Hugo Barra headed to Xiaomi

An interesting development.. hopefully he will ensure Xiaomi honour their obligations to push their revisions back to AOSP. Maybe we'll see Xiaomi go global over the coming year too?

Its a double edged sword.

Some of the things that make Xiaomi great, also are the reasons that make them bad. Its good to say that most of their features probably wouldn't pass CTS testing of Android. Thats why they had to remove GApps (my guess), and why they continue to re-make everything to use Baidu instead of Google.

Having Hugo join is great as they will probably start a long (12-18 month) process in order to become a more developer friendly company without abusing licenses like GPL. Though, what makes Xiaomi different and powerful and different is the huge amounts of code to AOSP to make MIUI.

You don't see Samsung, HTC or LG pushing their customized s**t back to AOSP. (Maybe bug fixes and the occasional tiny AOSP feature). Based on at least the decompiling of MIUI stuff, there hooks into AOSP are hacky and definitely not up to the standard for AOSP.

@iBotPeaches
How do they make the ROMs for Mi devices anyway? Are they building from a modified aosp codebase or are they hacking a ROM?
Why they don't release kernel source, there should be a reason behind this.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk 4

@iBotPeaches
How do they make the ROMs for Mi devices anyway? Are they building from a modified aosp codebase or are they hacking a ROM?
Why they don't release kernel source, there should be a reason behind this.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk 4

Xiaomi devices are AOSP built with MIUI merged in, thus why Xiaomi devices are 10000x stabler than any other official phone. Though the "changes" they do to AOSP are hacky and not public, thus updates take forever, and we can infer by the lack of public kernel and not included gapps that the device doesn't pass CTS verification for one reason or another.

Reactions: jwchips