Android 2GB file size limit

tommmyyy

Members
Aug 21, 2014
I have tried copying an .mkv movie file to MiPad (rom, not microsd) but apparently there is 2GB file size limit on Android!? Therefore I cannot copy any file larger than 2GB. Is there any workaround that does not include USB OTG and external usb/drive or streaming via dropbox, etc.? It is really a deal breaker for me as I was looking to copy my favourite movies and tv shows most of which are 6-7 GB in size (per file). Is it possible to format microSD card as NTFS?

Eh? I have been able to transfer files up to 7GB without issues to the mipad? Both by usb as by wifi...

Have you tried transfering a single file larger than 2GB? You can transfer as many small files as you want but the issue is when a single file is larger (for exampe a 1080 mkv movie).

Yeah, single file of 3.5GB to 7GB sizes... I'll give it another try later one, was with a developer rom from 3 weeks ago but had no issues then.

Most likely you are copying the file in a fat16 partition. If the destinati in is an SD card, try formatting it in fat32 or ext type.