Instruction, How To Fix Google Market Error 963 Part 1

Your approach will never works. You should re-flash all from scratch. First of all - do this. Then unlock, TWRP (see instruction). Only then xiaomi.eu ROM. And as a profit - market will work.

I've managed to get it to work. The problem was that some of the aspects of the native android installation went wrong.

Thank you very, very much for your help and for writing this guide.

After that, when tab will rebooted you will get native android in it. Now you reboot into recovery (of course it should be unlocked), flash TWRP.

Hi, one question before I start. In your instructions you reboot into recovery and flash TWRP. However, in your instructions for flashing TWRP you do it in fastboot mode. Can you please be more specific which is right? I guess from native android one should boot into fastboot to flash TWRP?

Hi, one question before I start. In your instructions you reboot into recovery and flash TWRP. However, in your instructions for flashing TWRP you do it in fastboot mode. Can you please be more specific which is right? I guess from native android one should boot into fastboot to flash TWRP?

I did it from Fastboot.

Hi, now I went through all the process. It finally worked, but now I have still the Google Play error 963.

The only thing was, that TWRP didn't mount the internal storage to my computer and I couldn't copy the ROM-file (adb sideload also failed).

So I decided to reboot into the native android and pushed the file with adb from there. Could this be the reason why I still get the error?

I guess it is a driver problem which makes me unable to copy files directly in TWRP. In the device manager of my Win7 Alcatel ADB Interface is written

Last edited:
Do you mean full wipe (also system and internal storage?) after flashing the native ROM and TWRP via fastboot? The problem is, that I cannot transfer the ROM file via TWRP to the Tab because nothing pops up on my computer. So, when I do a real full wipe I will be stuck in the TWRP having no possibility to flash a ROM or to boot a ROM.

Which TWRP are you using? In the 2.8.7 one, the MTP does NOT work. Try to flash it and then check.

I flashed the one linked in Papka_'s Instructions to flash TWRP. It's version 3.0. When I plug in the USB-cable my PC recognizes the device but there is no MTP device in the explorer visible. MTP works fine from MIUI but not from TWRP. Do I need certain drivers?

edit: I just ordered a OTG cable. Meanwhile any suggestion is much appreciated. ;-)

Last edited:
Have you tried the ADB drivers?
Don't know how it is on Windows, 'cause I'm a Linux guy. Have you checked the MTP in TWRP settings?

I activated and deactivated MTP and there is always the sound notification that a USB devices is recognized but nothing shows up in the Explorer. Very strange, I thought MTP protocol is a kind of a standard . But I believe the problem is somewhere in my computer. Hopefully, the OTG cable works, so can mount a USB storage in TWRP.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

This method only works if I keep my bootloader unlocked, right?
Or can I relock my bootloader after finishing all these steps? I don't like the annoying warning when booting up the tablet with unlocked bootloader...

Finally, I was able to solve my problem. I had a strange driver installed that was coming with adb minimal. I just installed the package and drivers from google which is bigger but works flawless. And now my error 963 is gone :). So, thx for the instructions and the support.

In TWRP (below 3.0) MTP is not working.

You can send file via adb.
1' check if tablet is visible - adb devices
2' send file - adb push localFileName /sdcard

Ok, last post regarding TWRP and MTP because the problem is solved for me. I have TWRP 3.0 and MTP didn't work because I had wrong driver on my computer. Also ADB sideload failed. However, now MTP works again as I changed the driver on my PC.

As I've already posted on another thread, the solution that has worked to fix Google Play Error 963 is to uninstall Google Play updates from app settings. There is no need to factory reset as suggested by many posters, unless you have flashed a corrupted ROM. Most of you probably know the steps but if you don't, this post explains it in detail along with other possible methods to solve this error: http://valuestuffz.blogspot.com/2015/06/how-to-fix-error-963-android-google-play.html

Last edited:
[...]the solution that has worked to fix Google Play Error 963 is to uninstall Google Play updates from app settings[...]
I had read and try this solution before re-wipe my tablet like the guide in this post...
...for me, it didn't work.
Only this tread save my tablet...

Reactions: Shawn_Reg