How To Easily Install Twrp Recovery

nicoff

Members
Oct 7, 2015

This is the fastboot mode way to install TWRP. If you already have a xiaomi.eu ROM installed you can safely flash the recovery zip via Updater app, otherwise follow these steps.

First of all, download TWRP recovery for your device from here or searching on MIUI official forum.
  1. Your phone need to be recognized by your pc, if it's not recognized please install Xiaomi USB drivers (usually included in Mi PC Suite download here).
  2. Download Android ADB and Fastboot from here or from here and install it.
  3. Rename your *.img file in recovery.img and move it to ADB folder (usually in C: drive).
  4. Boot your phone into fastboot mode pressing and holding volume down + power key and subsequently releasing power key after some seconds.
  5. Connect your Xiaomi phone to your PC with the USB cable.
  6. Search for cmd in Windows search bar and right click on it => "Run as administrator".
  7. Type in the command prompt cd C:\ADB and press Enter you will move to ADB folder (if installed in a different path please replace "C:\ADB" with your installation path, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\ADB").
  8. Type fastboot devices and press Enter just to be sure your device is correctly recognized.
  9. Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and press Enter to flash the recovery (Warning: this is permanent and will replace your Mi Recovery and you'll lose your warranty) or type fastboot boot recovery.img and press Enter if you want to use the recovery without flashing it.
  10. Type fastboot reboot and press Enter to reboot your device after the flash is complete.
  11. First time you boot in recovery you will shown a TWRP screen asking to allow modifications to system partition. Personally, I choose always Keep read only to have no issues with my ROM. If you want to know more about this visit this page.
Hkpr5bW.jpg

Warning! Since MIUI 7 Developer ROM 6.1.14 your bootloader is probably locked and you couldn't be able to install unofficial non-MIUI recovery, if you have a locked bootloader have a look at this.

Warning n° 2! If you want back the Mi Recovery (useless if you want to keep installing weekly or stable Xiaomi.eu ROM) please download your xiaomi device fastboot image from here and extract the recovery.img file, then follow the steps below to flash it.

Warning n° 3! Some Mediatek CPU Chipset devices don't support fastboot mode.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, since I have China Dev ROM, everytime MIUI boots it restores recovery to Mi Recovery ?

I just played around with installing TWRP and it seems so. I can boot or flash TWRP and it seems to work so long as I dont boot MIUI again.

If I understand correctly, since I have China Dev ROM, everytime MIUI boots it restores recovery to Mi Recovery ?

I just played around with installing TWRP and it seems so. I can boot or flash TWRP and it seems to work so long as I dont boot MIUI again.

No, I think you weren't able to install TWRP for the locked bootloader maybe.
China dev won't restore Mi Recovery each time you boot it.

I unlocked the bootloader, if It was locked I could not flash new recovery.

I'm pretty sure that it does.

I've used fastboot to boot TWRP, it works.

I can also flash it and reboot in TWRP, but If I boot MIUI after that, and try to go to recovery again via updater app or via Power+VolumeUp, I get the Mi recovery "connect USB cable" screen.

I tried flashing TWRP, booting it, from there I can reboot again into TWRP, or power off and then boot into recovery with Power+VolumeUp. But ifMIUI boots again, I lose it :)

In the end I flashed and booted TWRP, installed xiaomi.eu 6.3.3 weekly, and now I have TWRP 3.0 which came with the weekly ROM.

I'm a noob so I may be wrong :D

New Xiaomi.eu roms use/install TWRP, no more Mi Recovery.

I am talking about china DEV ROM

I unlocked the bootloader, if It was locked I could not flash new recovery.

I'm pretty sure that it does.

I've used fastboot to boot TWRP, it works.

I can also flash it and reboot in TWRP, but If I boot MIUI after that, and try to go to recovery again via updater app or via Power+VolumeUp, I get the Mi recovery "connect USB cable" screen.

I tried flashing TWRP, booting it, from there I can reboot again into TWRP, or power off and then boot into recovery with Power+VolumeUp. But ifMIUI boots again, I lose it :)

In the end I flashed and booted TWRP, installed xiaomi.eu 6.3.3 weekly, and now I have TWRP 3.0 which came with the weekly ROM.

I'm a noob so I may be wrong :D

I am talking about china DEV ROM

You need to type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img to permanently flash the recovery (read well step number 9), if you do a "fastboot boot recovery.img" you will just boot recovery without replacing the official one :)

Last edited:
You need to type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img to permanently flash the recovery (read well step number 9), if you do a "fastboot boot recovery.img" you will just boot recovery without replacing the official one :)

You can read in my post that I talk about booting and flashing separately :) I've booted it first to see if it's working, I understand that in this case if there is a problem with the recovery I can simply restart the phone.

After that I flashed it two times, because it was returning to stock recovery after booting china MIUI.

You can read in my post that I talk about booting and flashing separately :) I've booted it first to see if it's working, I understand that in this case if there is a problem with the recovery I can simply restart the phone.

After that I flashed it two times, because it was returning to stock recovery after booting china MIUI.

Ok, my bad. You were able to flash it, then?
Did you allow modifications to system when asked in TWRP welcome screen or you kept read only?
Maybe you're right and latest china versions will replace TWRP each time they boot.
Strange, because this didn't use to happen before with dev roms.

Last edited:
Ok, my bad. You were able to flash it, then?
Did you allow modifications to system when asked in TWRP welcome screen or you kept read only?
Maybe you're right and latest china versions will replace TWRP each time they boot.
Strange, because this didn't use to happen before with dev roms.
I had the same problem flashing recovery on china dev rom
What worked form we was:
1. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
2. fastboot boot recovery.img
3. in twrp mode upload recovery.img trough usb
4. in twrp install -> image -> select recovery.img -> select recovery
5. done

When booting into recovery (vol up + power) I see Chinese menu and than select recovery and twrp starts

so you had to install it again via TWRP ? that means it is somehow different from installing ( flashing ) via fastboot ?

for me it would run after just flashing it ( without your step 2 ), if you boot to recovery immediately after flashing. but the next time China Dev ROM runs, it's stock recovery again.

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk

Yes, I think that after the first reboot the recovery is restored by the boot image, so I flash the twrp on recovery and than on boot so after reboot the original recovery is not restored.

Reactions: nicoff
I also have this problem of having the MI recovery back everytime I reboot on my MI3 :(

you have to go and install the new rom after booting the new recovery.

So I install TWRP, then I install SuperSU from there, then I install the new stable ROM under 6.0 ?
Because I always had problem installing the rom, always getting some error message about the device being busy and I get some "Error 7" code

So I install TWRP, then I install SuperSU from there, then I install the new stable ROM under 6.0 ?
Because I always had problem installing the rom, always getting some error message about the device being busy and I get some "Error 7" code

Install a working TWRP, maybe en.miu.com or xda could be useful to find one, then install dev or stable xiaomi.eu version you want. Reboot to recovery and flash the suggested SuperSU version for your device.

That's where I have a problem, I always get the error 7 message saying the system couldn't be replaced (if I remember well) when installing the marshmallow version :(
I took the TWRP from xiaomi.eu so I guess it should work, anyway I'm gonna do some more tries in the week-end when I have more time, thanks for your replies guys !

I installed 2.8.7.0, then installed xiaomi.eu ROM which comes with TWRP 3.0, and then installed SuperSU

That's where I have a problem, I always get the error 7 message saying the system couldn't be replaced (if I remember well) when installing the marshmallow version :(
I took the TWRP from xiaomi.eu so I guess it should work, anyway I'm gonna do some more tries in the week-end when I have more time, thanks for your replies guys !

There are some people that say that after error 7 you should repeat the flash 3 times more and it will work. I would try to change TWRP honestly...
Sorry, I would like to help you more but never faced this error, though there are some people who could workaround this.

Last edited:
@nicoff nice guide, but I am having problems installing TWRP (and, consequently, a xiaomi.eu firmware). Specifically a week ago I got unlock authorizations for two phones, a Redmi Note 3 Pro and a Redmi Note 3. Things with Pro went perfectly, install dev version -> unlock -> flash twrp -> flash xiaomi.eu.

On the RN3 I've now spent more than 30 hours (no kidding) trying everything, but I just can't get twrp to execute. I've unlocked the RN3 succesfully, and I can root it from within the MIUI security app. I can fastboot flash the correct twrp image but when I try to enter recovery no TWRP is presented. Instead there's the black/white sketch of phone and cable.

The dev rom was 6.3.x. I also used Miflash to flash 5.12.31. Same result. A nice thing is that flashing with miflash will not relock the BL. Then, I used SP flash tools. This time, after flashing twrp and trying to enter recovery, this is what happens:
http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/...ery-on-redmi-note-3.29213/page-18#post-283342

Any idea on what to try next?

If you are talking about Mi3 or Mi4, it is necessary to do installation of dev 5.12.17 (IIRC) twice, with full wipe between them. At the end do a full wipe again, and try to install the Mi3/Mi4 MM version. See http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/stable-7-1-3-kxdcnck-to-7-2-8-0-mxdcndb.30753/page-2#post-283388