Chinese Mi8 and Google Pay contactless?

rafalmag

Members
Nov 7, 2018
As this is my first post on this forum - hello everyone. I want to apologize in advance for newbie questions, but I am a bit confused .

I plan to buy Mi8 from China. Different shops / sellers sell Chinese versions with global roms Or just "global" versions, but with bootloader unlocked. What does it mean / implies? I am not sure for what version should I seek or avoid.

Does bootloader should be locked (safer?) or unlocked (easier to flash new roms?) ?
Does it impact the Google Play application availability?

Would I be able to use Google Pay contactless payments with unlocked bootloader?
Can I install TWRP and custom rom?
Regarding Anti-Rollback - will I be able to restore official global rom?

After buying the phone I would like to flash xiaomi.eu. Does it support Google Pay contactless payments?

Yes, unlocked Bootloader and root do not prevent you from using payment or Banking apps, regards.

Sent from my MI 8 Explorer Edition using Tapatalk

Reactions: rafalmag
So chineese phones with global roms are actually prefered as they have unlocked bootloaders already? If I would order a true global one I could still install xiaomi.eu but I would be forced to wait 150h for bootloader unlock?

All the phones come with a locked bootloader, unless the reseller has unlocked it and flashed a different ROM before shipping it to you.
I have two CN units, I had to wait to unlock the bootloader.

The only difference is that, if your phone came with a China ROM you can't flash an official Global ROM and re-lock the bootloader (and vice versa).
That makes no difference in reality, as the xiaomi.eu ROM is more functional than any of the official ROMs anyway.

I'm currently using xiaomi.eu ROM and this is the only way to make Google Pay works without rooting my device, I don't want to root my device as now many apps are now detecting root and stop themself running on the root device, they also update regularly to improve their root detection. for instance Oral B toothbrush app does that.

Reactions: rafalmag
I think i made my vid for this thread

I'm getting old, sorry for double posting!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my MI 8 Explorer Edition using Tapatalk