[dev] Opensource (multiboot) Bootloader: Efidroid (formerly Grub4android)

Woza made a suggestion of rotating that icon to look like a flat G from GRUB. How about that. I think it's cool and easy to do this, and if you want, post it to check how it looks like
It would look like this...

Attachments

• G4A_icon_flat3.png
    G4A_icon_flat3.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 341
Reactions: Beyaz and Redbean
If I build Grub4Android on my local machine, will it work if I flash it?
Just the basics, I'm not using TDB
Want to see this in action :)

@redmaner lol TDB this s**t will be so deprecated :D
but yes everything except multiboot will work.

The only thing you have to take care of (if you install GRUB instead of sideloading it),
is that these files have to be in /sdcard/boot/grub (/mnt/media_rw/sdcard0 if u do this from Android)
and all the files must be owned by root and have 644 permissions for security reasons.
Otherwise LK denies booting GRUB(this won't brick your device though).

Reactions: redmaner
@redmaner lol TDB this s**t will be so deprecated :D
but yes everything except multiboot will work.

The only thing you have to take care of (if you install GRUB instead of sideloading it),
is that these files have to be in /sdcard/boot/grub (/mnt/media_rw/sdcard0 if u do this from Android)
and all the files must be owned by root and have 644 permissions for security reasons.
Otherwise LK denies booting GRUB(this won't brick your device though).
Ok thanks for the info, I'm going to the give it a try.
If I get a non booting device, I assume I can flash a stock emmc_appsboot.mbm with fastboot?

Ok thanks for the info, I'm going to the give it a try.
If I get a non booting device, I assume I can flash a stock emmc_appsboot.mbm with fastboot?
fastboot==LK==emmc_appsboot.mbm
think about it ;)

but if it really fails(what it shouldn't) you still can force enter QHSUSB_DLOAD by shorting the hidden contacts and restore your phone using miflash. Also if you flash a wrong image - I mean really wrong like a boot.img or sth. else which the device doesn't understand - it will enter a special mode where your computer sees the NAND of your phone as a usb drive.

If I build Grub4Android on my local machine, will it work if I flash it?
Just the basics, I'm not using TDB
Want to see this in action :)
I can give you my aboot + boot/grub folder if you want to try it having a full working phone (without multiboot), pm or hangout me.
Do not build it cuz @M1cha is doing crazy stuffs with multboot system..

I can give you my aboot + boot/grub folder if you want to try it having a full working phone (without multiboot), pm or hangout me.
Do not build it cuz @M1cha is doing crazy stuffs with multboot system..
Thanks, but I've builded it succesfully already.

@M1cha
Just to be sure. The files (did it from android) should be /mnt/media_rw/sdcard0/boot/grub/*
I did permissions and ownership (from android terminal)
chown root:root /mnt/media_rw/sdcard0/boot
chmod -R 644 /mnt/media_rw/sdcard0/boot

@M1cha
Just to be sure. The files (did it from android) should be /mnt/media_rw/sdcard0/boot/grub/*
It's not about a build. If u want to install it u need a specific revision. Let me give u the files u need

@linuxx building is ok. multiboot isn't enabled for the default grub.cfg anyway.

@M1cha
yep that's just fine

Reactions: linuxx
You, sir, are a gift from the sky. The thought of having GRUB on my Mi2S is a breath of oxygen, and the only thing that keeps me from inserting the phone into a Tokamak. As if having my recovery overwriten with that joke of MiRecovery with every boot wasn't bad enough, Xiaomi decided to keep me from installing a custom recovery at all. I really need a bootloader that doesn't decide on its own what to do with my terminal.

I don't want to bother you, but I wasn't able to understand where the prject is right now. Is g4a fully working right now? Is it unstable and experimental? Is it possible to install it only through complex procedures, or is GrubInstaller available?