HINT - Enabling VoLTE and VoWIFI on MIUI V10 roms!

LuHash

Members
Jul 23, 2018
Hello all,

Just for your awareness, there's a way to enable both VoLTE and VoWIFI on MIUI V10 roms (xiaomi.eu included!).

Use these codes in the dialer:

VoLTE *#*#86583#*#*
VoWIFI *#*#869434#*#*

I'm attaching aproof it works from the latest xiaomi.eu beta present on my Mix2s (polish carrier nju mobile/orange)

Attachments

• IMG_20190119_181736.jpg
    IMG_20190119_181736.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 4,774
Reactions: noem71 and Yurgh
For VoWIFI it requires a valid profile, for NJU on Poland f.ex. you need to be on IPv4 APN and have the app for Wifi calling installed first to activate the service

Reactions: Yurgh
That code doesn't necessarily enable VoLTE, it overrides operator VoLTE-support check, and forces it to show as supported in the settings screen.
It's a debugging/testing code and not meant to be used by end-users. We have a Hungarian user with actual VoLTE support, and it's available without any hacking.

I understand it just overrides the lock, but what's funny is that everytime I install the ROM fresh, VoLTE is enabled only till first roboot, then no VoLTE anymore (unless unlocked via this code). I'm just saying that carrier settings seems to be there and it works once the lock is turned off

That code doesn't necessarily enable VoLTE, it overrides operator VoLTE-support check, and forces it to show as supported in the settings screen.
It's a debugging/testing code and not meant to be used by end-users. We have a Hungarian user with actual VoLTE support, and it's available without any hacking.

Hi Igor Eisberg,

None Xiaomi can connect to VoLTE or WiFi Calling on brazilian carriers when using MIUI (by Xiaomi) even when ims and xcap apn were manually configured. Seems lack some profile information from MIUI side.

BUG Report

Does MIUI EU has any improvement to handle this connection issue?

Regards,

Using with Mi 9 SE Chinese ROM, VoLTE and VoWiFi is enabled using *#*#VOLTE*#*# and *#*#VOWIFI*#*# codes.
But using EU Rom, only VOLTE is available. No success with VoWiFi.
So Chinese ROM is compatible with local Vodafone GSM but EU Rom.
Anyone could say why?
EU Rom doesn't made on top of Chinese Rom?

Using with Mi 9 SE Chinese ROM, VoLTE and VoWiFi is enabled using *#*#VOLTE*#*# and *#*#VOWIFI*#*# codes.
But using EU Rom, only VOLTE is available. No success with VoWiFi.
So Chinese ROM is compatible with local Vodafone GSM but EU Rom.
Anyone could say why?
EU Rom doesn't made on top of Chinese Rom?

The EU Rom contains wrong phone app version ("com.android.phone") that isn't capable of VoWIFI.
EU Rom version crashes when trying to configure VoWIFI because of missing code. See screenshot.

Attachments

• vowifi-error.png
    vowifi-error.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,717
The EU Rom contains wrong phone app version ("com.android.phone") that isn't capable of VoWIFI.
EU Rom version crashes when trying to configure VoWIFI because of missing code. See screenshot.
EU ROMs don't contain "wrong phone app version". We keep the same app that comes with the official China ROM.
If you don't know what you're talking about, better zip it. I've zero tolerance for the spreading of false information.

If you can enable VoWifi depends on Device Type, Rom and Carrier.

Example:
On Mi 8 Global (same for Poco F1) with Xiaomi.eu Rom and Telekom-Germany as Provider, you need to Change the Profiles via Qualcom PDC Tool (Changes some Profiles inside the Modem) and enable it with the given Key Combo.
OnMi 9 with same constelation it works out of the box, as far i read in Forum.

EU ROMs don't contain "wrong phone app version". We keep the same app that comes with the official China ROM.
If you don't know what you're talking about, better zip it. I've zero tolerance for the spreading of false information.

