Gapps free Xiaomi.eu Rom?

deebee

Members
Dec 4, 2013
Is there any way to remove gapps from rom before flashing?

I mostly use the built-in apps from Xiaomi and possibly some random app that I can fetch from apkmirror or f-droid

Like your sense of humor, my friend. ) Thanks for quick reply.

I am sure you've understood my intentions. A ROM without bindings, neither to Google nor to Xiaomi, would be perfect. Would like to see an AOSP like ROM.
Is it possible to achieve this with Xiaomi.EU version? Lack of compatibility with PlayStore is not an issue.

Like your sense of humor, my friend. ) Thanks for quick reply.

I am sure you've understood my intentions. A ROM without bindings, neither to Google nor to Xiaomi, would be perfect. Would like to see an AOSP like ROM.
Is it possible to achieve this with Xiaomi.EU version? Lack of compatibility with PlayStore is not an issue.
Answer is no... use another ROM if you don't like Google. ;)

That was harsh, Poney70. ( Really, ROM cookers used to be friendlier before...

Any luck sharing source files or so-called "kitchen"?

I think it could be possible to offer the Xiaomi.eu ROMs without all of the Google apps (just the Play Store, like the Open Gapps Pico package), but since most people also use stuff like the Google App and the Assistant, I think the team has done a good job providing these apps out of the box.
Regarding a completely de-Googled ROM... That's still a job for the custom ROMs available on XDA Developers. I understand your wish, heck I don't like Google either. The issue is that none of the ROMs that I've tried on my Mi 9 Lite can use the cameras properly (apparently it is a limitation made by Xiaomi). At the moment I'm just using the latest MIUI 12 and limiting some of the stuff that Google can take from me, and while I like the look of MIUI, I'm mostly using it for the sake of convenience (banking app, contacts syncing, purchased apps and, of course, the all-mighty WhatsApp that is somewhat mandatory). You can try de-Googleing by removing or disabling certain apps using ADB.

I think it could be possible to offer the Xiaomi.eu ROMs without all of the Google apps [...].
I have Mi 9 Pro 5G, which is less popular on XDA and also here. So, ROM wise, there is not much to choose from. At the same time I don't understand why this device is not so popular. Perhaps price..?!

[...] I think the team has done a good job providing these apps out of the box. [...]
There is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT about the professionalism and dedication of Xiaomi.eu team. I am very thankful for all their effort and work!
I used to be a rom cooker myself back in the days. I know how hard it is, especially today when everything became even more complex.

[...] You can try de-Googleing by removing or disabling certain apps using ADB.
Already did. :) That's why I came back to share my knowledge about. Of course, phone has to be unlocked.

With the help of Magisk and Apps Manager, I was able to disable all Goo gle apps. For those who would like to do the same, only advise to give is to "not uninstall" these apps.
OS is hardcoded to check on their existence. Therefore, if something is physically missing, OS will simply not boot.

Interesting fact is that many apps will "complaint" about the need for Goo gle Services, however, once notifications are disabled, these apps work just fine.

PS: in the rush to protect private data, latest ROM updates have more and more features that let the OS to "spy". One of the features for example is letting GPS module be on even when battery is low. This was not present in MIUI 11for example.

[...] Mi 9 Lite can use the cameras properly (apparently it is a limitation made by Xiaomi). At the moment I'm just using the latest MIUI 12 [...]
By the way, why not stick to the Developer ROM from Xiaome.eu?
I love it, in-spite of little bugs that come to attention once in a while.
Like for example starting with v. 21.1.7 gesture navigation is partially broken and Tasks keeps closing.
Though, I don't mind. I like being a debugger and send feedbacks that help make things better.

By the way, why not stick to the Developer ROM from Xiaome.eu?
I love it, in-spite of little bugs that come to attention once in a while.
Like for example starting with v. 21.1.7 gesture navigation is partially broken and Tasks keeps closing.
Though, I don't mind. I like being a debugger and send feedbacks that help make things better.

Oops, I've only said that I was using the latest version of MIUI, but I wanted to say that it is the latest one from this site. Since I've unlocked my bootloader, I haven't switched back to the default Global ROM; I find it lacking in features.

Now regarding the other replies that you've given: yes, maybe the phone wasn't popular because of the price. On my device at least, development for custom ROMs seemed to have come to a stop, because people want Android 11.