How To Easily Install Twrp Recovery

@nicoff nice guide, but I am having problems installing TWRP (and, consequently, a xiaomi.eu firmware). Specifically a week ago I got unlock authorizations for two phones, a Redmi Note 3 Pro and a Redmi Note 3. Things with Pro went perfectly, install dev version -> unlock -> flash twrp -> flash xiaomi.eu.

On the RN3 I've now spent more than 30 hours (no kidding) trying everything, but I just can't get twrp to execute. I've unlocked the RN3 succesfully, and I can root it from within the MIUI security app. I can fastboot flash the correct twrp image but when I try to enter recovery no TWRP is presented. Instead there's the black/white sketch of phone and cable.

The dev rom was 6.3.x. I also used Miflash to flash 5.12.31. Same result. A nice thing is that flashing with miflash will not relock the BL. Then, I used SP flash tools. This time, after flashing twrp and trying to enter recovery, this is what happens:
http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/...ery-on-redmi-note-3.29213/page-18#post-283342

Any idea on what to try next?

If you are talking about Mi3 or Mi4, it is necessary to do installation of dev 5.12.17 (IIRC) twice, with full wipe between them. At the end do a full wipe again, and try to install the Mi3/Mi4 MM version. See http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/stable-7-1-3-kxdcnck-to-7-2-8-0-mxdcndb.30753/page-2#post-283388

Hi, try to "fastboot boot recovery.img" and from there flash a xiaomi.eu ROM. Then try to change twrp if you don't like the one integrated in the ROM.
You could try to download a twrp recovery from xiaomi.eu (first post) and flash it vía updater, too.

Last edited:
To which recovery.img are you referring to? If it is TWRP, I have already tried to either "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" or boot directly in it with "fastboot boot twrp.img".

If you are talking about Mi3 or Mi4, it is necessary to do installation of dev 5.12.17 (IIRC) twice, with full wipe between them. At the end do a full wipe again, and try to install the Mi3/Mi4 MM version.
Worked for me, thanks :)

To which recovery.img are you referring to? If it is TWRP, I have already tried to either "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" or boot directly in it with "fastboot boot twrp.img".

Sorry, I read it just now because you don't reply me but wrote a new post so I don't get any notification.
Your Redmi Note 3 has a Mediatek Cpu? Well, in this case you can't use fastboot mode because it is not supported in some Mediatek CPU Chipsets.
You need to install it from Updater app. So I recommend you to go to first post of DEV of the week and download the flashable zip of TWRP for your phone.
Then if you want to have a different recovery with 7-zip file manager you can replace (renaming it with the same name) the recovery in the zip with your recovery and flash it in TWRP unchecking zip verification if you don't want to learn to sign the zip again (there are few programs that can do it for you, search on xda).

Reactions: thaimax
Your Redmi Note 3 has a Mediatek Cpu? Well, in this case you can't use fastboot mode because it is not supported in some Mediatek CPU Chipsets.
Even though MTK-based phones require SP flash tools, on RN3 it is recommended to flash with fastboot flash recovery.

Then if you want to have a different recovery ...
Sorry mate, you have misunderstood perhaps my issue. This is not a case of me having TWRP installed currently and wanting it replaced. The issue is that I do not have TWRP installed, that is the problem. I am trying everything to install, I even seem to flash succesfully. After turning off the phone and pressing Vol+ and power to enter recovery, this is what happens: https://mega.nz/#!mU80UYYQ!b2beqUi1xTxH45zwu2QwiLPk_XrUPoQBwpqPIg7_nE4

Even though MTK-based phones require SP flash tools, on RN3 it is recommended to flash with fastboot flash recovery.

Sorry mate, you have misunderstood perhaps my issue. This is not a case of me having TWRP installed currently and wanting it replaced. The issue is that I do not have TWRP installed, that is the problem. I am trying everything to install, I even seem to flash succesfully. After turning off the phone and pressing Vol+ and power to enter recovery, this is what happens: https://mega.nz/#!mU80UYYQ!b2beqUi1xTxH45zwu2QwiLPk_XrUPoQBwpqPIg7_nE4

And if you go to Updater app and "Reboot to recovery"?
It's like recovery has been totally erased.

Try this http://en.miui.com/thread-208503-1-1.html

Last edited:
@nicoff tried both, same result :(

I'm sorry. You're using a hennessy Rom and TWRP (sorry if it is a dumb question, I just want to exclude things)?
Have you tried fastboot oem edl and then fastboot boot recovery.img ?

Last edited:
Have you tried fastboot oem edl and then fastboot boot recovery.img ?
Are you sure about these? I thought that fastboot oem edl was for qualcomm/snapdragon phones and not for the MTK-based ones, like this RN3...

Are you sure about these? I thought that fastboot oem edl was for qualcomm/snapdragon phones and not for the MTK-based ones, like this RN3...

I'm not sure because I've never had a Mediatek device but I read it in a RN3 thread in en.miui.com.
I guess you should flash via Mi flash an official dev rom and do all from scratch because it's clear your device system is pretty corrupted right now.
And I guess you should check if your device is an original xiaomi device and not a fake, because there's plenty of people with fake Xiaomi devices.
Exclude all..

Definitely an original RN3, which operates just fine with any other way. Except TWRP...

As for the instructions you are citing, they are (IIRC) for Qualcomm processors. But thank you for taking the time and trying to help!

Hello.
Very good guide, but I have a problem with flashing TWRP my redmi Note 3 Snapdragon pro.
I do everything according to the handbook, but I do not have to filnale TWPR?
Posted scrennshot coincides with my after following the steps in this guide, one difference is sending 'recovery' - here I have less value KB after that, all the same.
I unlocked bootloadrer, I'm ROM China Dev kenzo_images_6.3.31.
I would like to zainstlować rom xiaomi.eu_multi_kenzo_6.3.31_v7-5.1 but I can not przebronąć by the installation TWPR?
Please help in this topic.
Thank you.

Attachments

• bootloader unlock - true.png
    bootloader unlock - true.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 503
@Rafaello sorry mate but I do not understand what you are trying to say here...

@nicoff has anyone looked into the cofface TWRP port? This is for RN3 (also for Redmi 3, IIRC): http://www.miui.com/thread-3941604-1-1.html

Sorry, I don't understand both of you, please try to explain your issue in a comprehensible english. By the way cofface is a reliable developer and you could try his TWRP. You can change default language to english easily.

Hello.
Very good guide, but I have a problem with flashing TWRP my redmi Note 3 Snapdragon pro.
I do everything according to the handbook, but I do not have to filnale TWPR?
Posted scrennshot coincides with my after following the steps in this guide, one difference is sending 'recovery' - here I have less value KB after that, all the same.
I unlocked bootloadrer, I'm ROM China Dev kenzo_images_6.3.31.
I would like to zainstlować rom xiaomi.eu_multi_kenzo_6.3.31_v7-5.1 but I can not przebronąć by the installation TWPR?
Please help in this topic.
Thank you.

Hi, if you do fastboot boot recovery.img . Recovery will boot after this command? If yes, in the Welcome Screen swipe to "Allow Modifications".

please try to explain your issue in a comprehensible english.

TBH, I thought I did: "look into" is a well known expression, whereas IIRC ("if i recall correctly") is one of the oldest abbreviations, as old as"LOL" :)

I tried the cofface build, same failure. It seems I'll have to fastboot flash with SP flash tools, as a final experiment, before giving up on on TWRP and sending the phone back...

New with TWRP and have problems getting it running.
Got my unlock code today and unlocking seemed to go ok.

For TWRP I used the twrp_aqua.img file (renamed to recovery.img)
Used fastboot flash recovery recovery.img. Got OKAY twice but no reboot and no start of TWRP.
However after I used fastboot boot recovery.img, it will start in TWRP (once)

I have 2 issue''s:
1) What to do to flash it correctly?
2) TWRP is completely chinese. I guess this is the aqua file. What can I do about it?

Any help is welcome

1 step further. I installed TWRP theme manager from the play store. this resulted in having TWRP in English.
Next step is to install Supersu. Stored it on the phone. Try to install it, But swipe (to install) doesn't start.
Is this related to the Aqua file? Now looking for a way to install supersu in a different way.

Thanks advised by a tutorial on the first page. Unfortunately we succeeded in one of the passes in turn.
After all, thank you and best regards

if you need a help with update / recovery / root--> http://adf.ly/1ZYoHh
I hope this video helps you out. if you are liked it please give it a thumbs
up in also subscribe for more videos.

Last edited by a moderator: