A simple update guide for xiaomi M2

Can you also tell me how I can update a fake M2 with JBL 5.0 and with only 1 partition and no updater App ?

I get Error: Invalid OTA package, missing scatter. Update.zip is not correct.

Hope there is a way to also update this phone and to install language packs.
I also often get messages: Failed to install..when I try to install apps and google play store will also not run while I installed it. It then says: Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped.

Hope you can help me.

I don't think it is a fake M2. I received my M2 yesterday, and have the same problems, and am also on JLB5. I took some photos and screenshots but can't figure out how to upload these. My believe is they've changed/updated something in the system. Mine doesn't have updater App, but has another updater that doesn't work. Same with the power + vol+ button: this looks more like CWM and has no option to install into a specific location. Power + vol - gives you a system check menu. This phone was build in dec 2012, and all reports (and benchmarks!) report a Xiaomi M2 quadcore with impressive results. Mine was ordered through aliexpress.

I don't think it is a fake M2. I received my M2 yesterday, and have the same problems, and am also on JLB5. I took some photos and screenshots but can't figure out how to upload these. My believe is they've changed/updated something in the system. Mine doesn't have updater App, but has another updater that doesn't work. Same with the power + vol+ button: this looks more like CWM and has no option to install into a specific location. Power + vol - gives you a system check menu. This phone was build in dec 2012, and all reports (and benchmarks!) report a Xiaomi M2 quadcore with impressive results. Mine was ordered through aliexpress.
You guys can believe what ever you want but if it doesn't have standard mi recovery and two systems, its fake. try reading sticky read. About change in setup by Xiaomi, try some other benchmark apps from play store. You will know the truth. Also check iemi I guess its same for you both

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

You guys can believe what ever you want but if it doesn't have standard mi recovery and two systems, its fake. try reading sticky read. About change in setup by Xiaomi, try some other benchmark apps from play store. You will know the truth. Also check iemi I guess its same for you both

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Fair enough: IMEI 867064010173142

Otherwise I have to look for a "real genuine" M2. Always difficult: buying something in China.

Check with your seller again, it's possible that your seller him/herself is not aware that your mi2 is fake. Like mine. So I'm getting mine replaced with a "genuine" one. Hopefully. :confused:

Thanks for clearing this up: it's a fake! I'll take my loss and look for a more reliable seller, however I didn't have any reason to suspect the one that sold me this one. Even spend 50 euro on DHL delivery.
Sorry for your loss. I just wanted you to know the truth. So maybe you can get real one or some other can be protected.

@wee I don't agree that seller didn't know that it was fake! If he is replacing then its good but be careful

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

My seller also didn't know that he sold a fake M2 but the question is still how I can update Miui, change language and instal play store and several other apps.

My seller also didn't know that he sold a fake M2 but the question is still how I can update Miui, change language and instal play store and several other apps.
You need the update which is made for your phone. If it's fake then don't use original miui. You might get brick or boot loop. Because the hard ware is so much different.

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Hi.
Im about to get my mi2 within the next few days
It will come with chinese preinstalled. i guess...
does it come with updater app or cwm recovery ?
Do i just load it with update.zip of english miui and install it, it will install on system 1 where chinese rom is
then i go back and install the language pack and im done?

You need the update which is made for your phone. If it's fake then don't use original miui. You might get brick or boot loop. Because the hard ware is so much different.

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Unless it is fake are the specs almost the same as original. I now only see a difference in resolution and no partitions.

of course, assuming its original.
There are no preparations needed, just flash miuiandroid English rom, correct?

Strange enough, when I installed the MIUIAndroid Rom via Updater, it installed to System 1 (never touched the phone before, did not change through recovery or similar).

So basically, System 2 is left untouched and still has the original chinese ROM. Anyone else had this?

So just to be absolutely sure:

I have a clean new Xiaomi Phone 2.

I will have to install the latest miuiandroid on both partitions to avoid any problems?

