MIUI 12.5 21.3.17/18

Do you like this MIUI version?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
[Added later: proper backup with an app requires rooting; otherwise the phone's and Google's backup are probably the best that can be done to back up apps and their data. A NANDroid backup with TWRP/Orangefox backs everything up. Titanium can restore individual apps and data from a NANDroid backup.]

I've looked at Swift Backup following the recommendation in a post here, though haven't (yet?) tried it. I've checked lots of reviews, and xda-developers. I'll post what I found out (I don't think backup is off-topic for a forum to do with beta-testing, apologies if I'm wasting bandwidth). There is also a useful FAQ on the SB Web site. The Play Store page or the SB FAQ (I forget) gives the reasons for requiring Google account login.

Reviews on Google Play are worth reading.
xda discussion of Titanium's shortcomings with current Androids, and replacement:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/farewell-to-titanium-backup-looking-for-alternative.3932814/ Swift Backup seems to be the best-favoured.

I made some lengthy notes for my purposes (I need a good backup); I'll post them here, without editing. A lot of this is pasted from discussions, particularly if in "quotes".

Earlier free versions only backed up one-by-one; from v3.5 batch backup is possible in free version. Must sign in with a Google account, but can then be used offline.

Note: possibly backups not stored in the cloud are restricted to the device being backed up, can't restore to another. Swift Backup is associated with a particular Google account. [Note for xiaomi.eu posting: I later found info on restoring to a different device, see further down]

Android is becoming more restrictive. In particular, all partitions except /data are mounted read-only when running Android, so system apps can't be deleted while running; a custom recovery can be used.

adb backup is no longer supported by Google, and is likely not to work properly.

Removable SD cards and OTG storage is not supported for several purposes; use the built-in "sdcard" and copy files.

Swift Backup folder locations are fixed, both locally and in the cloud, and can't be changed.
For external storage of backups, copy the 'SwiftBackup' folder. Restart the app to detect the copied-back backup. Android/data/org.swiftapps.swiftbackup/SwiftBackup

Multiple backups aren't supported (one extra "archived" backup can be stored).

A Swift Backup user ID is used to make the encryption key; user passwords are not supported. As an alternative, upload backup files to a personal cloud server (PC/NAS device) using the available cloud options in the app like, for example, WebDAV.

"some apps may have additional security or keystore based protection which make it easy to detect a factory reset or a change in device. There is no way to fix this. Regardless, most apps restore fine with Swift Backup."

"using official version, but it always fails autentification" ... "clear data of Google Play Store and retry."

"is it possible to back up app data on one phone and sync it on an another?" ... "you can copy 'SwiftBackup' from your device or you can sync your app backup to cloud on device 1 and then use it on device 2 by switching the cloud backup tag in the 'Cloud sync' tab. Must use the same Google account in the app on both the devices."

"Significantly worse than Titanium Backup and Lucky Patcher and Uret Patcher; they all offer much more extensive possibilities besides backing up apps."

(2018) "the lack of system app support is a problem, as things like Gboard or Gmail that are installed to the system partition can't be backed up. The APKs don't need to be backed up, just the data." ... "System apps are tricky and I think most users don't know stuff before messing up with system apps (Accidental uninstall of a critical app). But restoring only data could be a good idea - working on it for later version."

"option to delete specific app backups (even specific backup parts) is available. Go to Local/Cloud synced apps, tap an app item which will open the detail screen. You can backup/restore/delete backups here."
===============================================================
Titanium hanging restore problem: I disabled "Verify apps over USB" and it allowed my hanging restores to complete. HOWEVER, the apps in question then crashed every time I tried to open them.
---
Did you take a look at logcat for details of the crash? I had similar issues; I needed to change permissions/ownership on a single directory (/sdcard?). I had to do this once, and then all subsequent restores have been working fine. it's quite easy to do with "adb logcat" and then just try to start the app.

The best thing I did was not to try to restore everything on the new phone, but just selectively restore apps that I missed from the old phone over time. apps like signal/whatapp need specialized restore processes anyway due to encryption, and the storage of data outside of the app data location.
---
Titanium Backup often does not restore the APK properly, but I have had great success in restoring app data and I can always download and install the app from APKMonk, APKMirror F-Droid or my backup APK. Without GAPPS, the Titanium Backup PRO key will not work and the free app is too limiting, though using a licence file should work.
---
The problem of apps with split APK's makes it harder to make your own backup APK, and if you can't find the full APK on a mirror, you can be in trouble. I have found a good solution using SAI (which doesn't back up app data; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aefyr.sai&hl=en&gl=US ).
I backup the app with TiB (which, as you say, does a good job still with the app data). And I backup the APKs with SAI. Between the two, I can rollback/restore/etcetera.
================================================================
Another option: oandbackup is an open source backer-up which has been criticised as not having many features and not updated since March 2019. OAndBackupX is a fork with "a sleek, modern user interface, compatibility with newer Android versions, the ability to handle split APKs, support for in-app backup encryption, and many more improvements". (3 Oct 20; app continues to be maintained Mar 21)
For non rooted users, I think helium still works (though if adb fails,it may fail to), but I think it doesn't support split apks. Also as somebody else said, check migrate too.
PS. Yesterday I made a backup of my phone apps (non system ones) with swift backup. I might buy the pro version when (and if) I make a nas to sync the data.

