Mi 8 SE not able to flash TWRP?

downhouse

Members
Feb 7, 2019
I'm trying to restore my Google backup on my new Mi 8 SE (xiaomi.eu rom installed from seller) but I didn't get the option on booting the new phone, and I cant find anywhere in the settings that would allow this either? So I'm thinking I will flash the latest TWRP recovery and then the latest xiaomi.eu rom to the phone.

I downloaded this version of TWRP for the Mi 8 SE: recovery-TWRP-3.2.3-1227-XIAOMI8SE-CN-wzsx150.img
I've booted into fastboot mode and then ran fastboot flash recovery-TWRP-3.2.3-1227-XIAOMI8SE-CN-wzsx150.img
the output from the flash command shows "OK", but I can't boot into TWRP, the phone only allows booting into fastboot mode or regular boot into the OS.

The phone says "Unlocked" at the bottom of the screen when I start it up, but could it be that the bootloader is still locked?
Anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do with a brand new Mi8SE to install TWRP / flash latest xiaomi.eu?

Updating my Mi 8 SE unrooted my phone and I couldn't boot into recovery (stuck on Unlocked screen). I reflashed TWRP-3.2.3-1227 using the same command you used and was able to successfully boot into it.

You can root the phone if the data partition is unencrypted, go to Advanced > RM Forceencrypt then go to Advanced > Install Root. This will install Magisk 16.6.

Excellent, seems to work. Is it possible to root the phone with magisk? Tried flashing the latest magisk 18.1 but I get an error in the TWRP process.
Just use the magisk in TWRP at the moment. Any other version causes bootloop on Mi 8 SE.