Mi5 Flagshit. Gps, Wifi

Matija_Bambir

Members
Aug 23, 2014
2 month old mi5 pro have much weaker wireless and gps.
1. Wiriless range is i smaller compare to redmi 4 prime. While signal drop on mi5,redmi 4 prime still full. Range is better for 3 meaters. And if course because better range also het better measuring speed.

2 gps is much better on redmi 4
In 2-5 seconds on redmi 4 already 24 sat in view and 12 locked.
While on mi5 pro in 30 sec only 10-15 in view and 6-8 locked.

What will give you result of accuracy
Mi5pro 40 - 80 (feet)
Screenshot_2016-11-25-08-42-39-506_com.chartcross.gpstest.png

Redmi 4prime 10 - 20 (feet)
Screenshot_2016-11-25-08-42-47-768_com.chartcross.gpstest.png

(this testing is from the room, 1m from window)

Mi5 pro clean flash (format data) 6.11.10
Redmi 4 prime clean flash (format data) 6.11.17

So comparing to mi5 pro redmi in this case have only weaker camera. !!!!

Last edited:
Please note that GPS fix don't work along with quick charge. In your screenshots the MI 5 is charging so try it without. Mine is working very well with normal charger in car but when I switch to quick charge it's loosing connection.

Reactions: Matija_Bambir
Iy was really good outside. Just want to point that in my room redmi 4 shows better receiving on gps signal and wifi signal. What is kinda disappointing comparing the price and class.

I don't have any of those problems. And I'm on 6.11.3 Xiaomi.eu version. Maybe a full wipe and rom install could solve those things. Cheers!

How you know. Did you compare it to redmi 4. I am not saying it doesn't work. Just that mi5 have weaker reception compare redmi4

I do have a Sony Xperia Z 3 compact so I compare with that one. And that phone is a monster compared to MI 5. I prayed to break by itself and it's keep on going every day with hard abuse from my 8 year old son. Also I did long trips with both as navigation systems just to make sure that MI5 would be as dependable as Sony and they both work just the same.

GPS issue is a known issue in mi5. in main forum a lot of people from over the world also reported the same issue. I had also the same issue. it got better when i switch from global to eu rom. nothing spectacular though. compared to my asus zenfone, the GPS lock in mi5 is much worse (took me 5 to 30 second to lock in mi5 and only 1 to 3 second in Asus, side by side outdoor). I have tried every possible way from changing settings, rooting and manually configure gps.conf. But, no noticeable improvement. That said, thou not as good as my Asus, it is still usable.

no issue for wifi for me. wifi works better than my asus.

That's sad about gps. I guess is hardware issue more than software.
About wifi it work fast but range is shorter. Just wanted to compare to redmi 4 pro (150€) compare to mi5 pro (400€).

You compare redmi 4 and mi5??? If not how yiu can know. I never said it doesn't work. Just said that on redmi 4 works better.
I have
5x redmi 4 pro devices
2x mi5 pro
1x redmi note 4 64gb

I agree with Matija, the point is comparing with other cheaper devices. Mi5 has definitely strong points in other areas (speed, design, etc). but, for GPS (at least for me and some other users), it is lacking alot compared to other devices. It still can work. but not as good as cheaper devices. for flagship, we could at least expect the same performance of basic function like GPS compared to lower end devices.

I agree with Matija, the point is comparing with other cheaper devices. Mi5 has definitely strong points in other areas (speed, design, etc). but, for GPS (at least for me and some other users), it is lacking alot compared to other devices. It still can work. but not as good as cheaper devices. for flagship, we could at least expect the same performance of basic function like GPS compared to lower end devices.

As I said above, I've never had those problems. Have my mi5 for a month now and my GPS works perfectly, even inside tunnels.

I have mi5 since 10 months now... and simply ... WORKS. I have times when i get 3~4 m accuracy on this device. More than enough for me. Locking is INSTANT.

Ofc, it's not on the same par with Mi4c as wifi and signal quality, but this is life. They are designed differently. Diff. technology also!

You choose to use REDMI series... it will work for you. I choose MI5 series after using 2 Redmi phones and few MI phone's.

IF you start comparing apples with pears it will not work. I can compare Iphone 6 or 7 to Mi5 ... but it will not be feasible.

People buying VERTU for god sake.. and not complain about satellites or camera while spending thousands of euro on a phone.

My point is: if you are happy with Redmi4 .. sell the Mi5 and buy another 2 of those.. just to have them as spare parts, or just in case you broke one. And after that, you will have some money left. :)

Last edited: