[buy] Camera module for Mi2

5ulo

Members
May 25, 2012
My camera module is broken (macro focusing isn't working) so I'm looking for a new one. Where to buy? Thanks

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk

My display isn't also the same as in new Mi2 so it cannot be worse with the camera. Let you know :)

do you think it's possible to replace the mi2s 32gb camera with the mi2 one?? I mean it's a better camera even if it's "only" 8 mpx.

I saw there 13mpx camera for mi2s 32g too.. It was around $35

Thank you for the answers, it's difficult to replace the camera module?? I think you'll lose the warranty right??

Camera is connected the same way like the display so it is very easy. You will lose your warranty. The second option is sending your phone back to your seller.

The 8 mpx imx175 from mi2s 16 mpx works on mi2s 32gb
I can't find info about the camera sensor, where did you find/buy it?
Another question: how can I discover the sensor that I'm using now, I have to open it or there are some apps or something like that??

I just tried to teplace the 13mp sensor on my mi2s with the 8mp one from aliexpress, but the image stays unfocussed. Either the focussing motor of the 8mp sensor module is faulty (I can hear it trying to focus but nothing changes on the screen), or the actual lens in the 32gb mi2s is incompatible with the 8mp sensor.

You mean the camera for the mi2 (not the mi2s 16gb) ?? Because i also wanted to make the same operation...

I just tried to teplace the 13mp sensor on my mi2s with the 8mp one from aliexpress, but the image stays unfocussed. Either the focussing motor of the 8mp sensor module is faulty (I can hear it trying to focus but nothing changes on the screen), or the actual lens in the 32gb mi2s is incompatible with the 8mp sensor.

Check the little rubber cap on the camera module when you reclose the device.
8mpx for mi2s works flawlessly on 32gb

Check the position. It has to be left ON the camera module while you are closing the device, NOT left inside the plastic lens box.

If is badly positioned, lens are not able to reach the "motor focused" position

It's not the rubber cap. Installed and re-installed several times. 8mp module will not focus. 13mp module works fine. I even cleaned the 8mp module's lens to rule out a dirty lens. Seems I got a dud.

My new Mi2S has a black spot on the back camera (a spot visible both on the picture taken and on the camera preview), but the external glass is clean with absolutely no signs or scratches. The spot is visible when capturing bright pictures like an unfocused grain of dust on the glass of the camera. As far as you know, can it be a grain of dust between the lens or a sensor fault?
In that case, can the lens be easily cleaned or it's a 'risky' work? does it invalid the warranty? (I never disassembled this phone..)

Yes it could be a speck of dust on the lens of the module. It is really easy to open the phone, unscrew all screws, carefully pry apart the case, done. This will void your warranty.

Reactions: guari
Yes it could be a speck of dust on the lens of the module. It is really easy to open the phone, unscrew all screws, carefully pry apart the case, done. This will void your warranty.
ok, thanks! I found also a couple of mi2/mi2s disassembling video on youtube, if I manage to wait I'll try to open the phone as soon as the warranty expires (it is new, I bought it few days ago..)
In the case it should be a problem of the lens module, is that module sold separatly or it is embedded in camera module?

It's a separate unit that attaches to the main board via a flat cable. It detaches very easily. Both the 8mp and 13mp modules are available on aliexpress for 21 usd and 35 usd respectively.

Reactions: guari
Update!

I notified the seller of my experience with the module. He then advised me to try to manually adjust the focus by carefully turning the lens with a pair of pliers... While the telephone was turned on, with running camera app.... I spent the past hour in frustration trying to do as I was told, carefully trying not to destroy the module in the process. I kind of lost hope already because no matter which way I turned the lens it just would not focus, when all of a sudden it finally managed to do just that!

But still focussing was spotty at best. Sometimes the lens focused, sometimes not. Looking closer it was evident that part of the copper ring surrounding the lens was bent slightly upward, probably impairing free movement of the lens. I managed to bend it back slightly, and that seems to have done the trick. Yay for me! :)

Was all of this worth the hassle? For me the answer is a clear yes, provided the module continues to work. Low light pictures are much better with the 8mp module. Shocking really.

Last edited:
My new Mi2S has a black spot on the back camera (a spot visible both on the picture taken and on the camera preview), but the external glass is clean with absolutely no signs or scratches. The spot is visible when capturing bright pictures like an unfocused grain of dust on the glass of the camera. As far as you know, can it be a grain of dust between the lens or a sensor fault?
In that case, can the lens be easily cleaned or it's a 'risky' work? does it invalid the warranty? (I never disassembled this phone..)
That's awesome man ;) I'll do it myself when I'll have the courage to open the phone...