How secure is MIUI, really?

ophak102

Members
Mar 23, 2018
My phone was stolen at a bus stop yesterday. It has got a pin lock, fp lock, face unlock enabled. Its a Mi 8 lite model latest Pie official global rom, bootloader is still locked. Find device was set to on, gps enabled all the time.
When I got home I immediately logged on to i.mi.com on my pc and enable lost mode. However, when I was pressing FIND DEVICE option, I got logged out of the webpage and was unable to log in again. After a few tries, I was able to log in again but the device was already not listed on FIND DEVICE. It was gone just like that. So what I did was change all my login passwords and contact details. But I never did locate it again. But it is still listed on My Devices, with the only option is to DELETE DEVICE. Even using Google's Find My Device is not working. I searched through youtube and I see this FRP bypass options, mainly used for stolen phones. So my question is, How secure really is MIUI? I had checked my emails prior and I did not receive any phising emails. Just like that my device was removed from MIUI cloud.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-05-17-19-43-917_com.android.chrome.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-05-17-19-43-917_com.android.chrome.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 277
I really have no idea. On ios devices even if it was reset the device will still be listed on icloud and you have the option to have it on lost mode. On miui cloud i had that option but it was gone in a second. then it never appeared again.

I'm thinking that it's more than likely turned off and/or reset, that's why it's not present anywhere.
Also they way I see it - they obviously can't unlock the bootloader, and if/when they'll put a new sim in it and/or flash some dev ROM it will still get blocked at first sight of internet because it is still associated with your account. Am I wrong?
Don't stress!
Your bootloader is LOCKED? You're on OFFICIAL xiaomi rom?
This rom is Encrypted so nobody can do anything valuable with this phone.
Only to erase it all in order to flash another rom. A MIUI rom will be difficult to install because of MIUI account lock.
you can change and replace your sensitive password (eg: Google account and any other you fear they can be accessed) and forget this phone.
EDIT:
This post is not for you, sorry.
TO the OP @ophak102

Last edited:
So I checked the IMEI using IMEI checker, and it showed that the Find My Phone was really turned off. I dont know how they did it but I guess they really have a fully functioning device on their hands now.

So I checked the IMEI using IMEI checker, and it showed that the Find My Phone was really turned off. I dont know how they did it but I guess they really have a fully functioning device on their hands now.
Get the IMEI blocked with your countries carriers. Then they have a BRICK.

umm. they are obliged by LAW to do so.

Laws are country specific. What's law in one country isn't necessarily law in another country. Regarding IMEI blocking, for example in Germany only Vodafone has this option, the other providers (T-online, O2/E-plus/Telefonica) don't. I doubt that they break the law.

Laws are country specific. What's law in one country isn't necessarily law in another country. Regarding IMEI blocking, for example in Germany only Vodafone has this option, the other providers (T-online, O2/E-plus/Telefonica) don't. I doubt that they break the law.
O2 definitely CAN and DO block IMEI. Not going to get into a debate about it but Operators are obliged to provide a means to do so. It's a GSMA standard.