New 12.5.10 some recent apps not open

Hey, I stumbled on this thread looking for a fix for this bug and I think I found one for Nova Launcher. (Haven't run into it for the last few hours of use, but I'll give an update if the bug happens again. You could try it out and see if it works.)

Spec:
Poco F3
Nova Prime 7
MIUI by Xiaomi.eu 12.5.6 Stable

Set Launcher to Default (Settings > Home Screen > Default Launcher > System Launcher )
Set Theme to Default (Themes App> My Account >Themes > Default > Apply)
Turn on Gestures (Settings > Search "System Navigation" > Select Gestures instead of Buttons)
You should see the gesture bar at the bottom.
Switch to Nova Launcher (you should still have a gesture bar at this point.)
While you're in Nova Launcher, turn off all Nova Gesture (Nova Settings > Gesture & Input > Turn off everything).
Set the default launcher as Nova (while still in Nova.) This should get rid of the gesture bar and bring back the on-screen navigation. At this point, you can open Recent again without the disappearing bug.

Other:
I change my wallpaper through Nova Launcher (click and hold on home screen) and lock screen wallpaper through the Themes app, but changing the Lock screen style from any other theme causes the bug again. I can still use gestures (3 fingers to screenshot, double-tap to wake)

Idk if any of these make a difference but I use:
- Notification Shade > Android
- Control Center Style > Old version

Hope this works for someone else.
Unfortunately no success for me. Pity!

Unfortunately no success for me. Pity!
I don't think this is really a solution for the underlying problem.
Switching between System Launcher and 3rd party launchers "fixes" the problem only for a short time.

On my F2 pro, it can take up to 20 hours, but the problem returns every time, at least for now.
I retry again with every new weekly version, but without success.

Xiaomi has acknowledged the problem in their own forums (and promised to look into it), but they have obviously not found a solution yet.

Reactions: lurkingintheforest
I don't think this is really a solution for the underlying problem.
Switching between System Launcher and 3rd party launchers "fixes" the problem only for a short time.

On my F2 pro, it can take up to 20 hours, but the problem returns every time, at least for now.
I retry again with every new weekly version, but without success.

Xiaomi has acknowledged the problem in their own forums (and promised to look into it), but they have obviously not found a solution yet.
Do you happen to know which version was the last without this issue? I am thinking of reverting as it is impossible to live with this...

What I fail to understand is how on earth did they not find this bug when they introduced it. It is so obvious.

Do you happen to know which version was the last without this issue? I am thinking of reverting as it is impossible to live with this...

What I fail to understand is how on earth did they not find this bug when they introduced it. It is so obvious.
As far as i remember, the last version that didn't have the problem (or at least had no mentions of it in this forum) were 21.7.28 or 21.8.4

And about not finding the bug earlier: As i said already, it sometimes took nearly a day from installing the new weekly to the problem showing itself. It seems the problem is very context-dependant.

By the way... one other way of forcing this bug to happen is by changing the font size.
Strangely, I can't set an S * (font size) on my mi note 10 lite (12.5.2). Does anyone else have the problem? When I turned on the standard launcher * briefly, the Nova only works with 3 navigation buttons :(

One stupid idea... can't we use the fixed launcher as reported earlier for 10T to update the buggy ones?

Hey, I stumbled on this thread looking for a fix for this bug and I think I found one for Nova Launcher. (Haven't run into it for the last few hours of use, but I'll give an update if the bug happens again. You could try it out and see if it works.)

Spec:
Poco F3
Nova Prime 7
MIUI by Xiaomi.eu 12.5.6 Stable

Set Launcher to Default (Settings > Home Screen > Default Launcher > System Launcher )
Set Theme to Default (Themes App> My Account >Themes > Default > Apply)
Turn on Gestures (Settings > Search "System Navigation" > Select Gestures instead of Buttons)
You should see the gesture bar at the bottom.
Switch to Nova Launcher (you should still have a gesture bar at this point.)
While you're in Nova Launcher, turn off all Nova Gesture (Nova Settings > Gesture & Input > Turn off everything).
Set the default launcher as Nova (while still in Nova.) This should get rid of the gesture bar and bring back the on-screen navigation. At this point, you can open Recent again without the disappearing bug.

Other:
I change my wallpaper through Nova Launcher (click and hold on home screen) and lock screen wallpaper through the Themes app, but changing the Lock screen style from any other theme causes the bug again. I can still use gestures (3 fingers to screenshot, double-tap to wake)

Idk if any of these make a difference but I use:
- Notification Shade > Android
- Control Center Style > Old version

Hope this works for someone else.
Unfortunately that didn't work for me, Mi 11 Ultra running stable MIUI 12.5.12

Reactions: Andrew733
Can anybody test 21.9.8 on K30 Pro / Poco F2 Pro? I am on stable and going to weekly bootloops my device.

Can anybody test 21.9.8 on K30 Pro / Poco F2 Pro? I am on stable and going to weekly bootloops my device.
Hey, you MUST format the data partition of your device if you want to switch to the Weekly (Beta) branch. ;)

Reactions: JiaiJ
Yep. Exactly that one
Btw... coming from EEA to Miui EU (granted it is the Enhanced edition) really impressed me. Way less lag, better battery, but also there are some downsides like the font (which the default is way too big, smaller is way too small).

I have worked relentlessly to track this bug and I do have some good news. After going back and forward through the last few stable versions of Miui EU I have found out where the bug lies and the version where it was introduced.

So the launcher is to blame... more specifically the bug was introduced in Miui System Launcher somewhere between version 4.21.16.3216 and 4.21.18.3206. In my particular case (POCO F2 Pro/K30 Pro) v12.5.2 ROM was fine v12.5.3 onward is not.

@Poney70 I saw you had some TWRP zips to downgrade the launcher, but I cannot seem to make them work. Do you know what options are there to downgrade the launcher?

PS: Going to new ALPHA releases of Miui System Launcher still show the bug.

Last edited:
I have worked relentlessly to track this bug and I do have some good news. After going back and forward through the last few stable versions of Miui EU I have found out where the bug lies and the version where it was introduced.

So the launcher is to blame... more specifically the bug was introduced in Miui System Launcher somewhere between version 4.21.16.3216 and 4.21.18.3206. In my particular case (POCO F2 Pro/K30 Pro) v21.5.2 ROM was fine v21.5.3 onward is not.

@Poney70 I saw you had some TWRP zips to downgrade the launcher, but I cannot seem to make them work. Do you know what options are there to downgrade the launcher?

PS: Going to new ALPHA releases of Miui System Launcher still show the bug.
You should be more careful. Much of what you said makes no sense. There is no such launcher version "4.21.16.3216" (in fact it makes no chronological sense), and there are no such ROM versions as 21.5.2 or 21.5.3...

You should be more careful. Much of what you said makes no sense. There is no such launcher version "4.21.16.3216" (in fact it makes no chronological sense), and there are no such ROM versions as 21.5.2 or 21.5.3...
Sorry... it was a typo... I meant 12.5.2, 12.5.3. As for the Launcher versioning - I am as confused as you but the uploading date puts them in a chronological order (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/xiaomi-inc/miui-launcher/)

Sorry... it was a typo... I meant 12.5.2, 12.5.3. As for the Launcher versioning - I am as confused as you but the uploading date puts them in a chronological order (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/xiaomi-inc/miui-launcher/)
Then check again, because 4.21.16.3216 < 4.21.18.3206, but 3216 > 3206 which makes no sense when it comes to the launcher's versioning.
And in any case, the amount of code changes between these versions is massive, so it's not that useful. I was never able to reproduce your issue.

I do realize that, that is why it confuses me, but I think they may be different branches hence the weird build number when compared to the actual version.

For those willing to give it a try I have created this Magisk module (based on https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/miui-launcher-moded.59189/#post-581812) that downgrades the MIUI Launcher version to the last RELEASE version that does not exhibit the bug (4.21.16.3126).

Let me know if that does the trick for you guys. On my Poco F2 Pro running MIUI stable v12.5.4 it seems to work just fine. But of course take it with a grain of salt.

PS: SafetyNet still ok if you are wondering.

Last edited:
Then check again, because 4.21.16.3216 < 4.21.18.3206, but 3216 > 3206 which makes no sense when it comes to the launcher's versioning.
And in any case, the amount of code changes between these versions is massive, so it's not that useful. I was never able to reproduce your issue.
The way I reproduce it is very straightforward. Install version 12.5.3 or 12.5.4 for my POCO F2 Pro, install Nova Launcher, go to settings and change the font size and then check the Recent apps. The same happens if I change the Theme.