Google Maps Direction Beam Problem

TechJunky

Members
Feb 27, 2023
So long story short i bought a brand new Redmi Note 10 Pro and all was well until i tried to use Google maps, everything works fine except the beam that shows your direction which i need to know which way im going when using onfoot navigation. So far i tried enabling Google Location Accuracy but still no luck, resting the Network settings but still nothing and enabling every single permission i could find but nothing. The only way I can get it to see which direction I'm facing for a bit is if i delete the data of the maps. Any ideas how i could fix it because I'm getting really frustrated.

So long story short i bought a brand new Redmi Note 10 Pro and all was well until i tried to use Google maps, everything works fine except the beam that shows your direction which i need to know which way im going when using onfoot navigation. So far i tried enabling Google Location Accuracy but still no luck, resting the Network settings but still nothing and enabling every single permission i could find but nothing. The only way I can get it to see which direction I'm facing for a bit is if i delete the data of the maps. Any ideas how i could fix it because I'm getting really frustrated.
There is no fix currently -- it's been reported many times in all of the MIUI14 build threads. Use another map app such as Here Maps, Waze etc, or use the built in Xiaomi Compass app for direction relative to your location in Google Maps.

Well i somehow fixed it by clearing all data from the Google play Services.
Temporarily -- this has been tried and discussed in the main MIUI 14 threads as well. On last weeks build, a reboot or an arbitrary amount of time will render it back to the same condition. For me it worked for about 8 hours.

when clear google map data, google map direction will work.
but when google map app restart , direction is gone.

Hi, i have the same problem with Xiaomi Mi 10 (umi)

Maps is not usable like this and its really annoying.

I did not find a fix for it until now.
Always deleting Maps data before using is not a Solution.

My note 8 2021 has same issue.
I got it work by uninstalling updates for google maps.
Try this.

My note 8 2021 has same issue.
I got it work by uninstalling updates for google maps.
Try this.
Xiaomi.eu doesn't have Google Maps installed as a system app. You can only uninstall it completely. As said before clearing app data will work for a while.

There is no fix currently -- it's been reported many times in all of the MIUI14 build threads. Use another map app such as Here Maps, Waze etc, or use the built in Xiaomi Compass app for direction relative to your location in Google Maps.
Here Maps is same problem. It works for a while but then the compass is blocked.
The only thing is that you don't need to wipe data, just reboot

Here Maps is same problem. It works for a while but then the compass is blocked.
The only thing is that you don't need to wipe data, just reboot
That doesn't work on either of my F3s. Clearing map data or play services data is the only thing that does.

That doesn't work on either of my F3s. Clearing map data or play services data is the only thing that does.
Clearing map data or play services work for a short time with Google Maps. Nothing works in Google Maps in the long run of my Mi 10 and Mi 11

I found a work around that works.
Step 1: Download GBox
Step 2: Download Maps on GBox
Step 3: Enjoy
How long have you tested it for? It makes sense since it uses its own built in version of GMS.
I'll test it for a day or two to make sure it doesn't suffer the same issue as the play store version (If play services data is cleared, the play store version will work properly for me for about a day. So it's possible this version may manifest the same issue after a bit of time, but so far so good). Thanks! I'll report back.

This is an acceptable workaround. Thanks!
Yep, been working great for almost two weeks. Just had to leave the default version installed to retain maps compatibility with Android Auto. The compass issue never affected the latter. Out of curiosity I flashed Lineage20 last night and maps works properly with that on the F3.

Happy to hear, but i would still like for Xiaomi to address this issue as it already been fixed on newer devices with the same MIUI 14.

did xiaomi not mencion anything about this problem?? I think its a notorious issue and the fact it has been around for this long time feels strange to me