Chinese Input / IME?

gaorui

Members
May 11, 2011
Hi guys, britfag reporting in,

I live in China, but I am a native British English speaking ex-pat. I used to use LeeDroid but since I've heard of MIUI, I took the plunge and it seems like a fantastic ROM.

However, I find it quite ironic that being a Chinese developed ROM, after installing the English language pack, I'm left with only the default Android Keyboard in English to play with.

This presents a problem for me, as I often send messages using Chinese.

The "touch input" built into froyo / gingerbread sense roms allows several different methods of inputting Chinese including handwriting, pinyin, zhuyin amongst others. Also with this, I can swap with 1 key press from English -> handwriting chinese -> pinyin -> english cyclicly.

Why would you remove the Chinese input or other input methods from the ROM? Is there anyway to retrieve the Chinese keyboard from the ROM and save it? Are there any skilled developers out there?

What are my alternatives / choices?

Thanks,

G

Mmm, It's Latin chars only. Anybody? I managed to get hold of the HTC IME, but no dice with the Chinese.

Sent from my HTC Desire using the miui-dev.com Forums App

I too would be interested in getting Chinese IME (specifically Pinyin for TC) on MIUI. It doesn't make sense to me why a ROM developed by Chinese would lack Chinese IME...

---

Update: Actually I found a solution. Go to the Market and download the free MultiLang Keyboard. Then within the app you can download plug-ins (free) for all the languages you want. For Chinese, there is all sort of IME including Pinyin of course.

Good luck!

nope, I don't want to have to long press to use a pinyin keyboard and then long press to use my normal english keyboard. Until google find a way to single key swap IMEs (and this is one place iPhone got it right) then I'm not using another IME engine (plus, Sogou is much better). I want what I have on normal sense roms. handwriting, english, and pinyin, that I can swap with a single button press. It happens in the sense roms, why not in a ROM WRITTEN BY FUGGING CHINESE PEOPLE! WAH!

不喜欢MIUIROM.

P.S. multiling keyboard seems to have made a reasonable attempt at this, however - the webpage you need to download the chinese dictionarys from is ironically blocked in China, so you'll need a VPN. Thanks for the suggetions WeiLi. Kudos.