Mi9: Multitouch / Pinch & Zoom dysfunctional after upgrade to MIUI 11 / Android 10 (11.0.3.0.QFACNXM)

rfkat

Members
Jan 2, 2020
Hi folks,

first of all: thanks for providing this great software, and for investing your time into offering it for free to so many people. I really appreciate that!

Having seen the issue on my device with lots of apps already installed, I tried to reproduce it on a blank slate installation to make sure it's not related to any apps. The issue happens there, too.

Steps to reproduce, on my device:
  1. Use Mi flasher MiFlash20181115 to install 10.2.14.0.PFAMIXM (using cepheus_global_images_V10.2.14.0.PFAMIXM_20190912.0000.00_9.0_global_3820346dbd.tgz)
  2. Mi 9 boots into Android, all fine; for initialization, only entered my account info
  3. OTA upgrade to 11.0.3.0.QFACNXM offered; accepted; downloaded > 2GB; reboot
  4. MIUI 11 and Android 10 show up as expected, but Multitouch / Pinch & Zoom dysfunctional (see description below)
  5. Went back to 10.2.14.0.PFAMIXM (as described in step 1), no more Multitouch / Pinch & Zoom issues, everything back to normal
[Update 2020-01-05: as indicated in my follow-up post below, testing the weekly 9.12.27 does not solve the issue, either]
[Update 2020-01-05 II: Reported model name of my device is M1902F1G, in case that makes a difference]

Issue description:
Checked with all multitouch testing apps I could find: placing two fingers very closely to each other on the screen gets them recognized; but no more than two fingers get recognized, no matter how close I manage to put them on the screen. As soon as I move the two fingers apart just a few mm, the device "loses" one finger and recognizes only one. This matches the behavior I'm now seeing in all (!) apps where Pinch & Zoom worked flawlessly before: under 11.0.3.0.QFACNXM, Pinch & Zoom only works for a few mm; after moving the fingertips further apart, the apps behave as if I was using only 1 finger.
Since reverting to 10.2.14.0.PFAMIXM fixes the issue, I think it is safe to exclude hardware defects. Also interesting: under EEA ROMS, upgrading to 11.0.6.0.PEAMIXM introduces the same issue.

I'm not sure whether it might be related to MIUI 11 or Android 10. Now, I'm running out of ideas, especially since only a few others seem to have this issue and I can't spot where I might be making a mistake. Any ideas?

Rolf

Last edited:
Maybe I'm getting it wrong but from what you wrote your're installing Official Global ROMs or Stable from xiaomi.eu . Did you consider to try weekly beta builds from xiaomi.eu and see if your issue is reproduced??

I checked in my wife's mi9 with 9.12.27 with multi touch tester and it looks like it recognize up to 9 fingers ( this many I could put and move on screen ;))

Last edited:
Reactions: rfkat
Maybe I'm getting it wrong but from what you wrote your're installing Official Global ROMs or Stable from xiaomi.eu . Did you consider to try weekly beta builds from xiaomi.eu and see if your issue is reproduced??

I checked in my wife's mi9 with 9.12.27 with multi touch tester and it looks like it recognize up to 9 fingers ( this many I could put and move on screen ;))

You're right - I was expecting a stable version to lead to fewer issues. Since I don't have anything to lose anymore ;-), I'll trust your 9 fingers and give it a try. If it works, I'll scratch my head and will ponder whether staying on a weekly version is a good idea. Lets see. For the time being: thank you for your encouragement. :)

Last edited:

Sadly, I'm not as lucky as your wife: 9.12.27 suffers from the same multitouch dysfunction as the stable ROM, on my device.

Well same for myself miui11 global & miui11 eu multitouche not working on my mi9 but on miui 10 working perfectly.
Weird af because a MI9 from a friend is working perfectly ....

I experience the same problem (Mi9 global, global ROM 11.0.5.0 QFAMIXM). It appears to be a software problem: enabling the Game Turbo option completely fixes this for any given app. I checked this by enabling Game turbo for a multitouch-test-app, after doing so it recognizes 10 simultaneous touches with ease. However, unfortunately not all apps are listed in the Game Turbo option, so for example for Youtube, Google Maps etc. it cannot be enabled.

Really considering attempting to flash a custom ROM, but so far I am not willing to lose Widevine L1...
Hopefully the bug will be fixed when MIUI 12 arrives...

I will post an update here in case I find a solution while it's relevant for me (i.e., I still own the Mi 9). Please abstain from writing me private messages asking whether I have found a solution.

On my Xiaomi MI9 multitouch also does not working, when I play games on Game Turbo it works perfectly. . .

Same issue, was hoping it would be fixed in MIUI 12 by sadly not. I'll be selling this and avoiding Xiaomi in the future.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: puhon
Hey everyone,

as of today I am experiencing the same problem. Using a Mi9 with weekly EU ROM. Any updates on your side?