New MI 1 - v.3.4.5 Clock time zone

Iain_B

Members
Mar 25, 2013
This is not so much a bug, but a problem with the naming of the London time-zone. Microsoft have it wrong, and other people seem to follow.

The time-zone in London is sometimes called Western European Time. This is the same as UTC (give or take a few microseconds), or Greenwich Mean Time (both winter only).
However, over the summer (sometimes called: Daylight Saving Time), it is called British Summer Time - GMT +1:00. To call it Greenwich Mean Time during the summer months is wrong because it is one hour out.

GMT / Greenwich Mean Time is an international standard which does not change, whether it be summer or winter.

Going into Settings / Time Zone - under the 'London , Dublin' zone, it has it correct - 'GMT+01:00, British Summer Time'. However, under the clock, it is putting 'Greenwich Mean Time', which is wrong.

Wikipedia seem to have it correct:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time
and the BBC use it correctly for their scheduling:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldserviceradio/programmes/schedules

There is still an incorrect display as Greenwich Mean Time when it should read British Summer Time.

Edit:
From the Summer Time Act 1972, (An Act to consolidate the enactments relating to summer time):
"The time for general purposes in Great Britain shall, during the period
of summer time, be one hour in advance of Greenwich mean time."
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1972/6#commentary-c823097)

Still incorrectly displaying GMT when it should be BST (British Summer Time), or GMT +01:00.

Still, on 27th October it will become correct again - correctly displaying GMT - I am assuming anyway.

That is, until 30th March 2014 (unless it is corrected), when it will be one hour out again.

Why can people not get this right? GMT (Zulu) is an international standard that does not change.

I have had a closer look at the clock zone names and it appears to be a problem with the way that the program has been written. I have looked at about 20 different time zones that seem to have a different summer/daylight time and they ALL specify the WINTER-time zone name under the clock - for instance, it ALWAYS (under the clock) displays the 'Standard' time instead of the 'Summer' or 'Daylight' time. Yet in Settings / Date & Time / Select time zone, all of the currently correct zone time names are displayed.

If the correct zone time name is displayed in the settings section, why can that same name not be correctly used under the clock, or at as an alternative give just the zone name instead of always the winter-time zone name?

As examples:
Zone: . . . Mountain Time . . . . . ./ . . . . . Western European Time
Winter: . .Mountain Standard Time . ./ . Greenwich Mean Time
Summer: Mountain Daylight Time . ./. . British Summer Time

Last edited:
Greenwich Mean Time is now correct in being displayed. I wonder if this will be sorted by 30th March 2014 when we go back to BST (GMT+1), or the other time zones when they go back to their daylight saving modes?