI Note
It worked 100% for me . I used it with my existing Mi-Account which is bound to my SIM-Card. I logged in to the Xiaomi Cloud and checked that the RedMi Note 3 is listed there.

I edited the first post, please try again with a fully activated Mi-Account and make sure you connected your RedMi Note 3 with your account before trying.

please report if it works now.

Thanks for the guide but unfortunately it does not work. It seems like only a few account (with a higher level) are able to unlock the bootloader for now. I have a very new account, 100% verified with mi.com, but still I keep getting the unlock message, same as the users above. Some say the tool will be released next week for everybody, just wait and see ...

Reactions: feds64
Yes, it works for me. But I don't flash anything so next week I test it :) The rooting method only when I did from twrp and it success :)

Reactions: feds64
I signed with my main Xiaomi account (with 5 verified Xiaomi devices) but the tool says after 50% that it can't verify the device (red X sign).

Wysłano z MI Note

Reactions: MeMXiaomi
I signed with my main Xiaomi account (with 5 verified Xiaomi devices) but the tool says after 50% that it can't verify the device (red X sign).

Wysłano z MI Note
you need to flash from developer rom, not stable. and you also have to sign in your mi account with the note 3 .. that should work