So I copy the update.rar to both root directories (on the partition 1 and 2) (also the google apps rar).
I install the rom using clockwork on partition 2 and using the updater app on partition 1.
After that I install google apps on both partitions using clockwork rom.

Correct so far?

Another question: why would they make 2 partitions on 1 phone (for 2 roms)?

Thank you for the replies :)

Matthias

So just to be absolutely sure:

I have a clean new Xiaomi Phone 2.

I will have to install the latest miuiandroid on both partitions to avoid any problems?

So I copy the update.rar to both root directories (on the partition 1 and 2) (also the google apps rar).
I install the rom using clockwork on partition 2 and using the updater app on partition 1.
After that I install google apps on both partitions using clockwork rom.

Correct so far?

Another question: why would they make 2 partitions on 1 phone (for 2 roms)?

Thank you for the replies :)

Matthias

Hey Matthias,

you don't have to install it on both partitions. Just download the latest ROM and language pack (if desired), connect your MI2 with USB, copy the file(s).

Disconnect from USB, start the Updater App, push the menu key on the bottom left and choose "Select Installation Pack". Select the corresponding ZIP-file, start update, reboot :)

Please keep in mind that you have to reboot before AND after flashing the language pack.

~ Klotzi

Absolutely.

1. MIUI Rom
2. GApps
3. Language Pack

Its a derivative from my last name, what can I say ;)

Hey guys

I tried to install the google apps the way Klotzi said, but it still seems not to work. It gives an error about to many arguments or something like that.

Anyone know any solution?

Kind regards,

Matthias

Hey guys

I tried to install the google apps the way Klotzi said, but it still seems not to work. It gives an error about to many arguments or something like that.

Anyone know any solution?

Kind regards,

Matthias
which rom are you using ? from this forum or chinese xiaomi rom ?

I used the rom from this site: MIUI Multi Lang 2.12.28/29 [ICS & JB] (from Miui android...)
I also downloaded the google apps package .zip from the same post on this site.

I have downloaded some of the apps seperatly now, but it would be great if I could just install the whole package.

if you installed this forums ROM then it should already have the google apps (and its only true for mi2). so you should already have the gtalk and Google Play Store on your device. the remaining apps can be installed from the play store.
so do you have the play store on your phone ?

Hi Hadron
Can you please guide us (with the brand new MI2 from the box) Step by step how to install the miuiandroid rom
I know this is the guide, but we do not understand that partitions thing...
What exactly should I do (from the moment I opened the box) to have multilang miuiandroid rom fully working without issues (and with google apps)?
p.s
Thank you for your support. Appreciate it very much!

Hi Hadron
Can you please guide us (with the brand new MI2 from the box) Step by step how to install the miuiandroid rom
I know this is the guide, but we do not understand that partitions thing...
What exactly should I do (from the moment I opened the box) to have multilang miuiandroid rom fully working without issues (and with google apps)?
p.s
Thank you for your support. Appreciate it very much!

Hello Medina,

it does not necessarily make a difference to WHICH partition you install the MIUIAndroid Rom. What Hadron was trying to say is, that there MIGHT be errors with the unaltered partition once you've installed MIUIAndroid to one because BOTH partitions use the same Userdata / Apps.

Furthermore, the Original Rom is odexed whereas the MIUIAndroid Rom is deodexed, this might be causing the problems.

Anyways, long story short: You are only using one partition anyways, the other one is left untouched / as a recovery method.

Step 1:

Download necessary / wanted software
- MIUIAndroid 2.12.28 for Xiaomi MI2: http://files.miuiandroid.com/2.12.28/miuiandroid_aries_jb-2.12.28.zip
- GApps for 2.12.28 JB: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
- Language Pack for 2.12.28 MI2: http://tinyw.in/uF7e

Step 2:

Preparing your MI2
Make sure your MI2 is charged, turned on, switched to English language and connect it to your PC using the supplied USB cable.
It should come up as a portable Media device.

Open it using explorer - You should now see all the folders (DCIM, MIUI etc), this is called the "Root".

Copy all ZIP-Files (MIUIAndroid Rom, GApps, Language Pack) from your PC to the MI2 in the "Root".

Step 3:

Flashing the ROM
Disconnect the MI2, look for the "Updater" App on your phone. Click it, it will scan for new software and probably say that you've got
a) The most recent version or
b) That a newer version is available

If option b) occurs, select "cancel", because you don't want to upgrade the original software for now.

In the updater screen, it shows the big MIUI logo on top and tells you the MIUI Version below.

Now press the bottom left key on your MI2, this opens a Menu. Choose "Select Installation Pack".

The next screen shows you the contents of your "Harddrive", so to say. scroll down to the bottom until you find the file

miuiandroid_aries_jb.2.12.28.zip

and click this. After that, you have to click the green "Update now" button bottom right.

The system will ask if you'd like to do a backup, but since your phone is left untouched so far, you can skip the backup.

Your update will now be applied, as shown on the status bar. After the update is finished, your phone has to be rebooted.

Once the reboot is complete (which might take a while) you repeat step 3 TWO more times, each time using the next ZIP-File on your Device (GApps first, Language pack last).

So in total, your system should have been rebooted THREE times.

After this process is through, you should have a complete and working MIUIAndroid Rom on your MI2.

~ Klotzi

Reactions: Danielk and hadron
Hello Medina,

it does not necessarily make a difference to WHICH partition you install the MIUIAndroid Rom. What Hadron was trying to say is, that there MIGHT be errors with the unaltered partition once you've installed MIUIAndroid to one because BOTH partitions use the same Userdata / Apps.

Furthermore, the Original Rom is odexed whereas the MIUIAndroid Rom is deodexed, this might be causing the problems.

Anyways, long story short: You are only using one partition anyways, the other one is left untouched / as a recovery method.

Step 1:

Download necessary / wanted software
- MIUIAndroid 2.12.28 for Xiaomi MI2: http://files.miuiandroid.com/2.12.28/miuiandroid_aries_jb-2.12.28.zip
- GApps for 2.12.28 JB: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
- Language Pack for 2.12.28 MI2: http://tinyw.in/uF7e

Step 2:

Preparing your MI2
Make sure your MI2 is charged, turned on, switched to English language and connect it to your PC using the supplied USB cable.
It should come up as a portable Media device.

Open it using explorer - You should now see all the folders (DCIM, MIUI etc), this is called the "Root".

Copy all ZIP-Files (MIUIAndroid Rom, GApps, Language Pack) from your PC to the MI2 in the "Root".

Step 3:

Flashing the ROM
Disconnect the MI2, look for the "Updater" App on your phone. Click it, it will scan for new software and probably say that you've got
a) The most recent version or
b) That a newer version is available

If option b) occurs, select "cancel", because you don't want to upgrade the original software for now.

In the updater screen, it shows the big MIUI logo on top and tells you the MIUI Version below.

Now press the bottom left key on your MI2, this opens a Menu. Choose "Select Installation Pack".

The next screen shows you the contents of your "Harddrive", so to say. scroll down to the bottom until you find the file

miuiandroid_aries_jb.2.12.28.zip

and click this. After that, you have to click the green "Update now" button bottom right.

The system will ask if you'd like to do a backup, but since your phone is left untouched so far, you can skip the backup.

Your update will now be applied, as shown on the status bar. After the update is finished, your phone has to be rebooted.

Once the reboot is complete (which might take a while) you repeat step 3 TWO more times, each time using the next ZIP-File on your Device (GApps first, Language pack last).

So in total, your system should have been rebooted THREE times.

After this process is through, you should have a complete and working MIUIAndroid Rom on your MI2.

~ Klotzi

Yes Klotzi, but:
two posts before Hadron said that "this forums ROM then it should already have the google apps (and its only true for mi2).".
So, do we have to install Gapps separately as you suggest or are they pre-included in the ROM according to Hadron?
Thanks