I'm so sorry. I don't want to harm you and I regret my offending wording "wrong app". May I say "not the right app" or "under-featured app"?

But fact is that the phone app and the settings of phone configuration doesn't fit a hundred per cent, because of (at least) missing application activity "com.android.phone.settings.PreferredWifiCallListPreference" (see screenshot of MIUI bug report app). And there must exist another phone app that contains at least this activity, because other phone ROM versions are working (see above).

Appended is a screenshot of "mobile network configuration settings" of my REDMI. When trying to configure WLAN calls the phone app (com.android.phone) crashes with "ActivityNotFoundException"

Attachments

• mobile-conf.png
    mobile-conf.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,299
I'm so sorry. I don't want to harm you and I regret my offending wording "wrong app". May I say "not the right app" or "under-featured app"?

But fact is that the phone app and the settings of phone configuration doesn't fit a hundred per cent, because of (at least) missing application activity "com.android.phone.settings.PreferredWifiCallListPreference" (see screenshot of MIUI bug report app). And there must exist another phone app that contains at least this activity, because other phone ROM versions are working (see above).

Appended is a screenshot of "mobile network configuration settings" of my REDMI. When trying to configure WLAN calls the phone app (com.android.phone) crashes with "ActivityNotFoundException"
This activity exists on every ROM I checked, so I don't know what you're talking about. None of us can reproduce this error, I have no problems launching that activity.

VoLTE is not that simple to implement, operators do not want to just "turn it on" for untested devices, because then they have to take care of all the support hassle when it doesn't work correctly.

I have a new Asus Z6, which has neither VoLTE nor VoWifi "turned on".
Asus will at present not even promise that they will implement these any time soon.

A representative for Asus has answered questions about VoLTE in the Swedish forum, here is one of his posts:

"It is not that simple at all from a vendor perspective.

For official VoLTE support we need to go through Technical Assurance with each and every operator. Not only for us to "enable VoLTE" (which in itself is not that difficult) but assure that all cases are working as they should.

This involves operators doing their own testing and verification, requires us to assist in debug and field testing for the reception.

In Nordic we are so far working with Telia to enable VoLTE on Zenfone 5Z, and even just that one phone has taken both parties time to complete.

That being said, we still look for opportunities where we are able to officially enable VoLTE with local operators."

Interesting read, this thread. Igor, I've bought you a beer and would be happy to buy you more. Hopefully you can shed some light on how to get VoWifi (and VoLTE) working. I know these work on Global ROMs for the Mi 10 and Mi 10 pro in the Netherlands, probably using specific IMS settings within the ROM itself (note: I don't really know how it works, so correct me if I'm wrong :)). Is it possible to extract & use these settings to get VoWIFI (and VoLTE) to work with .EU roms - in my case for the Mi 10 Ultra (cas)?

Reactions: marcel112
Interesting read, this thread. Igor, I've bought you a beer and would be happy to buy you more. Hopefully you can shed some light on how to get VoWifi (and VoLTE) working. I know these work on Global ROMs for the Mi 10 and Mi 10 pro in the Netherlands, probably using specific IMS settings within the ROM itself (note: I don't really know how it works, so correct me if I'm wrong :)). Is it possible to extract & use these settings to get VoWIFI (and VoLTE) to work with .EU roms - in my case for the Mi 10 Ultra (cas)?
Since CarrierConfig.apk and apns-conf.xml are very similar between Global and China ROMs, the only thing that comes to mind is the baseband/modem differences that of course affect VoLTE/VoWiFi, and those can't be safely modified.

i would love to have this too in netherlands. I am on Tmobile and on android 10, stable 12.0.4.0 it works like a charm, but on every stable or weekly , thats is android 11, NoT. I tried the same things, bud without luck

VoLTE and VoWiFi working ... sitting in Germany Provider Telefonica/O2. Using Redmi Note 7 (Lavender) with latest Beta.
For me it's working like a charm. That's how i did it.