I'm switching to Mi 13 Ultra

digeratz

Members
Jan 15, 2019
I've been a xiaomi phone user since MI3, then redmi then mix2 and 3, then Mi 10 ultra.

Currently, I'm using MI 11 ultra for around 2 years now and I'm happy with it and not thinking of changing any time soon.

until..........

Wifi and Hotspot can't suddenly turn on. I thought it's just software issue so I tried to update but still the same. tried searching the web and found out to be motherboard issue. seems to be some contacts issue due to overheating. a tech wants to charge $250, basically to disassemble the cpu, clean the contacts and reapply something like a glue to fix it.

long story short, instead of paying $250 and not sure when the issue will again reoccur, I decided to switch to MI 13 Ultra (I'm still not happy using other phone like samsung or iphone)

while waiting for the delivery of my new device, I would like to ask your experiences so far with 13 Ultra, any issue I should expect?

is it worth it to wait for the delivery? or should I just cancel? Lol!

Last edited:
I would say, it's worth the wait. It's a great phone, cameras are excellent, and no heating issues. I'm very happy with the 13 Ultra, the photography kit is great too. The 11 Ultra will continue to overheat, even if repaired. The SD888 is the problem. You won't have heating issue with the 13 Ultra. I have the S23 Ultra too, but the 13 Ultra is much better to me.

Reactions: digeratz and s3axel
I would say, it's worth the wait. It's a great phone, cameras are excellent, and no heating issues. I'm very happy with the 13 Ultra, the photography kit is great too. The 11 Ultra will continue to overheat, even if repaired. The SD888 is the problem. You won't have heating issue with the 13 Ultra. I have the S23 Ultra too, but the 13 Ultra is much better to me.
hey! thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm expecting the package to arrive sometime next week and I can't wait. now I'm just using this 11 ultra always thinking that it will just suddenly hung or turned off. I've removed the case since I've known that overheating caused the defect, i've noticed it not heating too much compare to when I'm using a case.

Reactions: Don415
I've been enjoying mine but I think that's to be expected when I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy s7, maybe... 7 years old by now lol

I wouldn't say im big into "portable gaming" but I have been enjoying playing some visual novels on it laying in bed. I do prefer gaming on my pc though. I have been using it a lot for media consumption and I didn't think I'd be doing that as much since i have a Samsung galaxy s5e tablet that I no longer use now because I prefer the phone's performance and OS, The trade off is a smaller screen, but I don't intend on getting a tablet anymore especially after I found out that the phone has the same flagship specs that are on a flagship tablet except 3x bigger battery on a tab.

Anyway, the main reason I got the phone was for photography and because I couldn't resist the white photography kit/style. I don't know a whole lot about photography but since 2021 I've been taking a lot of photos mostly portrait indoor shots of cute dolls to share with the doll community, I needed an upgrade to stop holding me back. :emoji_two_hearts:

Some issues I personally have are wifi 6e working or hope they enable it on a future update if it's not out yet. Before, the phone didn't detect the 6Ghz band but now it does however, I can't connect to it so, im stuck using wifi 6 still (5Ghz). The second thing is adding more editing stuff of the native gallary app like effects, so I don't have to use multiple photo apps. I'm also not getting 5G but that might be because of my carrier (MintMobile) and/or because I have the CN version. But to me these issues aren't major but stuff I wish would be added or worked as I've never tried wifi 6e or 5G. But I'm getting 500/500 wifi and 4G varies in speed but it always feels very fast including videos lie if I'm on wifi and I got to test that recently since I had no wifi for 4 days straight and used 39gb of data xD, i thought it would be slow or throttled when away from wifi but I was completely wrong.

Reactions: digeratz and Mark F
Thanks @AnimeGirlfriend for the response and for sharing your experiences using the 13 Ultra. I'm also eyeing to get that white photography kit. Does it not get dirty quickly? or will it not become yellowish in the future? I actually want the white 13 Ultra as well but the thinking of it becoming yellowish in the future is my primary concern so I opted to order the green one.

Wifi 6e is not an issue with me in my region, Heck, my current network can't even provide a 5g service as promised in my contract, They even said that my 11 Ultra is not compatible but in my previous network, I always get 5g with the 11 ultra. :D

But wifi and hotspot functionalities are a big deal to me, especially now that working from home is part of the new norm (for some). I usually use my phone's hotspot when working from home (or from anywhere away from the office. Lol!). So when this 11 Ultra manifested its sickness, I decided it was time to get the 13 ultra (just to have something to justify the new purchase. hahaha).

@digeratz I haven't had the phone for very long (almost 2 months). Normally, I wouldn't go for something that stands out and I feel like the white version really tries to stand out. I usually always go for plain old black haha. But for sure, I was and still am a bit worried about how the white vegan leather will age over time and I try to take care of it, to not damage/dirty. I'm one of those people that never use a case on their phones or tablets.

That changed with the photography kit that comes with a case and I keep it on all the time so the white back of the phone is protected, it would probably run cooler without a case like most phones to breathe easier but i like keeping the photography kit case on because it comes with a lens cover that I use to protect the 4 cameras and it's quicker to slide in the grip when needed. I did recently dirty it a bit with grease from using tools in the garage bad idea lol but i got it off with antibacterial soap with water on a towel and then rinsed another towel with water to get the soap off then dried it all. I feel like the white version might require some maintenance every couple months, I just don't know what solution to use to not damage the vegan leather and other material on the sides. But antibacterial soap with water might be fine. I wonder if the heat produced from the phone over time might affect the vegan leather like make it yellow, I don't own many white products to know what causes it or when it usually happens, time will tell, i suppose.

I should really contact my phone network to see if it's compatible with them for 5G because they did promise it on the contract as well, i didn't get to test it on my previous network as I had switched networks as soon as I got the 13 ultra.

I didn't think that using the hotspot on the phone with the screen off would consume any power but it does. I had the opportunity to use all the 10GB of hotspot data I had available to me for the first time in a long time. But I didn't use it for the pc as I was saving it for Thursday netflix night since the internet was down, i had it connected to the "nvidia sheild tv pro" streaming box and ended up using it to watch a lot until we used up all the data. It was about 7-8 hours of netflix at 1080p forgot that it was using the phone hotspot because it worked flawlessly.

Reactions: digeratz
The beast has arrived!
ultra.JPG

Now the pain of waiting.... :D
waiting.JPG

Mine has also arrived but I have to wait for 504 hours. Why should have to wait 2 weeks more than you? Do you have any idea?
Is this your first or second time to unlock a bootloader for a xiaomi phone? if it is, that might be the reason. If I remember it correctly, mind is also like that when I'm just starting to do bootloader unlocking.

Is this your first or second time to unlock a bootloader for a xiaomi phone? if it is, that might be the reason. If I remember it correctly, mind is also like that when I'm just starting to do bootloader unlocking.
No, I am doing unlocking for several years.

Finally! Bootloader unlocked, loaded weekly rom.

Noticed something though, looks like battery is draining fast. Fully charged in the morning, around 8am, phone is mostly standby, minimal Instagram, YouTube and browsing. And I'm already getting around 30% battery at around 8pm. It fells like my 2+ yrs 11 ultra last longer.

Here's what I already did so far:
- disabled background autostart of all apps that i don't need to
- disabled app notifications of all apps I don't need to be notified
- turned off nfc(not using it)
- turned on dark mode

Any other things i need to tinker?

Any other things i need to tinker?
Wait for at least 3 days, use and recharge as usual. It takes time for the ROM to stabilize as it try to analyze your usage pattern to minimize power draw at the right time. It will eventually drain normally (should last at least 24 hours with 4-6 hours SoT if not more depending on many other factors).

Reactions: digeratz