Mi 8 EIS stabilization for video

snake0101

Members
Jun 18, 2016
Hi all,

I've been trying to find this info over various forums but can't seem to nail it down. Could someone please let me know:

- will the EU rom enable camera2 api by default?
- has anyone successfully used video recording on Mi 8 with stabilization? If so, could you please share your experience?
- is there any information/rumours about whether the stock camera app will enable EIS?

I was deciding between Oneplus 6 and the Mi 8, and in the end went with the Mi 8 but the video issue is a huge one for me... starting to doubt my decision :s

thanks

MIX2S, MI8, MI8SE has Camera2API enabled by default...

Reactions: Lotus
Really!? That is great news! Does that mean I can go and install *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* on this and it will work without a hiccup?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Using the default camera apps, Oneplus 6 seems to have a rock-solid stabilisation in video using both OIS+EIS, whereas the Mi 8 comes up short:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Although in 4k, OP6 crops the frame quite a bit:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also I found some more information below regarding *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum*. It seems a custom mod to the apk is required and there is no one currently working on it. Some seem to be reporting using an older version made for Mi Mix 2 with some workaround:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-8/themes/mi-8-google-camera-mod-t3803984

I think OP6 folks have had several updates to make the EIS implemented on their phones. Given Mi 8 was released later, I can understand there will be some waiting. The question is, when will (or will there ever be) EIS enabled for Mi 8? Xiaomi isn't known for quick software updates...