MIUI 8.3 7.2.16/17

Do you like this MIUI version?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Phone freezes after long press on Home Button, even though it should launch Google Now. I tried to config it in Settings-> Buttons and did, but same thing happens.

Mi5S

Is there something to manually fix this thing? I love this ROM

1- make google app as system app (via titanium backup. if process will be take a long time, reboot phone, it will be transform to system app)
2- check home button option as "launch google now" on buttons on additional setting on settings
3- check assist app option as "google app" on settings / installed Apps / defaults (Down left on the screen) / Assist & Voice Input / Assist App

it not will be broken

Last edited:
Phone freezes after long press on Home Button, even though it should launch Google Now. I tried to config it in Settings-> Buttons and did, but same thing happens.

Mi5S

Go to applications, button on the bottom (on the left) as assistant choose Google app. Now it works

Mi5S

I'm on china stable rom and since the last update to 8.2.2.0 there are the same issues on my MI5S 3/64.
I fixed it this way:
1. Unlocked MIUI Optimizations from the Developper Menu Options (I always do that for other reasons, too..). It needs restart - you'll have to agree to that.
2. Then went to Settings / Installed Apps / Default (Down left on the screen) / Assist & Voice Input / Assist App (Leave it to Smart Assistant! Do not put Google as assistant, because it doesn't work after exiting the menu and cleaning the open apps.)
3. Then configured the long press of the Home Button in menu Buttons to open the Assistant (and not Google Now).
4. Then at first long press on the Home Button the MIUI is asking you which assistant to be used and to remember your choice. You'll have to choose Google then and to check the option to remember your choice. And voila...everything goes well from now on.
The last option works only if (1.) is done. If you turn MIUI Optimizations ON, then MIUI takes the leadership and it opens Smart Assistant automatically without asking you which assistant you choose.
I don't know if the xiaomi.eu rom is modified somehow in these options...
Enjoy your MI5s! Great mobile, isn't it?! ;)

I'm on china stable rom and since the last update to 8.2.2.0 there are the same issues on my MI5S 3/64.
I fixed it this way:
1. Unlocked MIUI Optimizations from the Developper Menu Options (I always do that for other reasons, too..). It needs restart - you'll have to agree to that.
2. Then went to Settings / Installed Apps / Default (Down left on the screen) / Assist & Voice Input / Assist App (Leave it to Smart Assistant! Do not put Google as assistant, because it doesn't work after exiting the menu and cleaning the open apps.)
3. Then configured the long press of the Home Button in menu Buttons to open the Assistant (and not Google Now).
4. Then at first long press on the Home Button the MIUI is asking you which assistant to be used and to remember your choice. You'll have to choose Google then and to check the option to remember your choice. And voila...everything goes well from now on.
The last option works only if (1.) is done. If you turn MIUI Optimizations ON, then MIUI takes the leadership and it opens Smart Assistant automatically without asking you which assistant you choose.
I don't know if the xiaomi.eu rom is modified somehow in these options...
Enjoy your MI5s! Great mobile, isn't it?! ;)
Hello friend thanks for the answer.

On step 3, option to open the assistant isn't there :(

I can only choose

Nothing
Show recent apps
Launch Google Now
Close current app
Launch fast search
So this option is omitted from the eu.rom as it seems.
Are you sure (1.) is already done?
P.S. Probably, it is, because Smart Assistant is a chinese feature. We usually use Google..

But not need to close miui optimization. If you make this, yes you are fix it. but it is not reality solution.
i fixed it in 3 steps:
1- make google app as system app (via titanium backup. if process will be take a long time, reboot phone, it will be transform to system app)
2- check home button option as "launch google now" on buttons on additional setting on settings
3- check assist app option as "google app" on settings / installed Apps / defaults (Down left on the screen) / Assist & Voice Input / Assist App

it not will be broken

So how can I do to make the Home Button long press launch Google App (with cards) like I had in other phone?

Quick update: I chose Google as Assistant in step 2 of what Vass66 recommended above and it worked well without crashing or anything even after exiting menu and closing open apps.

Maybe the error and crash you told @Vass66 was fixed in this 2.16?

Quick update: I chose Google as Assistant in step 2 of what Vass66 recommended above and it worked well without crashing or anything even after exiting menu and closing open apps.

Maybe the error and crash you told @Vass66 was fixed in this 2.16?
Glad to hear it! Restart the phone and try again to long press the Home button!
If it goes well, then you've made it... ;)

It's easy...
Go to applications folder, on the bottom left click on predefined apps
Then on the bottom you have assistant.
Click on that and choose Google app.
In some cases it's called launcher 3,it's the same...
Now if you long press home button you have Google now on tap

Status
Not open for further replies.