Making system partition RW

ntlkr

Members
Jan 3, 2024
Does anyone know how to mount the /system partition as RW while booted into system on shennong? (currently on latest twrp and 24.1.29DEV firmware)

The integrated option in twrp fails, as the partition format is not supported. The RO2RW module causes a softbrick. Tried to use DFS as prerequisite, but it doesn't work aswell.

Any ideas? I would really want to customize the boot animation and do some other tweaks, but of course this is not possible rn.

Reactions: drabha
Does anyone know how to mount the /system partition as RW while booted into system on shennong? (currently on latest twrp and 24.1.29DEV firmware)

The integrated option in twrp fails, as the partition format is not supported. The RO2RW module causes a softbrick. Tried to use DFS as prerequisite, but it doesn't work aswell.

Any ideas? I would really want to customize the boot animation and do some other tweaks, but of course this is not possible rn.
i am in the same boat. cant do rw partition in mi 14 pro. hope somebody can be help

Hello. This is lebigmac, the original author of the unique and original System-RW / Super-RW / Make-RW / ro2rw software.
I created this unique software from scratch and I can confirm that it works with the latest MIUI 14.0.10.0 on my Redmi Note.
I wanted to try my System-RW script with the latest Hyperos v1.0.8. firmware, but I immediately uninstalled it after I saw the new HyperOS setup wizard. It just took way too long to set it all up and get the device going. And once the new software was running, the device became so slow and there was visible lag. I honestly prefer the latest MIUI firmware but that's just my personal preference. I might give HyperOS another try in the future once they made it smoother and faster, but I don't see why my System-RW script shouldn't work with it, I mean it's just another stock Android ROM after all...

I managed to do the System-RW, almost Full-RW on the latest MIUI 14.0.10.0..
On all my Xiaomi's from 2022 and earlier, I can easily unlock the ADB Root procedure no problem but on the 2023 Xiaomi Redmi Note I cannot do it WTF?!
What did you do Xiaomi? You messed it all up! Trying to become the new Samsung aren't you?
EDIT: nevermind got it to work :D

Anyways. Just a quick warning for y'all : don't fall for that fake RO2RW copycat by that dubious cyberpirate leegarchat. Just because he's on xda doesn't mean he's legit. Just saying. It could contain a keylogger or virus or whatever. I cannot guarantee that his fake version of my RO2RW project does not contain any malware. Also I cannot offer any customer support for any unauthorized, dubious stolen copies of my work. Thanks for your understanding.

You can always download the latest version of my unique and original System-RW / Super-RW / Make-RW / ro2rw software at my personal homepage. See my profile for the link. (currently doing some maintenance)

Here is the direct link to the original System-RW version 1.42 by lebigmac
Just extract the .apk like any other .zip file. Inside the /res/raw subfolder you will find a sysrw zip file. Extract it. Now you should have a sysrw_1.42 folder.
You can remove all the permissive Samsung kernels that are included to make the package smaller (~25 MB)

Once you have extracted the sysrw_1.42 folder just push it to your phone like this:
Bash:
adb push sysrw_1.42 /data/local/tmp/

Make the sysrw launcher executable:
Bash:
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp/sysrw_1.42
chmod +x ./sysrw

Now you can launch the System-RW script:
Bash:
./sysrw

Or if you want to work with a different super.img than the one that's currently installed, just use the input parameter of the script:
Bash:
./sysrw in=img/super_new.img

If your super.img contains mostly EROFS (or F2FS) sub-partitions, then you will probably have to use the included Auto-Debloat feature since EXT4 file-system format does not use any compression by default!
To activate Auto-Debloat mode just write auto_debloat=1 into the sysrw_1.42/options/config.ini file and save it
And you must also write a list of all the bloatware that you would like to auto-debloat at runtime into the sysrw_1.42/options/auto_debloat.txt file and save it

Enjoy making your System-RW and customizing your next-generation Android device however you like!
If you have any questions just ask! Yes I will make a video tutorial for the beginners when I have more time...
Good luck!

Last edited: