[HowTo] Install Recovery image

If the phone is connected with a USB cable to the PC in :emoji_sweat_smile: TWRP mode, files can be moved
From a practical point of view, it is better to do "Format Data" after installing the ROM.
Because in some cases it happens that after Format Data the storage in TWRP is unavailable.

OK, this was information I didn't know.

So just in case, if it changes absolutely nothing in terms of "clean installation" anyway, I install the ROM first and then do the Format Data.
Thanks again for your patience!

Perhaps we did not understand each other well:

Then I would do this:
- First, I would boot the new version of "TWRP" for Android 12, via ADB command.
- I would then run the "Install Recovery Ramdisk" command to permanently install this new version
- I would start the "Format data" command to precisely do a clean format of the smartphone, in preparation for installing the stable ROM.

At this point, however, I basically no longer have the operating system installed (goodbye MIUI 12.5)... so I could only transfer the ROM in ZIP format through TWRP... am I wrong? That's why I was asking how I can do that!
yes that is how format data is working…. like you format c:\ in windows

Reactions: gogocar62
"Format Data" will not remove the system (that would be bad).
"Format Data" erases all user data and formats the data partition.
Ok now I understand better, that was information I missed!

So unlike Windows where the user data is basically "together" with the operating system, on Android 12, operating system and user data is like they are in two different partitions, am I wrong?

So at this point, the complete formatting of the previous Android OS, is it done when the new rom is flashed?

yes that is how format data is working…. like you format c:\ in windows

Actually, if I format the "C:" drive in Windows (when I start the clean install from USB stick), I lose EVERYTHING, i.e., operating system + user data, since they are essentially all together.

Instead, from what I understand, with Android 12, it is essentially as if the OS data and user data are separated into two different hard drives:
with the "format data" command, I delete all user data...
and that was exactly what I was wondering: how do I delete all the OS data, and then install the new one?

From what I understand, this last procedure in theory should be done automatically when installing the new ROM, am I wrong?

Actually, if I format the "C:" drive in Windows (when I start the clean install from USB stick), I lose EVERYTHING, i.e., operating system + user data, since they are essentially all together.

Instead, from what I understand, with Android 12, it is essentially as if the OS data and user data are separated into two different hard drives:
with the "format data" command, I delete all user data...
and that was exactly what I was wondering: how do I delete all the OS data, and then install the new one?

From what I understand, this last procedure in theory should be done automatically when installing the new ROM, am I wrong?
so much input.. with format data you will lose all your data. why will you do that? sorry i dont understand your question.,,

so much input.. with format data you will lose all your data. why will you do that? sorry i dont understand your question.,,

So I didn't understand:

According to you, there is no point in doing the "format data"?
Isn't it better to do a clean installation to avoid compatibility issues with a new major version?

Don't turn it into cosmic science. ;)
It is simple:
clean install = Format Data
dirty install (update) = no "Format Data"

At xiaomi.eu, it is not necessary to "Format Data" when switching (updating) to a newer Android or MIUI. This is only useful if there are any problems after the update
The difference from official updates is that xiaomi.eu installs the complete ROM during the update, not just certain parts as is the case with the official OTA update.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
I've read all post of this thread but I didn't found what I was searching for.
I have a Mi 11 which has bootloader unlocked, one year ago I had MIUI 12.5.xx with twrp.
When MIUI 13 with Android 12 came out I updated, without format, to MIUI 13.0.x with fastboot method.
Now twrp for A12 is out so I want to continue updating my phone using twrp.
I don't want to format data because to do a complete backup of all data is so annoying. There isn't any tool that makes it easy to do: I have to store all photo manually, all notes, all voice recording, all in-app data (like saved games or history of gym workouts).
For example I have Google authenticator and if I have to format alla data i will lose all code in that app. Also my bank have to re-approve new device: changing from fastboot to twrp resulting to a phone change.
Also to Google Services, I don't know why.

So: can i updated without format from fastboot to twrp?
Thanks.
And sorry if I have done some English error.

Hi everyone.
I've read all post of this thread but I didn't found what I was searching for.
I have a Mi 11 which has bootloader unlocked, one year ago I had MIUI 12.5.xx with twrp.
When MIUI 13 with Android 12 came out I updated, without format, to MIUI 13.0.x with fastboot method.
Now twrp for A12 is out so I want to continue updating my phone using twrp.
I don't want to format data because to do a complete backup of all data is so annoying. There isn't any tool that makes it easy to do: I have to store all photo manually, all notes, all voice recording, all in-app data (like saved games or history of gym workouts).
For example I have Google authenticator and if I have to format alla data i will lose all code in that app. Also my bank have to re-approve new device: changing from fastboot to twrp resulting to a phone change.
Also to Google Services, I don't know why.

So: can i updated without format from fastboot to twrp?
Thanks.
And sorry if I have done some English error.
did you read my howto?

Do I have to format (not wipe) Data in TWRP
You have to format (not wipe) data in TWRP
- if you install the xiaomi.eu rom for the first time
- if you change from weekly to stable (recommended)
- if you change from stable to weekly (recommended)
- you will loose your data -> make a backup

did you read my howto?

Do I have to format (not wipe) Data in TWRP
You have to format (not wipe) data in TWRP
- if you install the xiaomi.eu rom for the first time
- if you change from weekly to stable (recommended)
- if you change from stable to weekly (recommended)
- you will loose your data -> make a backup
Yes.
But I didn't understand if I have or not to fully delete data.
- "if you install the xiaomi.eu rom for the first time" it's not my first time, I had twrp and now I have fastboot ROM.
- "if you change from weekly to stable" I want to switch only from stables fastboot to stables twrp.
- "if you change from stable to weekly" same of the previous
- "you will loose your data -> make a backup" what?! If the previous are all negative for my case I don't need to "format" data. So, will I lose data also if I don't "format"data?
Sorry but it isn't clear to me, and, maybe is the language limitations, I don't understand if I lose or not my data...

hi,

Can you please advise how to upgrade MI 11 EU ROM , and I am currently on EU ROM 13.0.8. How can I upgrade the current EU ROM version to the latest version? as I went to the fastboot mode and click on intsall and unable to find the latest EU ROM 13.0.12 downloaded on my internal memory of my MI 11 venus phone. Do I have to remove the password and pin ?

so do we need to either wait for the fastboot version for 13.0.12 for MI 11 or we need to do a clean format and reinstall 13.0.12 on the existing version 13.0.8 ? Is that a correct assumption?

Please advise. Appreciate your help. I have gone through this https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/howto-install-recovery-image.66211/ link given by someone and I have a doubt on below steps, I did the same and when I click on install, its unable to find the zipped file "xiaomi.eu_multi_MI11_V13.0.9.0.SKBCNXM_v13-12.zip" then what do I do now ? am I doing something wrong. Please help. Please see the red line below where I am stuck .. I need to update my MI 11 EU ROM 13.0.8 to the latest EU ROM 13.0.12. What am I doing wrong ? Its not asking me the pin/password it goes fine to recovery mode and it shows my phone when I type fastboot devices and when I click install on phone, it does not show the downlaoded file.

Boot and install TWRP / ROM on non A/B device
- type "fastboot.exe flash recovery twrp.img" (without "")
- type "fastboot.exe reboot recovery" (without "")
- TWRP should be loading and then enter PIN/Pattern/Password
- copy downloaded ROM to internal storage of your device
- install the ROM -> see nice pictures from @gogocar62

hi,

Can you please advise how to upgrade MI 11 EU ROM , and I am currently on EU ROM 13.0.8. How can I upgrade the current EU ROM version to the latest version? as I went to the fastboot mode and click on intsall and unable to find the latest EU ROM 13.0.12 downloaded on my internal memory of my MI 11 venus phone. Do I have to remove the password and pin ?

so do we need to either wait for the fastboot version for 13.0.12 for MI 11 or we need to do a clean format and reinstall 13.0.12 on the existing version 13.0.8 ? Is that a correct assumption?

Please advise. Appreciate your help. I have gone through this https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/howto-install-recovery-image.66211/ link given by someone and I have a doubt on below steps, I did the same and when I click on install, its unable to find the zipped file "xiaomi.eu_multi_MI11_V13.0.9.0.SKBCNXM_v13-12.zip" then what do I do now ? am I doing something wrong. Please help. Please see the red line below where I am stuck .. I need to update my MI 11 EU ROM 13.0.8 to the latest EU ROM 13.0.12. What am I doing wrong ? Its not asking me the pin/password it goes fine to recovery mode and it shows my phone when I type fastboot devices and when I click install on phone, it does not show the downlaoded file.

Boot and install TWRP / ROM on non A/B device
- type "fastboot.exe flash recovery twrp.img" (without "")
- type "fastboot.exe reboot recovery" (without "")
- TWRP should be loading and then enter PIN/Pattern/Password
- copy downloaded ROM to internal storage of your device
- install the ROM -> see nice pictures from @gogocar62
do it as i have mentioned it… i think it should not be a problem. if i have not mentioned special things, then they are not relevant. if you are not familar with this detailed howto… then enjoy the sun.

• Haha
Reactions: JiaiJ
Hi guys. I successfully installed twrp and miui 13.0.37 on my Xiaomi 12 pro stable but I have a problem with Magisk. I try to install with patched boot but Magisk doesn't work. I try through TWRP but Magisk doesn't work. Why?

do it as i have mentioned it… i think it should not be a problem. if i have not mentioned special things, then they are not relevant. if you are not familar with this detailed howto… then enjoy the sun.
Can you please update, the link of which file to use for mi 11 - I currently have 13.0.8 EU ROM. why is it unable to find the downloaded file ? Like do we need to unzip or something ? and its not asking for any password when I went to TWRP recovery. thanks.

OK, this was information I didn't know.

So just in case, if it changes absolutely nothing in terms of "clean installation" anyway, I install the ROM first and then do the Format Data.
Thanks again for your patience!
I am unable to move the files when its connected in TWRP mode, and I am unable to find the downloaded Eu ROM when I click on install , is it because the phone is encrypted ? and when I go to my computer, I am unable to see the phone in TWRP mode to move the install latest EU ROM 13.0.9. Is everything ok ? what can I do to upgrade my mi 11 from 13.0.8 to 13.0.9 TWRP recovery rom. Appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited:
do you use the correct twrp try to mount partition in twrp it should ask for pin
can you please advise how to do the mount partition in TWRP. while we are in TWRP mode. I have the downloaded EU ROM in internal storage. its unable to find it. when I click on mount storage, it throws some error, is it because the phone is encrypted ? or do we need to turn off the parallel apps ?

- "if you install the xiaomi.eu rom for the first time" it's not my first time, I had twrp and now I have fastboot ROM.
What about this nonsense whether it is a "fastboot" or a "recovery" ROM?
The type of ROM fastboot or recovery has NOTHING to do with your data.
It only says something about the type of installation.
Your data will only be deleted if you specifically do a data wipe or a format data. And in no installation script is that included except one: *_fastboot_first_install_with_data_format.*
So if none of the cases mentioned by @katerpanne apply to you, you have your answer.

Reactions: katerpanne
Can you please update, the link of which file to use for mi 11 - I currently have 13.0.8 EU ROM. why is it unable to find the downloaded file ? Like do we need to unzip or something ? and its not asking for any password when I went to TWRP recovery. thanks.
Your recovery doesn't decrypt your device. So you have to find one which is able to do so on an A12 device. There are two links given in post #1. You have to try out yourself or maybe someone with the same device as yours can tell you which recovery is working.

Reactions: katerpanne
hi guys, I currently have 13.0.8 mi eu rom version. But i see that for Mi 11 no more fastboot versions launched. I see the latest one is 13.0.9 which is TWRP recovery. Can anyone please confirm, if I can install 13.0.9 TWRP recovery EU ROM on my current fastboot version 13.0.8. If yes, please advise the steps. Appreciate it. Has anyone tried it...Is 13.0.9 EU ROM version working fine on MI 11. so no more fastboot version's for mi 11 ? Please update guys. Thanks.

Reactions: 1647838042
hi guys, I currently have 13.0.8 mi eu rom version. But i see that for Mi 11 no more fastboot versions launched. I see the latest one is 13.0.9 which is TWRP recovery. Can anyone please confirm, if I can install 13.0.9 TWRP recovery EU ROM on my current fastboot version 13.0.8. If yes, please advise the steps. Appreciate it. Has anyone tried it...Is 13.0.9 EU ROM version working fine on MI 11. so no more fastboot version's for mi 11 ? Please update guys. Thanks.
It works well and better than 13.0.8
There is no fastboot version, only twrp

It works well and better than 13.0.8
There is no fastboot version, only twrp
can we install TWRP on a fastboot 13.0.8 ? can you please send me the steps what you have followed to install 13.0.9 ? Appreciate it. did you install from 13.0.8 fastboot to TWRP as well ? Did you do a clean format reinstall ? Thanks for your update. Cheers.

when entered in TWRP recover mode, type "fastboot.exe boot twrp.img" after that, its not asking me a pin or the phone is not showing in the my computer to copy the zip file eu rom, what should I do ? Do we need to remove the ping before putting the phone in the recovery mode ? Please update. thanks.

so will there not be any fastboot rom's for Mi 11 anymore in future....will it be only TWRP rom's ? is that confirmed ?