Invalid Cannot search apps from home

Status
Not open for further replies.

palexdev

Members
Jan 21, 2021
The issue has been there for several versions now. Before I was able to search for installed apps with the Google search bar at the bottom of the home screen.
I cannot anymore, the only way is to use the Xiaomi search bar.
Am I being forced to use Xiaomi software?

My device is Poco F2 Pro by the way.

I've no idea what you're talking about.
I just tried that on Mi 5 (MIUI 11), Mi 8 (Stable) and Mi 10 (Weekly), can't search for installed apps using the Google app on any of them.

that's how it worked.
Google Search also searched for installed applications. Google may have removed it

Exactly
I doubt Google removed it, I think it's a bug introduced by Xiaomi.eu
Actually, I did some testing with the latest app version 12.18.10.
1. I cleared the app's data completely and disabled WiFi (no SIM in the device).
2. I opened the app and immediately searched for "s" - installed apps are showing fine.
3. I re-enabled WiFi and searched "s" again - installed apps are still showing fine.
4. I force-closed the Google app and reopened it (with WiFi enabled) - online search results now cover the whole list and no installed apps.
5. I force-closed the Google app again and reopened it - installed apps are showing again.

So unless you have something smart or useful to say, sometimes it's better to keep your opinions to yourself.
This issue has zero to do with us. Google app has erratic behavior.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-15-00-37-37-247_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-15-00-37-37-247_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 603
  • Screenshot_2021-05-15-00-37-55-749_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-15-00-37-55-749_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 578
  • Screenshot_2021-05-15-00-38-24-783_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-15-00-38-24-783_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 646
Reactions: JiaiJ
For people having the same issue I found the solution.
I tested the functionality in other launchers such as: Poco Launcher, Nova Launcher, Smart Launcher, and it was working.
I tested it again with MIUI Launcher, several times, cleaning data, changing versions but nothing worked.
The issue is the "already included" search bar. If you add the Google Search Bar as a widget it will work.
So, like I said, it's a MIUI issue. Next time Igor be more useful but most importantly more polite, thanks.

The fix in the end is, disable the search bar in the launcher' settings, add the search bar as a widget.

Reactions: stetor
For people having the same issue I found the solution.
I tested the functionality in other launchers such as: Poco Launcher, Nova Launcher, Smart Launcher, and it was working.
I tested it again with MIUI Launcher, several times, cleaning data, changing versions but nothing worked.
The issue is the "already included" search bar. If you add the Google Search Bar as a widget it will work.
So, like I said, it's a MIUI issue. Next time Igor be more useful but most importantly more polite, thanks.

The fix in the end is, disable the search bar in the launcher' settings, add the search bar as a widget.
The hell are you mumbo-jumboing about? You don't need any search bar to search for installed apps on the Google app. You can simply open the Google app from the launcher icon. Is the launcher icon also broken? Any other wise remarks?

I'm talking about this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I don't understand why it behaves like this

Reactions: stetor
I'm talking about this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I don't understand why it behaves like this
I doesn't matter how you open the search results page. The same page is shown when you open the Google app using the launcher icon and type something in the search field. Either way, installed apps should be shown.
Here I disabled network and cleared app data for Google app, then launched it using the Google search bar in the launcher...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-01-06-813_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-01-06-813_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 303
I did the same, over and over again but still, it works using the widget but doesn't work from launcher bar or Google app

I did the same, over and over again but still, it works using the widget but doesn't work from launcher bar or Google app
Hence the Google app is none of our business, report the bug to Google and let them investigate the inconsistent behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.