[GUIDE][alioth] How to install Xiaomi.eu ROM for Xiaomi Redmi K40

I'm on eu stable 12.5.2 and I want to update to 12.5.3. I've downloaded latest twrp and I've also downloaded and copy the zip stable rom on internal memory. But when I boot to twrp via pc, I can't find the zip file. Twrp probably doesn't see my internal memory?
That's bizarre..
Normally at TWRP boot you are asked for PW in order to decrypt data partition and here be able to reach the rom zip.
Nothing else than that to be done as you are on EU stable.

Hi I am now with EEA Official rom. I would like to install xiaomi.eu latest stable rom 12.5.3.0.
The correct steps to follow is these?
1. Unlock bootloader
2. Install twrp
3. Format data.
4. Transfer rom.zip to internal memory of phone.
5. flash rom
6. Reboot phone

I wonder if internal storage can see the rom or must to flash via usb otg stick?
Must format data after install new rom or before?
Must reboot to recovery in any step?

Thanks!

From Poco F3 via Tapatalk

Hello! :)

For this recent device, you can't flash TWRP via fastboot but fastboot boot TWRP. ;)

Here are my recommended steps for the first Xiaomi.eu ROM installation:

1) Boot to stock Recovery and "Wipe Data" [ Do NOT let your phone boot into system after the wipe! => Hold (ASAP) " Vol - " and " Power " buttons simultaneously in order to boot in Fastboot mode ]

2) Boot TWRP (do NOT flash TWRP)

3) Put Xiaomi.eu in internal storage and flash it

4) Reboot your device and voilà!

Last edited:
Hello :)

For this recent device, you should not "install" TWRP. Just boot TWRP via Fastboot. ;)

Here are my recommended steps:

1) Boot to stock Recovery and "Wipe Data" then directly hold " Vol - " and " Power " button simultaneously (boot in Fastboot mode)
So, no need to format data?
Thank you for reply!

Poco f3 via Tapatalk

Reactions: Poney70
Hello :)

For this recent device, you should not "install" TWRP. Just boot TWRP via Fastboot. ;)

Here are my recommended steps:

1) Boot to stock Recovery and "Wipe Data" then directly hold " Vol - " and " Power " button simultaneously (boot in Fastboot mode)

Hi, I wonder why not following the step as recommend installation step of the section in "MIUI 12 STABLE ROMS":
  • Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot boot twrp.img

May you tell the reason of DO NOT FLASH and steps to do if next update arrived?

@steelcow Hello,

If you try to flash TWRP via fastboot on recent devices, it will report this following error ' recovery_(a/b) - no such partition '. ;)

Recovery partition is no more! Recovery is now included in the "boot" partition. :)

Recent Xiaomi.eu ROMs, for these recent devices, already include the custom Recovery in "boot" partition.

Last edited:
Hi, I wonder why not following the step as recommend installation step of the section in "MIUI 12 STABLE ROMS":
  • Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot boot twrp.img

May you tell the reason of DO NOT FLASH and steps to do if next update arrived?
What device do you have? New devices has some problems and it is a little different for installing twrp and custom roms.
Many people hard bricked their devices

From Poco f3 via Tapatalk

What device do you have? New devices has some problems and it is a little different for installing twrp and custom roms.
Many people hard bricked their devices

I have Redmi K40, China version. I'm not alert to this issue, btw thanks for your question at here so that I can learn new info and avoid hard bricked my phone.

@steelcow Hello,

If you try to flash TWRP via fastboot on recent devices, it will report this following error ' not found "recovery_(a/b)" partition '. ;)

Recovery partition is no more, Recovery is now included in the "boot" partition. :)

Recent Xiaomi.eu ROMs, for these recent devices, already include the custom Recovery in "boot" partition.

Thank you for your explanation. Is it due to Android 11 thing? Because I have Mi 9T and flashed other custom rom before(now I revert back to orignal locked bootloader and system) and didn't hear about this error before.

Reactions: minotavros
@steelcow Hello,

If you try to flash TWRP via fastboot on recent devices, it will report this following error ' not found "recovery_(a/b)" partition '. ;)

Recovery partition is no more, Recovery is now included in the "boot" partition. :)

And how we do the OTA when next update is arrived? Download new rom in updater and save in internal storage, boot to recovery without flash recovery, flash the new rom zip file without format data and good to go?

And how we do the OTA when next update is arrived? Download new rom in updater and save in internal storage, boot to recovery without flash recovery, flash the new rom zip file without format data and good to go?
You can download new ROM in Updater but you need to manually boot in TWRP (hold " Vol + " and " Power " buttons simultaneously) then flash the new ROM and reboot your device. ;)

I am about to unlock bootloader in 1 hour and i want to install Eu stable rom but the current roms do not have fastboot install method so i will need to use the Alpha Twrp which concerns me. Can this version of twrp wipe and format partitions if i boot from it in the same way a recovery partition Twrp would work. And also can it flash the eu rom without issue.