Hello everyone. I apologize in advance for my english.
I already wrote about this in the bugs section, but there is no answer yet.
I found out such a problem - when the device is connected to the car via bluetooth, the connection status is "Connected (except audio)". If I disable AAC for this connection, the checkbox will still return to the "Enabled" status when I close settings. When I try to change the audio codec in developer mode, the changes are also not saved and are reset to "default" after close dev. settings. Car of 2020, this problem did not arise on the stable rom. I also tried to delete the connection, restart the phone and car media center - to no avail. The only problem is with this connection, the headphones work without problems.
I checked this problem at global stable with Android 11, it has same problem.
All the same, the problem is in the android 11, not in the xiaomi.eu version

I've been having issues with these firmwares on my mi9 since a few weeks (not sure which version it started).
Everything relating to internal network is having problems:
- Calling someone on whatsapp within the same network (wifi) - connection breaks continuously. Stopping wifi and it works
- Watching my camera's in mi home (same network) - no connection - switching to 4g and it works
- Performing actions on my Sonos devices on the same network - connectivity errors.
- My girlfriend who uses an iphone has none of these problems. My old mi6 works fine as well (with an older miui of course).
- My PC has none of these problems (same access point, wifi as well).

Is this an issue with the firmware and are there any other people who have encountered the same issues?

Last edited:
I just found out that the email app from MIUI in this version doesn't work. I had the emails of my site to be redirected and to my gmail account, but when I checked them today and at the native app of my Mi 10, last email received was one week ago. I deleted the account and tried to reenter it and says it cannot connect to my server. At the same time, at my Mi 8 that has the latest rom from here 20.9.4, emails comes normally from my site. So is the ROM that has problem.

Just for the record, everything, included webview, is updated.

Last edited:
I have upgraded my old mi 8 to mi 11.
Issue or bug is no aptX with my vivo TWS which works correctly on my good old mi 8 but not mi 11, only AAC
also it doesn't show battery level for each earphone

any suggestions? 10x

How can I go deeply to analyze the "Others" in battery stat?
Mi11 with clean install, 22h with full charge, dark mode on, all day GPS off, AOD off. "Others" goes to 20% / 25% full day
I'm going crazy with it!

Last edited:
How can I go deeply to analyze the "Others" in battery stat?
Mi11 with clean install, 22h with full charge, dark mode on, all day GPS off, AOD off. "Others" goes to 20% / 25% full day
I'm going crazy with it!
Play around with the settings (I think you have to go into the apps category and select a random app) to make it ask for root access (or to work with adb). Very nice tool.

Reactions: maxdid
Hello, sorry if my question is wrong here ... I'm on mi mix 3 and I have a problem, I was on version 20.5.21 and everything went great, yesterday I updated to version 20.9.4 and I have big battery drain ... when I downgrade to version 20.5.21, my phone does not boot but goes back to TWRP. Now I am back to version 20.9.4 via backup, what do I have to do to be able to successfully downgrade to version 20.5.21?
Hey there,
Don't know about downgrade but if you want to stop the battery draining you need to Uninstall all updates from google play services (they will reinstall correctly on their own afterwards) and/or uncheck the google location accuracy.
It worked for me ;)
Have a nice day!

Hi, i was reading in previous comments that some devices don't have Widevine L1, just to confirm that also the Note 8 is in Widevine L3 in this latest build 21.3.17, sorry for my bad english

For me if it serves as a reference, to restore backups, like The Migrate, none.
Well optimized and integrated with Android 11.
You make backup, it generates a Zip which you restore by twrp, and solved.

Hi, I have the same issue on my MI9. I've checked the TX/RX rates on my WIFI router, and MI9 is terrible slow. Sometimes I have 13/4 or lower. Despite the 130mbit rate on my print-screen, true speed is 20-30mbit/s and other devices have over 300mbit/s.

I've testet my MI9 with 3 routers in different places so this is my phone fault...
Also there is a star (*) instead of my phone name ;)

View attachment 35647

LOL just downgraded to 21.3.10 and WIFI is on max speed again... So its a BUG.

Reactions: cobray2
I've been having issues with these firmwares on my mi9 since a few weeks (not sure which version it started).
Everything relating to internal network is having problems:
- Calling someone on whatsapp within the same network (wifi) - connection breaks continuously. Stopping wifi and it works
- Watching my camera's in mi home (same network) - no connection - switching to 4g and it works
- Performing actions on my Sonos devices on the same network - connectivity errors.
- My girlfriend who uses an iphone has none of these problems. My old mi6 works fine as well (with an older miui of course).
- My PC has none of these problems (same access point, wifi as well).

Is this an issue with the firmware and are there any other people who have encountered the same issues?
whitout any log , all these are 0

Why are my screenshots kinda dark?
fe1a76057148a4c1654bf08591008f83.jpg

MI9 6/128 ILFforever.

Hello guys! With Mi11 and Miui 21.3.17 I have this graphical problem on the screen after using Camera. As you can see after using the camera in landscape mode sometimes appears on the screen a black circle and the other black artifact.
You have the same issue? It is fine after a reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.