A simple update guide for xiaomi M2

Yes Klotzi, but:
two posts before Hadron said that "this forums ROM then it should already have the google apps (and its only true for mi2).".
So, do we have to install Gapps separately as you suggest or are they pre-included in the ROM according to Hadron?
Thanks

The MIUIAndroid Rom should include PlayStore and Gmail. It definitely includes the PlayStore, so, the installation of the GApps is NOT mandatory.

You can simply install the MIUIAndroid Rom and whatever GApps you need through the PlayStore.

The MIUIAndroid Rom should include PlayStore and Gmail. It definitely includes the PlayStore, so, the installation of the GApps is NOT mandatory.

You can simply install the MIUIAndroid Rom and whatever GApps you need through the PlayStore.

Great, thanks for your clarification!
I think that the installation of Gapps is mandatory or even unnecessary is an important piece of information which should be given as clearly as possible already in the first post. I know, it has been mentioned here and there but not as clearly as now.

Klotzi, I'm your biggest fan! Thanks!
So if I understand correctly, everything I want to flash
I need to do this through the "Updater"
For example:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1818442&highlight=xperia keyboard
If I want to install this Xperia keyboard, instead of reboot into recovery and flash the zip file
Here I am doing it through the "Updater" Right?

Please do NOT confuse MIUI with a simple ICS / JB ROM.

The aforementioned keyboard will most probably NOT work with MIUI on a MI2 since it was created for ICS / JB Android.

Most custom APKs have to be installed using CWM (Clockwork Recovery Mod) which is NOT available for the MI2 yet.

~ Klotzi

The aforementioned keyboard will most probably NOT work with MIUI on a MI2 since it was created for ICS / JB Android.
Currently I'm using .28 with the Xperia S ICS Keyboard after trying out the 4.2 AOSP KB. Love it :) But flashing it with recovery did not work. I've extracted the zip using root explorer, then I've put the files in there into the corresponding folders and set permissions like hadron showed for 4.2 camera.

From what I know: Using the updater always patches the system partion which is not active ATM. You need to boot into the other partition for patching the one you want to use. Of course as I'm new to MIUI, this is just an educated guess :)

Currently I'm using .28 with the Xperia S ICS Keyboard after trying out the 4.2 AOSP KB. Love it :) But flashing it with recovery did not work. I've extracted the zip using root explorer, then I've put the files in there into the corresponding folders and set permissions like hadron showed for 4.2 camera.

From what I know: Using the updater always patches the system partion which is not active ATM. You need to boot into the other partition for patching the one you want to use. Of course as I'm new to MIUI, this is just an educated guess :)

So are you now using Xperia S ICS Keyboard? without any problems?

Yes, he is, but using a bastardized install, I would not recommend this.

If youre not happy with the stuff the MI2 offers, why did you buy it in the first place? ;)

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk 2

Great, thanks for your clarification!
I think that the installation of Gapps is mandatory or even unnecessary is an important piece of information which should be given as clearly as possible already in the first post. I know, it has been mentioned here and there but not as clearly as now.
I already included this information in the Note section and in Blue color for both methods. I guess you just missed it.

If youre not happy with the stuff the MI2 offers, why did you buy it in the first place?

IMHO buying an android phone, no matter which brand or preinstalled customisation, means being able to change stuff. Even up to bricking your phone. Thats the freedom you won't get with Apple products. Freedom is nothing meant to be justified ;) For the MI2 - coming prerooted it even offers more freedom than most other Android phones. Good reason, isn't it?

Concerning the Xperia S Keyboard - I'm giving a short but complete guide what I did. It does not contain more hazards than installing PhotoSphere:

Use the files and follow the guide for manual install in the first post here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1818442

You can even rename the filename of the textinput if the file already exists (like textinput-tng.apk to textinput-tng2.apk

After copying the files, change permissions of those copied to system/app and system/lib to those shown by hadron here: http://miuiandroid.com/community/threads/photoshere-jlb-4-2-camera-for-mi-2.18989/

reboot, enjoy :)

Reactions: KlotziDotCom
Hello guys can someone help me out I have updated my Mi2 successfully, but when updating language file I on my phone only shows MI2 logo and doesn't boot any more.

I went to update app and selected the file miuiandroid_lang_aries-2.10.26.zip ohhhh my God! I think I rewrote the update MIUI ROM 3.1.11 to miuiandroid_lang_aries-2.10.26.zip isn't it?

I followed this instruction for language file (http://goo.im/devs/ibotpeaches/miui...lti_lang/miuiandroid_lang_aries-2.10.26.zip)s:

1. First install the latest ROM for mi 2 from this forum. Then install the multi Lang pack with out wiping any data. Follow the first post then if you have problems ask here.
2 it's already rooted. So no need.
hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Hey, got a very noobish question here. Do I need a clean Xiaomi MI 2? Because I am still running the stock ROM, but I already installed various games, tools, e-mail apps, skype.. etc. Do I need to remove all those things?

EDIT: going to use the Updater app.

Hey, got a very noobish question here. Do I need a clean Xiaomi MI 2? Because I am still running the stock ROM, but I already installed various games, tools, e-mail apps, skype.. etc. Do I need to remove all those things?

Since you're not wiping, no.

A regular update will keep all your settings and apps.

Reactions: Staalborstel

Make the backup as precaution using miui backup app. But you don't need to CLEAN it. Just install the new rom.

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Reactions: Staalborstel
Hi, everything went well. Reboot took very long though, scared me a bit. I just used the updater app to install the ROM.

- Staalborstel

Hi, everything went well. Reboot took very long though, scared me a bit. I just used the updater app to install the ROM.

- Staalborstel
So, you mean that you installed the MIUIAndroid ROM over the Chinese Stock ROM without losing your settings and without having to install all apps again. Is that right? And: how long do you mean you had to wait after the first boot?
Thanks again for your infos!

Hey, I didn't install it over the stock ROM. As you might know this phone has two partitions, when using the updater app it will always install to the partition that you are NOT using at that moment.

So right now I have two ROMs installed, even though the Chinese one is probably not functioning anymore.

As an answer to your other question - yes I kept all of my apps and settings. There were a few bugs at first, but this was resolved by a simple reboot.

Edit: the reboot just took very long, which scared me a bit.

- Staalborstel

Hey, I didn't install it over the stock ROM. As you might know this phone has two partitions, when using the updater app it will always install to the partition that you are NOT using at that moment.

So right now I have two ROMs installed, even though the Chinese one is probably not functioning anymore.

As an answer to your other question - yes I kept all of my apps and settings. There were a few bugs at first, but this was resolved by a simple reboot.

Edit: the reboot just took very long, which scared me a bit.

- Staalborstel
Thanks again for your reply man.
If I may ask again, what kind of bugs do you mean?
And: can you please confirm that the Google Location Services function properly with this ROM without having to make any additional changes?

Some apps refused to connect to the internet, a few crashed. But as I mentioned before all this was solved by rebooting :). Location services are working fine with google maps.

Hello Medina,

it does not necessarily make a difference to WHICH partition you install the MIUIAndroid Rom. What Hadron was trying to say is, that there MIGHT be errors with the unaltered partition once you've installed MIUIAndroid to one because BOTH partitions use the same Userdata / Apps.

Furthermore, the Original Rom is odexed whereas the MIUIAndroid Rom is deodexed, this might be causing the problems.

Anyways, long story short: You are only using one partition anyways, the other one is left untouched / as a recovery method.

Step 1:

Download necessary / wanted software
- MIUIAndroid 2.12.28 for Xiaomi MI2: http://files.miuiandroid.com/2.12.28/miuiandroid_aries_jb-2.12.28.zip
- GApps for 2.12.28 JB: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
- Language Pack for 2.12.28 MI2: http://tinyw.in/uF7e

Step 2:

Preparing your MI2
Make sure your MI2 is charged, turned on, switched to English language and connect it to your PC using the supplied USB cable.
It should come up as a portable Media device.

Open it using explorer - You should now see all the folders (DCIM, MIUI etc), this is called the "Root".

Copy all ZIP-Files (MIUIAndroid Rom, GApps, Language Pack) from your PC to the MI2 in the "Root".

Step 3:

Flashing the ROM
Disconnect the MI2, look for the "Updater" App on your phone. Click it, it will scan for new software and probably say that you've got
a) The most recent version or
b) That a newer version is available

If option b) occurs, select "cancel", because you don't want to upgrade the original software for now.

In the updater screen, it shows the big MIUI logo on top and tells you the MIUI Version below.

Now press the bottom left key on your MI2, this opens a Menu. Choose "Select Installation Pack".

The next screen shows you the contents of your "Harddrive", so to say. scroll down to the bottom until you find the file

miuiandroid_aries_jb.2.12.28.zip

and click this. After that, you have to click the green "Update now" button bottom right.

The system will ask if you'd like to do a backup, but since your phone is left untouched so far, you can skip the backup.

Your update will now be applied, as shown on the status bar. After the update is finished, your phone has to be rebooted.

Once the reboot is complete (which might take a while) you repeat step 3 TWO more times, each time using the next ZIP-File on your Device (GApps first, Language pack last).

So in total, your system should have been rebooted THREE times.

After this process is through, you should have a complete and working MIUIAndroid Rom on your MI2.

~ Klotzi

Ok, I read this thread and your guide with great interest but there is something I don't understand...
I'm on system 2 like default, I use App Updater to flash on system 1 then system reboot where? On system 1 (where I just flash the rom), or back to system 2?