I am about to unlock bootloader in 1 hour and i want to install Eu stable rom but the current roms do not have fastboot install method so i will need to use the Alpha Twrp which concerns me. Can this version of twrp wipe and format partitions if i boot from it in the same way a recovery partition Twrp would work. And also can it flash the eu rom without issue.
Of course it can flash EU ROMs without issue. If it wasn't the case, there will be fastboot ROMs. ^^

You can follow my recommended steps => https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...eu-rom-for-xiaomi-redmi-k40.60379/post-611429

Then please feedback if it worked for you or not. :)

Of course it can flash EU ROMs without issue. If it wasn't the case, there will be fastboot ROMs. ^^

You can follow my recommended steps => https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...eu-rom-for-xiaomi-redmi-k40.60379/post-611429

Then please feedback if it worked for you or not. :)

Hi, I have boot TWRP, flash the zip file and reboot to system. However now it seems stuck in recovery(TWRP) and shown No OS installed, internal storage also seems empty. How to fix it?

#Edit 1: I install twrp again using install "recovery ramdisk option" and install zip file using USB OTG. Still it doesn't boot into system.

Last edited:
Hi, I have boot TWRP, flash the zip file and reboot to system. However now it seems stuck in recovery(TWRP) and shown No OS installed, internal storage also seems empty. How to fix it?
Hello,

Flash Xiaomi.eu ROM again.

If still not working then use "Format Data" button in TWRP ("Wipe" menu).

;)

#Edit 1: I install twrp again using install "recovery ramdisk option" and install zip file using USB OTG. Still it doesn't boot into system.

#Edit 2: I use "Format Data" button in TWRP ("Wipe" Menu) and after a long time period of MIUI logo, it finally boot up. So nervous at this time-waiting process.

#Edit 2: I use "Format Data" button in TWRP ("Wipe" Menu) and after a long time period of MIUI logo, it finally boot up. So nervous at this time-waiting process.
You use "format data" after installation the rom or before?
So the twrp not see the internal storage but you must flash via usb otg stick?

You use "format data" after installation the rom or before?
So the twrp not see the internal storage but you must flash via usb otg stick?

The steps I done is :
1. Unlock bootloader
2. After phone reboot, I go to stock recovery and wipe data.
3. After phone reboot again, I boot into fastboot mode using "Vol-" and "Power" button
4. I boot the TWRP.
5. I copy xiaomi.eu V12.5.3.0 RKHCNXM zip file into the device, that time still showing internal storage and flash it via TWRP.
6. I reboot to system but stuck in Redmi Logo twice before it go to TWRP again. This time the internal storage cannot be read.
7. I flash TWRP image using USB OTG in "Settings"--->"Install Recovery Ramdisk" and reboot to recovery.
8. I install rom zip file again using USB OTG and reboot to system but end up into TWRP recovery again.
9. I use "Format Data" button in TWRP ("Wipe" Menu), now works and boot up into system after long time waiting. You will see the MIUI logo stuck for about 3 to 5 minutes if not mistaken before setup page showed up.

@Poney70 Can you tell me which step I have made is wrong?

@steelcow For the step 3 => "After phone reboot again", did your phone started to boot in system or not? If yes, that's why your internal storage was not empty in step 5. ;)

@steelcow For the step 3 => "After phone reboot again", did your phone started to boot in system or not? If yes, that's why your internal storage was not empty in step 5. ;)

Yes, it boot into system and I also forget to logout my mi account. I only able to shutdown the phone and go to fastboot mode after I login mi account.

Also may you update the correct sequence for others to refer? At least they able to fix the error by refer correct steps...

Yes, it boot into system and I also forget to logout my mi account. I only able to shutdown the phone and go to fastboot mode after I login mi account.
Don't let your phone to boot into system after "Wipe Data", that was your mistake but "Format Data" in TWRP worked for you. ;)

Don't let your phone to boot into system after "Wipe Data", that was your mistake but "Format Data" in TWRP worked for you. ;)

What if I want to factory reset through TWRP? In stock, it can be access from "Settings" app and "Wipe Data" in stock recovery.

I never used the "Factory reset" function in TWRP. I always used "Format Data" to do a clean installation/factory reset. ;)
I've never noticied that redmi k40 has A/B partitions, i've unlocked the phone and flashed the recovery phone with the latest aplha recovery and formatted data, anyway the internal memory wasn't writable, and i've picked up a USB-C pen and trasfered the rom inside it.
I'm flashing from the USB... Before i've tried to flash the stock rom with no positive result, because the flash via fastboot takes 0s, and the fastboot flash from twrp takes over 1200s going in timeout.

Finger crossed from me :D

Edit: All worked fine, but please help me to understood, if i don't have a usb-c pen how could i exit from that "dead-end"

Last edited: